Anime Network Online Player Reports/Problems/Updates Thread

I have the Index issue in Chrome. Two series titles are superimposed on one another, making it impossible to select certain titles.

Screenshot

Title: Patlabor OVA
Language Version: subtitled version only
Video Format: both
Episode Numbers: at least 1 and 4, probably all of them

The video is very obviously stretched in the vertical direction on the subtitled version of the Patlabor OVA, making everything look too tall and skinny. A good example of this can be seen 2m35s into episode 4: the round thing above the car appears circular in the dubbed version but oval in the subbed version, and the chrysanthemum badge on the labor is partially off the top of the screen in the subbed version but entirely on the screen in the dubbed version.

ok…last week there were no new episodes on the vod channel. this week they put new episodes up but they skipped one episode of all the shows. minor problem because I just watched the missing episodes online. the thing is I can’t watch stella cs because on the shows list SUNDAY WITHOUT GOD is on top of stella c3 instead of in the empty space above were it should be. when I mouse over it sunday without god shows but not stella c3. there are other listings like this also. can this be straightend out? thanks.

In addition to the Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network, you can also select shows from the Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network page.

That’s the other way to get to Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network

-Joe

every show seems to be off. the alignment was having the show centered in the area of the flash player, but now a bit on the left side is cut off by about 10 pixels unless viewing in full screen mode.

first noticed with Yuyushiki since VOD will not be getting them and users are forced to watch it in ANO, then random other shows tested with random episodes and ALL seem to have the alignment problem.

my guess would be the problem lies in one of these variables. either the CSS for “player”, “express_player”, the classid, or the actual embed’s align are conflicting. not sure how it is cutting off the few pixels on the left of the video though…but something isnt cooperating in this section or either whatever it is a child of as far as style settings go. when in doubt, blame the DIV style is my motto.

Hey Shadzar,

Can you confirm the following for us so we can further assist you:

-What shows and what episodes have you experienced this on?

-What browser are you using to view the website and shows in?

-What version is the browser you are using?

-Is your flash player currently up to date?

If possible, can you provide a screen shot of what you are seeing?

Thank you Shadzar,

-Mo-

[quote=“SpaceCobraJoe” post=158207]

In addition to the Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network, you can also select shows from the Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network page.

That’s the other way to get to Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network

-Joe[/quote]

ohhhh yea. I forgot all about that option.

thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: So this may not be a TAN thing. It’s happening to me on Crunchyroll as well. I normally watch Crunchyroll on my PS3, so never noticed. Hm…

Technical Issue Report

• Give us a short summary of the problem you are experiencing with the Online Player.

Videos will just stop mid-stream, go to the title’s splash screen, and start over if I press play, or tell me that the connection has failed. From my observations, it’s happening after nine minutes of play from any part of the video.

• Did this just start happening, has it been going on for a while or is it a problem that came back after being fixed?

Haven’t been watching much on TAN lately, so I don’t know. It’s possible that it started after upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 on my laptop. My Windows 8.1 tablet is new and has the same playback problem.

• Affected Show Title(s) - is it happening to a particular show, certain shows or everything

Everything so far.

• Affected Episode Number(s) - is it happening to a particular episode, certain episodes or all episodes

All episodes.

• Affected Language Version - if the show is Dual Language, is it the dubbed, dubbed or both versions that are affected

Both subbed and dubbed.

• Affected Video Format - is it the SD, HD or both versions that are affected

Both SD and HD.

• What Operating System are you using? Which version is it? (Windows Vista, Mac 10.4, etc)

Windows 8.1. Seems to work fine on Windows 7.

• What Browser are you using? Which version is it? (Chrome, Internet Explorer 7, FireFox 3.6, etc)

Latest IE11 and Firefox.

• Is it happening in just one Browser or multiple browsers?

Both browsers that I use.

• Is your Flash Player/Plugin up to date?

Yes.

[quote=“Asrialys” post=158478]EDIT: So this may not be a TAN thing. It’s happening to me on Crunchyroll as well. I normally watch Crunchyroll on my PS3, so never noticed. Hm…

Technical Issue Report

• Give us a short summary of the problem you are experiencing with the Online Player.

Videos will just stop mid-stream, go to the title’s splash screen, and start over if I press play, or tell me that the connection has failed. From my observations, it’s happening after nine minutes of play from any part of the video.

• Did this just start happening, has it been going on for a while or is it a problem that came back after being fixed?

Haven’t been watching much on TAN lately, so I don’t know. It’s possible that it started after upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 on my laptop. My Windows 8.1 tablet is new and has the same playback problem.

• Affected Show Title(s) - is it happening to a particular show, certain shows or everything

Everything so far.

