Anime Network Online Player Reports/Problems/Updates Thread

[quote=“AlanMintaka” post=159830]

[quote=“SpaceCobraJoe” post=159822]TAN is working, but Comcast has been flaking out on me for the last few days.
(Speedtest Snip)
That was Sunday night, around 11pm. Previous three attempts all timed out trying to connect to the download server.
-Joe[/quote]

So that would be around 8pm EST. [/quote]

Let me just say that if it’s 11pm where Joe is on the West Coast, then it would be 2am on the East Coast, not 8pm. You’re counting the wrong way.

[quote=“Slowhand” post=159842]
Let me just say that if it’s 11pm where Joe is on the West Coast, then it would be 2am on the East Coast, not 8pm. You’re counting the wrong way.[/quote]

GAAAAHHHH! I can’t believe I did that. I’ve edited the message to correct the gaffe (and save myself from the Monsters from the ID) and fix the context.

I did actually notice a slowdown during my own “prime time” around 8:00pm EST. After posting my forum message last night I checked out my Comcast account to verify the download speed they claimed to provide. Turns out they’ve been overcharging me the old “Comcast Ultra” plan rates for the currently named “Xfinity Blast” plan - 50Mbps - for a long time. I got a huge credit to switch to “Blast”.

It’s money in the bank but no changes technically, at least not according to the rep. That means I’ll still be seeing those momentary slowdowns. Speedtest results will follow.

Now, let me see if I can go do something stupid in a much less public manner.

Happy viewing,

Yep, the first thing I tried.
Back to normal operation later that day.
-Joe

I should have known better than to ask. I’m the amateur in this context, no doubt about it.

FWIW, I use a program called Visual Traceroute whenever Comcast performance crop up. It’s helpful in seeing how differences in internet server connections can play into those performance issues.

Most of my internet traffic is routed to and from NH through servers in DC. After that, I’ve identified various alernate routes as being sources of decreased performance. Obviously your server routing to and from the West Coast is going to be different, but maybe this program can shed some light on the situation.

What’s nice about it is that the graphical interface includes a map with clickable server icons, and another window that combines the usual text-driven tracert information with clickable links to servers, IP addresses, etc.

It’s a money program, unfortunately. I bought into it years ago so I’ve been paying nominal upgrade prices to keep it running through Windows 7 Home Premium, and to keep the browser plugins up to date. It can be run standalone, but the browser plugins make it more convenient to capture visual trace route information in real time.

Here’s a link to product info, pricing, etc. It really is a spiffy program, at least for someone like me. If you have similar tools, I’d sure like to know about them.

Disclaimer - as if they’d ever hire me. It’s just a program I use to try to diagnose problems with streaming content provided by TAN, FUNimation, Hulu, Crunchyroll, Netflix, etc.

Happy Anime Viewing,

I found something interesting on another streaming site:
[size=4]-> Switch to HTML5 Player (for mobile devices)[/size]

Could we get that added to the Online Player, please?
It would allow us Android users to beta-test viewing ANO using just the native software (no app required).

-Joe

Log Horizon episode 4 has a sub problem where often they are garbage text. I checked same episode over on Crunchyroll and it was fine there although maybe a different sub. First 3 episode and 5 are fine.

Title: Polyphonica Crimson S
Video Format: high quality only
Episode Numbers: at least episode 1 (I haven’t looked at the others yet)

The audio lags FAR behind the video in the high quality version – it even seemed like the lag gradually increased as time went on, though I’m not entirely sure of this. For example, watch from 20:20 to 20:25 – it seems like it takes almost a whole second from when you see Corticarte start speaking until you hear it. I spot-checked this in the low-quality version of the episode and it doesn’t seem to have the same problem.

Comcast rumored to be throttling video packets from video servers using the Amazon Web Service (Netflix and TAN).

http://gigaom.com/2014/02/06/theres-something-rotten-in-the-state-of-online-video-streaming-and-the-data-is-starting-to-emerge/ There’s something rotten in the state of online video streaming, and the data is starting to emerge.

Broadband performance using M-Lab data - Google Public Data Explorer.

