AN Forums

Anime Network VOD Reports/Updates/Questions Thread (2009 Archive)

ScarredRemain wrote:

Anime Network reads emails but normally don’t always respond since they get a substantial amount of email. Technical support is handled through this forum. You may want to read the first post of this thread, and the sticky threads.

A summary of the AT&T situation is at : http://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,65/catid,5/func,view/id,292/limit,10/limitstart,10/

AT&T Operation Center is aware of the on-going recent localized problems happening in some areas like the Dallas Fort Worth area. They are not experiencing these issues at their central location though so it’s likely a problem specific to your region, either local problem with full disc drives or a distribution problem. All I know at the moment is they are aware of the problem and working on correcting it (how long that will take, they have not said).
List your Zipcode and missing episodes and I’ll include your problem in the weekly reports I send in to Anime Network which they will then send to AT&T’s Operation Center.**

You may also want to consider reading the last few pages and look for shadycat’s and my posts for further details on the issues.

First, Thank you for a response. I’m glad to have a solid answer of one kind or another. So, my zip code is 75206 and my issue is the same as the nice person collecting info from Fort Worth, so I’ll just repost their last info below. While I’m here, how about a request for some new content:)> There don’t seem to be any new series making their way online and what’s on now hasn’t been as interesting to me as some of the items posted in the past. Again, thank you. My whine will now be delimited to a dull roar, but a consistent issue will of course be a major subscription turn off regardless of who is in error. Maybe it’s time to get my PC hooked to the TV and become an online premium subscriber. Thanx also to nice FT Worth person.

SVOD Received:
Alice Academy - 16
Aria the Natural - 10
Clannad After Story - 10
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue - 21
Dokkoida - 2
Ghost Hound - 9
He is My Master - 10
Little Snow Fairy Sugar - 8
Maria Watches Over Us - 5
Revolutionary Girl Utena - 21
Soul Hunter - 26
Super Gals - 34
World of Narue - 7
You’re Under Arrest - 14
Free VOD Received:
Dokkoida - 2

Missing SVOD episodes:
Alice Academy - 15
Aria the Natural - 9
He is My Master - 9
Popotan - 1 <this is available on Free VOD, SVOD only has ep. 2>
World of Narue - 4, 5, 6 <disappeared 12/22>
You’re Under Arrest - 11, 12, 13 <disappeared 12/22>
Missing Free VOD episodes:
Yumeria - 3 <disappeared 12/22>

These episodes were received again today:
He is My Master - 8 <received 12/10, gone 12/14, received 12/23 10pm, gone 12/23 11pm, received 12/26>
Little Snow Fairy Sugar - 6 <received 12/14, gone 12/15, received 12/23 9pm, gone 12/23 11pm, received 12/26>
Soul Hunter - 24 <received 12/14, gone 12/15, received 12/23 9pm, gone 12/23 11 pm, received 12/26>
Super Gals - 32 <received 12/14, gone 12/15, received 12/20, gone 12/21, received 12/26>

ScarredRemain wrote:

The choice is yours. The pros of being on AT&T are their high speed infrastructure and network. Streaming Anime on the other hand has a lot of different variables that can affect the quality of the stream that are out of Anime Network’s control. Reliability of VOD in that sense is usually higher (though I myself have very little problems with the streaming).

On the plus side, for Anime Network Online all the episodes and content management is handled by Anime Network directly itself, unlike for VOD which Anime Network has little to do with other than send their main operations centers the episodes - it’s up to the carrier and the VOD companies to distribute it to various regions. Episodes don’t have monthly expiration on the Online Player either, they are left there for many months at a time so you have access to watching batches of episodes or whole series at a time.

So if there’s a problem with an ep. in the Online Player, Anime Network has direct access to fixing it.

As for the new shows thing, they’ve just moved a bunch of shows from next year to end of this year like Dokkoida to make room for more new shows next year.

Next year:

(Confirmed)
Destiny of the Shrine Maiden
To Love Ru
Tears to Tiara
You’re Under Arrest Season 2

(Unconfirmed, but likely)
Hidamari Sketch
Glass Mask
Special A
Neo Angelique Abyss Season 1 and 2
You’re Under Arrest Season 3
Maria Holic
Skull Man
Yozakura Quartet
Tayutama: Kiss On My Deity

More Section23 Films and Sentai Filmworks announcements should be coming in the next few months.