• Affected Episode Number(s) - is it happening to a particular episode, certain episodes or all episodes

All episodes.

• Affected Language Version - if the show is Dual Language, is it the dubbed, dubbed or both versions that are affected

Both subbed and dubbed.

Both SD and HD.

• What Operating System are you using? Which version is it? (Windows Vista, Mac 10.4, etc)

Windows 8.1. Seems to work fine on Windows 7.

• What Browser are you using? Which version is it? (Chrome, Internet Explorer 7, FireFox 3.6, etc)

Latest IE11 and Firefox.

Both browsers that I use.

Yes.[/quote]

So this is happening to me on Crunchyroll as well. I normally watch Crunchyroll on my PS3, so I never noticed. However, now that I think about it, the video did occasionally stop on Crunchyroll, but not this often. I wonder if the issue may actually be my network. I still have the same old DSL, but I recently had to replace my modem router with a new modem and router. Well, I’ll see what happens when I get faster U-verse later this month…

Technical Issue Report

-Lots of buffering. HD videos will pause and buffer around once every one or two minutes. Sometimes more frequently and sometimes less.
    -Occasionally the video framerate will drop to around 1 frame per second for around 5 seconds, while the audio plays normally, and then the framerate will go back to normal by itself. This happens around as frequently as the buffering in each video.
    -Around once every 15 minutes, the video will freeze, the audio will suddenly rewind about a second back, and the video will unfreeze when the audio catches up to it.

The buffering and the framerate problems weren’t happening much around a month ago, but have been happening more often recently. The video freeze/audio rewind problem has always been happening that frequently.

Everything.

All Episodes.

Both.

Both. It happens frequently on HD videos, and less frequently on SD videos (sometimes not at all on SD videos)

Windows 7.

Chrome and Firefox, latest versions of both.

Multiple.

Yes.

If you are having trouble with smooth video playback, tell us about your internet connection:

• What type of connection are you using? (Cable, DSL, WiFI, ect)
    Cable. I’ve tried using wifi and ethernet.

• Run a speed test and post the download speed results - we recommend http://www.speedtest.net/
    Download - 16.23 Mbps
    Upload - 1.11 Mbps

Sometimes it works fine though, maybe it depends on your server load?
I can stream 1080p videos from Crunchyroll or YouTube without any problems.

Thanks for your help.

horrible horrible ads! They automatically play and even spew audio when I watching anime! Arrrgggghhhhh! Please please TAN, get rid of those ADs! I"m using Win7 X64, Firefox 26 this is at about 1AM Saturday morning.

Hey Pbisson,

Can you confirm which ads are playing audio?

-Is it the banner ad?
-Is it the medium rectangle ad on the right of the page?
-Or is it the ad in the footer?

Also can you let us know what the company is of the ad that plays automatically?

Thanks,
-Mo-

OP Technical Issue Report
We need to know some specific information in order to troubleshoot your issue:

While watching a show, all of a sudden I get a rotating X and then the show stops. After several seconds, up to a minute, the show will start running again. Also, the audio will sometimes continue while the video stops.

This problem started almost immediately after I upgraded my membership to allow me to watch shows without commercial interruption.

So far, this problem has been occurring in every show I have attempted to watch.

It happens in every episode that I have attempted to watch.

I only watch the dubbed versions of shows. However, before I upgraded and was able to watch shows dubbed, I didn’t have the problem with the subtitled shows. I don’t know if this is the problem, though.

I’m not certain as to which format is affected. I can only assume that it is both.

I am using Linus OS. It is the newest version available.

I am using Firefox. I’m not certain which version it is.

I only use the one browser.

I accept all updates to my OS and Browser. These updates will include any necessary upgrades to my Flash Player.

If you are having trouble with smooth video playback, tell us about your internet connection:

• What type of connection are you using? (Cable, DSL, WiFI, ect)

I am using AT&T U-verse internet connection. My laptop has a wireless card installed.

After running a speed test using the suggested website, I got the following information: PING, 51 ms; DOWNLOAD SPEED, 14.71 Mbps; UPLOAD SPEED, 1.44 Mbps.

I hope that you can help me with my problem. I hate to think I will have to cancel my upgrade because I can’t watch shows because of this problem. I did receive a link to download something almost immediately after upgrading my membership. I believe it was VideoPerformerSetup.exe. Could it be possible that this is causing my problem?

I think I’ve encountered a problem:

In the postlude in Maria Holic ep 6 (dubbed) the video ended abruptly, cutting the speaking voice actress off mid-sentence, and there were no credits.