-Joe

not just them but other people are throttling AWS servers

http://stopthecap.com/2014/02/05/is-verizon-purposely-slowing-down-netflix-for-fios-customers-stop-the-cap-investigates/

either the throttling is real, or just too much traffic trying to be tunneled to AWS and amazon cannot handle it. so it looks like the clouds are about to offer up some stormy weather.

the TV providers are waging war on online streaming after regulations of Net Neutrality were defeated and the FCC not given the ability to govern the internet.

http://stopthecap.com/2014/01/14/u-s-court-of-appeals-shoots-down-net-neutrality-verizon-wins-case-on-technical-grounds/

From the New World is listed on the shows page as being streamable with the dub (all 3 circles are colored) yet the dub won’t be out for 20 days.

I think when they load the thumbnails and other info, those ‘circles’ automatically fill in.

I’ll check to make sure.

Hey Celestial,

You are correct that the Dub version will become available for premium subscribers on 3/24/2014 and the little circles next to sub and dub are all colored. If you look at the bottom of the page there is a key that shows that the colored circle next to dubbed is a purple color that indicates “coming soon”. One the start date is reached the color will change to reflect it’s availability and subscription level.
Thank you for pointing that out though :)!

-Mo-

[quote=“moisme” post=162905]

is listed on the shows page as being streamable with the dub (all 3 circles are colored) yet the dub won’t be out for 20 days.

Hey Celestial,

You are correct that the Dub version will become available for premium subscribers on 3/24/2014 and the little circles next to sub and dub are all colored. If you look at the bottom of the page there is a key that shows that the colored circle next to dubbed is a purple color that indicates “coming soon”. One the start date is reached the color will change to reflect it’s availability and subscription level.
Thank you for pointing that out though :)!

-Mo- [/quote]

I believe he was talking about The Shows page ( Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network ), which in that case, a Purple dot indicates a Sub and a Yellow dot indicates a Dub.

On that page, there is nothing to indicate “Coming Soon”
To find that out, you have to actually go to the Watch page ( Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network ) and there is where “Coming Soon” is indicated but a Purple dot as well as an alt hover over date/time.

On The Shows page there is no distinction between “already streaming” and “coming soon” and I believe it’s as Slow said, they get filled in automatically when you guys add the “coming soon” option on the Watch page.

It’s not really a big thing, but it does tend to cause confusion from time to time for people that don’t pay too close attention to these little details.

You are correct coffee.

-Mo-

Are the eyes of this dub fan just seeing yellow circles out of wishful thinking or is there really one next to Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions! -Heart Throb ??

[quote=“celestial_being” post=162944]Are the eyes of this dub fan just seeing yellow circles out of wishful thinking or is there really one next to Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions! -Heart Throb ??
[/quote]

Hey Celestial,

Sorry for the mix-up, Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions! -Heart Throb is not dubbed. What happened is that the promo that is available on the online player is in English and so the online player put that the whole show was dubbed by default which is wrong.

-Mo-

Maria Holic Alive Ep 1 is cut off too soon on the dub. The dub has a ending theme, but the sub doesn’t.

I’m guessing your copy of the sub was a TV version, and the dub is a DVD version, hence the huge difference in time.

[quote=“miquelfire” post=163035]Maria Holic Alive Ep 1 is cut off too soon on the dub. The dub has a ending theme, but the sub doesn’t.

I’m guessing your copy of the sub was a TV version, and the dub is a DVD version, hence the huge difference in time.[/quote]

Wait, the DUB has an ending them, but the SUB doesn’t.
But the DUB cuts off too soon?

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. Where exactly does the dub cut off? During the theme song? or somewhere else?

I’ve not watched this…

[quote=“miquelfire” post=163035]Maria Holic Alive Ep 1 is cut off too soon on the dub. The dub has a ending theme, but the sub doesn’t.

I’m guessing your copy of the sub was a TV version, and the dub is a DVD version, hence the huge difference in time.[/quote]

Hey Miquel we implemented a fix, please confirm if everything is playing completely through the credits.

Thank you,
-Mo-

It’s fixed now.

@Slowhand: It was cutting off at during the theme. Which if it wasn’t fixed, I would assume I was missing just the bonus segment and the Sentai credit roll. (Turns out, the dub has a Matsurika’s Journal as well, which is not in the sub… Kinda helps to prove the sub hosted here has to be a TV version with some things cut off for time)