**Shaw Cable
Vancouver BC, V3V 2P4

December 24th Update

Received:**
Alice Academy: 16
Aria the Natural: 10
Clannad After Story: 10
Daphne In The Brilliant Blue: 21
Dokkoida?!: 2
Ghost Hound: 9
He Is My Master: 10
Little Snow Fairy Sugar: 8
Maria Watches Over Us Printemps: 6
Revolutionary Girl Utena: 21
Soul Hunter: 26
Supergals: 34
World of Narue: 7
You’re Under Arrest TV: 14

TWC NORTHEAST OHIO, 44905 I HAVE TO SAY IM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN TWC. FOR THE 12-17 UPDATE THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AND FOR THE 12-24 UPDATE ALL I RECEIVED WAS UTENA 21 AND PRINNTEMPSUB 06. NOTHING ELSE WHETHER SCHEDULED OR UNSCHEDULE. PLEASE HELP AN YOU’RE MY ONLY HOPE.

Time Warner Cable Northeast Ohio, 44851

I can confirm with benjy1313 above me that we aren’t getting jack for the last 2 weeks now, aside from the 2 episodes he mentioned. This is the 2nd time I’ve filed a report here in as many weeks. Calling Time Warner isn’t helping. They usually say it’s a problem on your end. One guy didn’t even know there was an Anime Network,.

I’m getting the feeling that reporting problems here is a waste of time as well. Nothing’s being fixed, and we seem to be ignored. Sorry if I sound bitter, but we’re getting screwed here in Ohio and nobody at Time Warner, Anime Network, or whoever the mysterious go-between is, seems to care.

ScarredRemain wrote:

You’re welcome. I’m relieved to know that someone else in the DFW area is having the same problem that I am. This lets me know that the problem is more widespread than U-Verse had led me to believe. I know it is a total pain, but please try to call them and get them to send a report to their network team. I have been told that if more people called to complain, the issue would get more attention. Ask to talk to someone in Tier 2 support. I seem to get more knowledgeable agents calling during the day, rather than after 5 or on the weekends. I’ve been calling them for 3 months and I think hearing that other people are experiencing the same problem might help them figure out what’s wrong. You can ask the Tier 2 agents for a call back number that will get through to them directly and save you the hassle of the automated system. Be sure to ask them for the 4 digit code, they change it every week, so I usually ask them for next week’s code, so I can call back to let them know that the problem is still not fixed.

dragoon wrote:

[quote]ScarredRemain wrote:

As for the new shows thing, they’ve just moved a bunch of shows from next year to end of this year like Dokkoida to make room for more new shows next year.

Next year:

(Unconfirmed, but likely)
Hidamari Sketch
Glass Mask
Special A
Neo Angelique Abyss Season 1 and 2
You’re Under Arrest Season 3
Maria Holic
Skull Man
Yozakura Quartet
Tayutama: Kiss On My Deity

More Section23 Films and Sentai Filmworks announcements should be coming in the next few months.[/quote]

I like the sounds of all this! :slight_smile:

[size=4]Reports of the last few days have been compiled and sent to Anime Network.[/size]

Kyoujin wrote:

[quote]Time Warner Cable Northeast Ohio, 44851
Nothing’s being fixed, and we seem to be ignored. Sorry if I sound bitter, but we’re getting screwed here in Ohio and nobody at Time Warner, Anime Network, or whoever the mysterious go-between is, seems to care.[/quote]

VOD isn’t like watching something online where things can be fixed immediately. It takes days just for Anime Network to email TWC Operations, have them read it, more days later for them to have to investigate the region of the report, get back to Anime Network, etc. Especially when in Holiday mode. I don’t know what TWC Operation’s schedule is during the holidays if they are even there to respond to reports Anime Network has sent them.

Unfortunately there’s no magic wand solution - especially with very large cable companies. Time Warner is a very large company with a huge number of regional locations. Larger cable companies tend to have that problem with VOD, regardless which content they get content from. It’s the nature of the game, sadly.

Your reports are being heard loud and clear here. I’ve sent Anime Network 2 reports about this issue in only the last few days. But your report comes also during the Holidays. Most Anime companies are off until January, Anime Network is going to be available some days last week and this week but things are limited until next year.

