Funimation News

[quote=psychopuppet]
Seriously though why does everyone want what their up-scaling DVD player can do just fine and in some cases probably better?[/quote]

The pretty blue cases, perhaps? :dry: :unsure: :blink: :wink: :laugh:

###Funimation Adds Peace Maker
posted on 2010-06-25 19:20 EDT
also Chrono Crusade, Gantz, Kaleido Star

Sneaky damn thieves. :smiley:

The ADV release for each of those shows is better than what Funimation will put out. That’s a fact.

I too understand that every company re-licenses anime that was done by another company once the license expires. That’s business, and it’s smart business. My problem is with a company(Sojitz, couldn’t think of the name yesterday) that rips a huge chunk of titles that are under contract and underhandedly licenses them to Funi. It’s something that you see everyday in business, and its not right. For that, I will never buy a funi product.
Slick

[quote=chrisc]

[quote=dragonrider_cody]

[quote=chrisc]
The thing that was pissing people off before was big titles was going sub only if Clannad never got licensed or went right to dub, not many people would have complained. I thought it was a sick joke at first, I couldn’t believe it. Before the announcement I couldn’t wait to buy 6 volumes at over $120 for Clannad. Toradora I just don’t care anymore.[/quote]

Big titles to YOU, not necessarily big titles in the market place. What are often big titles in japan and in the hardcore fan group will quite often underperform in the US. The thing with Clannad that’ s funny is that we got a bilingual release just as quickly as if Funi licensed it, given their usual turn around speed.

Regardless, threatening someone is going too far over a damn DVD release. The “fans” that that did so are just pathetic.[/quote]

Clannad is Sentai Filmworks best selling anime, Yes its a big title. Threatening someone is going to far, but Sentai Filmworks biggest mistake was not telling us up front it was going sub only we had to wait until we saw it listed at Rightstuf as sub only. [/quote]

Actually Sentai confirmed it was subonly barely an hour after the news it was switching to half season sets. In fact, the original Right Stuf listings for the sets had it as HYBRID, and they weren’t corrected for sometime. I remember this because when I preordered it from Right Stuf, it still said “Hybrid” as did Indian Summer. Indian Summer wasn’t corrected until it was almost ready to start shipping.

And no, Clannad is not Sentai’s biggest selling title. That distinction actually belongs to Appleseed, which explains why it was their first bluray and their first new dub. Appleseed is a big title, and has been successful for everyone that has released it and it’s sequel.

Clannad is not a big title. It’s a successful title, and likely does several thousand unit per release, but it doesn’t hold a candle to large titles like Appleseed, Gundam, or probably even Moribito. Its sales numbers certainly can’t compare to the real big titles like Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach, Pokemon, etc. Clannad is a strong niche title. But it’s still a niche titles. That fact that Best Buy is not carrying the complete collection in store should be telling.

So I noticed that Navarre reported their earnings for 2nd quarter of fiscal year 2011. Some things to note:

Original article: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Navarre-Corporation-Reports-pz-4153898257.html?x=0&.v=1

So it looks like Funimation is still up for sale, but nothing is confirmed, and I guess it will be a while before we know anything.

Funimation sales increase, of course, always a good thing.

I feel sorry for the company that buys funimation, there is a lot of house cleaning to do

[quote=ZakuAce]
Funimation sales increase, of course, always a good thing.[/quote]

I’m pleased to hear that.

[quote=Haissan]
I feel sorry for the company that buys funimation, there is a lot of house cleaning to do[/quote]

What?

[quote=ZakuAce]

[quote=Haissan]
I feel sorry for the company that buys funimation, there is a lot of house cleaning to do[/quote]

What?[/quote]

Well, they are dirt bags.
Slick

there is a great deal of behind the curtain crap going on. For instance, has anyone seen cashern? well, the director spent the majority of his time playing magic the gathering with the sound engineer…anything good with that show has to do with the actors.

another thing, a va saw a drug deal go down while he was in the booth.

lets not get started with those people who would get jobs for sex.

one of the big dramas is many of the vas only want lead characters, so they only want the roles that have 70 hours of recording time and so on. its difficult to fill the secondary roles…

[quote=Haissan]
lets not get started with those people who would get jobs for sex.[/quote]

Oh nice. Buying anime from a whorehouse. :expressionless:

[quote=Snowy_Stampede]

[quote=Haissan]
lets not get started with those people who would get jobs for sex.[/quote]

Oh nice. Buying anime from a whorehouse. :|[/quote]

That’s just “standard” Hollywood operating procedure. It could also be the director’s girlfriend (or boyfriend) gets a part in the series he (or she) is helming.

true but still unethical

[quote=Haissan]
true but still unethical[/quote]

Ethics? We’re talking entertainment here! :wink:

not for buisness practice…I know you’re being sarcastic

Only partly. I really do believe that some in the entertainment industry see themselves as above the law and free to do what they want. It’s probably the result of spending too much time in a fantasy world.

HA! Something about this whole exchange is hilarious.

In all seriousness, as some people have pointed out on other forums, the 2nd quarter last year was dismal for many companies, including Navarre and Funimation. A small net increase in sales would not be surprising.

However, considering the number of titles Funimation has in it’s catalog, the fact that it’s ownership is still in question leaves me a little leery. I know the higher ups at Funi are saying there will be no changes, but with enough money on the table, all bets are off. Not to mention, what happens if Navarre can’t find a buyer and continues to struggle to grow?

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
However, considering the number of titles Funimation has in it’s catalog, the fact that it’s ownership is still in question leaves me a little leery. I know the higher ups at Funi are saying there will be no changes, but with enough money on the table, all bets are off. Not to mention, what happens if Navarre can’t find a buyer and continues to struggle to grow?[/quote]

This.

Remember what happened when Geneon went down and when ADV went Zombie for a little while. Now imagine those again ,but with no company with enough money to rescue anything. There in lay my fear.

Course another issue that is really I think pushing back is not as many new shows to license anymore and in order to keep their name in marketing they have to keep licensing something. Funimation really just appears to be falling into that fan pandering sink hole ADV and Geneon fell into. We all know what happened then. Funimation also attracted the fans from the wrong side of the tracks. The ones that care more about hearing then then having it. Ones that have money but usually rather put it towards candy and soda then Anime. Course they are trying to re-attract the older fans now so my guess is those candy and soda fans are finally showing their colors.

So Funimation in their usual we re-version stuff for English decided to use one standard first episode opening like the original Pioneer release did instead of the unique openings for each episode. The last release from Geneon " remix and the tins " had these.

Why because there may not exist clean copies of all the OP’s. So Funimation instead of just putting the English credits after the Japanese ending decided to just use the first OP it seems since it has a clean copy. It’s like they never want the Japanese to have credit for their work or something. It’s become standard practice with pretty much everyone to just put the English credits after the Japanese ending.

Now the kicker is the online sub episodes have the unique op’s.lol