The dubbed version has the end titles running from 24:45 to 26:30; it is complete.
The subtitled version cuts out at 24:44, after “Oh, this cake is delicious” and “Thud”.

-Joe

[quote=“SpaceCobraJoe” post=159665]

The dubbed version has the end titles running from 24:45 to 26:30; it is complete.
The subtitled version cuts out at 24:44, after “Oh, this cake is delicious” and “Thud”.

-Joe[/quote]

I went back and it does now. Previously the bar showed that the episode had completed during the middle of the word “misunderstanding”, cutting off half of that word, “chop” and the credits. It was strange.

[quote=“Asrialys” post=158484]
So this is happening to me on Crunchyroll as well. I normally watch Crunchyroll on my PS3, so I never noticed. However, now that I think about it, the video did occasionally stop on Crunchyroll, but not this often. I wonder if the issue may actually be my network. I still have the same old DSL, but I recently had to replace my modem router with a new modem and router. Well, I’ll see what happens when I get faster U-verse later this month…[/quote]

I was having the same problem with both Crunchyroll and ANO towards the end of last year. Now, for the time being at least, the problem has gone away for ANO but remains with Crunchyroll.

After experimenting with “Elite” subscriptions (both trial and paid versions, depending on what worked and what didn’t), I’ve determined that three of the online networks provide consistent quality streaming content:

Anime Network Online (fixed whatever problem they were having at close of 2013)

Hulu (with Ads, even for elite subscribers)

FUNimation

Meanwhile, Crunchyroll still behaves the way you’ve described. Note that a lot of anime content on Crunchyroll can also be found on Hulu. Thus between the three networks that work, the coverage is pretty good.

If you round up, the total cost for “Elite” subscriptions to all three is about $25.00, or a 30-pack of Coors Light when it’s not on sale.

My equipment:

(For watching strteaming content, that is. The other stuff is useless)

Cable Modem: Xfinity Arris Model 5 (ethernet wire connected to router)
Router: Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G (but I use the ethernet WIRED connections for streaming content)
PC: Dell XPS 8500 Intel Core i7
Ethernet: Realtek PCIe GBE (wired)
Video Card: nVidia GEForce GTX645 (includes DVI-D and HDMI outputs)
Video Interface (2): DVI-D to Dell S2209W Monitor (monitor doesn’t have HDMI connector)
Browser: Firefox 26.0 x32

Your results may vary. Come to think of it, my results probably will too - but this combo of networks and HW/SW works great for now.

Happy Anime Watching,

Hey Joe,

You are right in that the subtitled episodes end after the extra scenes.
This is because the files we have for the subtitled version of Maria Holic do not have ending credits. The dub files however do have end credits.

Thanks,

-Mo-

TAN is working, but Comcast has been flaking out on me for the last few days.

That was Sunday night, around 11pm. Previous three attempts all timed out trying to connect to the download server.

-Joe

[quote=“SpaceCobraJoe” post=159822]TAN is working, but Comcast has been flaking out on me for the last few days.
(Speedtest Snip)
That was Sunday night, around 11pm. Previous three attempts all timed out trying to connect to the download server.
-Joe[/quote]

So that would be around 2am EST. I do remember a slowdown last evening but that would have been hours before your were affected. Besides, I was doing non-streaming things and didn’t pay much attention to it. It lasted on-and-off for about half an hour. Could have been local at my end, but who knows?

Unfortunately I didn’t log it with SpeedTest. If it happens again (especially if I’m trying to stream something), I’ll run SpeedTest and post it here.

Have you tried resetting the Comcast modem when this sort of thing happens? Sometimes that works for me. I keep an unwound paper clip on top of the router just in case.

I also wanted to update my comments about TAN, FUNimation, and Hulu. If you have “Elite” subscriptions for all three, it’s best to see if a title on Hulu is also playing on TAN or FUNimation. If it is, try watching the title on the latter networks first.

In the case of FUNimation especially, there are no ads (at least I haven’t seen any) and HD really looks like HD. On Hulu, the corresponding setting is “High Quality”. All other things being equal, HD on FUNimation looks a lot better to me than “High Quality” on Hulu. I haven’t taken the time to ask Hulu about this or to see if maybe there are tiered subscriptions based on quality.

Also, I have yet to experiment with Sentai or other distributers in a TAN vs. Hulu contest, but as of now I’ll certainly do that with any non-FUNimation titles I want to watch. Who knows, I may wind up dropping Hulu and sticking with just TAN and FUNimation for streaming content.

Regardless of the immediate outcome, I’ll continue monitoring CrunchyRoll and Hulu via trial subscriptions to see if they can straighten out their respective acts.

Happy Anime watching,