Anime Network sent Time Warner and their contracting VOD company (the one that handles the storage, distribution, within the TWC network) the episodes, as evidenced by several TWC regions and viewers here reporting in this forum as getting the episodes. Sadly all Anime Network can do is report what you’re reporting here and they let TWC’s Central operations know about it. What happens beyond that is up to TWC. Especially with large cable companies, regions can fall through the cracks, especially if it’s not one of the more important areas for your cable company in terms of the resources or manpower they put into it.

It can be a laborious processes and many of us have gone through with VOD in general, especially smaller content providers who don’t have as much power to influence the carriers like say CBS or something. This is just the way VOD is in terms of how cable companies operate and run it. Your best bet is to keep emailing and calling TWC and ask to speak to the supervisor or manager, perhaps they can help you better. Anime Network I’m sure will be doing what it can on this end, but also help from your end is necessary. As a customer of TWC, you have more power to put pressure on them than Anime Network does.

If you want more information, check out shadycat and Coffee God’s posts here on how they are dealing with their carriers in terms of getting results. Persistence can pay off.

Thank you for your response, and I appreciate your candor. It’s very frustrating though dealing with Time Warner NEO reps. A phone call will go one of 3 ways: you’ll get a clueless bum, an insulting jerk, or a canned response. It’s been that way for years here. I love Anime Network but it’s a damn shame my cable company cares so little about it, or about it’s paying customers.

dragoon wrote:

Persistence definitely does pay off in most cases.
As for me, it took a lot of jumping through hops for several months to get the proper contact information I needed, but I winded up with the phone number of the supervisor of the local tech supervisors, who contacts the local head end directly. Which is the closest thing to being able to contact the local head end directly from me. After a few times of calling him directly with issues, he winded up giving me his email address, so he could just forward it to the head end, rather than trying to write it down while we’re on the phone, so less mistakes can happen.

Speaking of which, I just had an exchange with him via email, after he got a reponse from the head end.

[quote]I did get your e-mail and forwarded it our NOC. Here is their reply:

The Glendale Site/MPK Reg Std is WAY behind. There are close to 700 titles in staging between both MPK sites. As that Anima is a FREE title, it won’t be bumped up in ingest order, so unfortunately the customer will have wait/miss it.

If this isn’t correct, let me know. But this is the answer I got from our NOC.
Sorry[/quote]

To which I corrected them on the Free part…

[quote]Thanks for the response! I do understand being busy this time ofyear, so no need to appologize. These things happen from time to timewith the complexity that is VOD.

I did want to correct something they said though, Anime Network VOD (atleast for Charter) is a Premium VOD channel, and as such, I do pay for having it, so it’s not FREE title, like the issues I had with IFC Free, which was a Free VOD section.[/quote]

And his response…

So we’ll see how it goes.

With the response they gave him, I wonder if they are getting tired of hearing from him about Anime issues from me.

Kyoujin wrote:

I think anyone here can sympathize with you. With VOD unfortunately it’s not a matter of if, but when. VOD has grown too fast and too complex in the last few years, especially with the large cable providers who have to service millions across the US, and have multiple regional centers. That makes it a lot harder to fix things. If they were able to have a centralized center that houses transmits all these episodes that would help a lot. But given all the millions these large cable companies have to transmit to, it’s likely not feasible to have a single center.

Anime Network offers free alternatives on this website and on http://www.youtube.com/animenetwork

This website also offers premium and membership content which has a lot more anime and newer shows as well. These are some alternatives Anime Network is offering if you’re not happy with your cable options in the area or can’t switch providers.

dragoon wrote:

[quote]Kyoujin wrote:

I think anyone here can sympathize with you. With VOD unfortunately it’s not a matter of if, but when. VOD has grown too fast and too complex in the last few years, especially with the large cable providers who have to service millions across the US, and have multiple regional centers. That makes it a lot harder to fix things. If they were able to have a centralized center that houses transmits all these episodes that would help a lot. But given all the millions these large cable companies have to transmit to, it’s likely not feasible to have a single center.

Anime Network offers free alternatives on this website and on http://www.youtube.com/animenetwork

This website also offers premium and membership content which has a lot more anime and newer shows as well. These are some alternatives Anime Network is offering if you’re not happy with your cable options in the area or can’t switch providers.[/quote]

I have to second Dragoon’s recommendation of the Online Player. I tried it during the free Christmas promotion and I have to say that it is well worth the money-especially at 25% off! In fact, I just subscribed myself, and the receipt is printing out as I write this!

Oh, and if you’re getting tired of Time Warner, give DirecTV a try… :wink:

TWC Round Rock, TX 78681

Schedule for December 24, 2009:
Alice Academy 16 - "Battle in the Maze! The Magic Lamp!"
Clannad After Story 10 - "A Season of Beginnings!"
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue 21 - "What Happened To Maia?"
Dokkoida?! 2 - "Purple Hair, How Hip Can Ya Get?"
Ghost Hound 9 - "Existential Ghosts!"
He Is My Master 10 - "He Is My Prince!?"
Revolutionary Girl Utena 21 - "Troublesome Insects!"
Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy 8 - "The Shape of the Dreams!"
Soul Hunter 26 - “Taikun Shows The Road To Justice!” <FINAL EPISODE>
World of Narue 7 - “Pool? Triple Danger!”
<>

Received, but not on Schedule:
Aria The Natural 10 - "That Warm Town And The People And…"
DN Angel 21 - "The Frozen Call!"
Maria Watches Over Us - Printemps 6 - "Joined by a Single Hand!"
You’re Under Arrest TV Season 1 14 - “File 14: Manjou Are Scary!”

Kyoujin wrote:

I can sympathize with your frustration. I’ve been calling AT&T for 3 months. My advice is do not talk to the first person who answers the phone. These people (AT&T calls them Tier 1 Support) seem to be less able to fix a complex problem like VOD. They just keep asking me to reset my boxes, which is worth a try, but if it didn’t work the first 20 times then most reasonable people would conclude that is not the problem. Even talking to Tier 2 support with AT&T can sometimes get people like you describe. Ask for a supervisor or someone higher up. I’ve been told outrageous things by agents like go to hulu to watch my shows, or they act like I’m too stupid to figure out how to work the VOD. I was even told, by a supervisor, that they considered my problems to be “a waste of resources” and they would do nothing about it. Needless to say, I was fuming after that! The only thing I know for sure is that the problem will not get fixed if customers don’t complain. The more people who call, the more likely they are to take action. Don’t be passive and think that someone else will call to complain. So, keep calling until you find someone who will listen to you. Good agents are out there. To paraphrase El Hazard (I think), it’s like a jewel in a dung hill. Good luck!

[size=4]Anime Network Holiday Update Notice[/size]

Just to update you guys, most of the people who deal with the VOD issues are indeed mostly on holiday break for Christmas and New Year’s. I’ll follow up with them with a report about the existing issues from the week or two prior to Christmas, through the holidays, as soon as they are back in full gear next week.

Received Maria Watches Over Us ~Printemps~ ep. 06 this morning, so all is good again from last week.

Charter Glendale, CA 91205

[size=4]Update Received At 5pm[/size]

Looks like I didn’t get Ultimate Crop Circles, which was scheduled to show up this week.
But as I got everything else, maybe it is just a schedule error, though we’ll find out as others post if they did/did not get it.

[size=4]Received (December 31)[/size]

• Popotan Ep. 03
• World of Narue Ep. 08
• Little Snow Fairy Sugar Ep. 09
• Ghost Hound (Subbed) Ep. 10
• Aria The Natural (Subbed) Ep. 11
• Clannad After Story (Subbed) Ep. 11
• Maria Watches Over Us ~Printemps~ (Subbed) Ep. 07
• You’re Under Arrest TV Ep. 15
• Alice Academy (Subbed) Ep. 17
• Revolutionary Girl Utena Ep. 22
• SuperGALS! (Subbed) Ep. 35
• Daphne in the Brilliant Blue Ep. 22
• He Is My Master (Subbed) EP. 11

[size=4]Did Not Receive (December 31)[/size]

• Ultimate Crop Circles Movie ___(New)

Cablevision in Wall Township, New Jersey 07719.

Well another week and some good this week. The only thing missing is Ultimate Crop Circles which makes me think that is actually a scheduling error since Coffee God didn’t get it either. I will totally wait to past judgment to every others post about new update also. One other thing Black Lion showed up unscheduled that could be a replacement. Well everyone please have a safe and Happy New Year. :slight_smile:

Got this week:
Black Lion
Ghost Hound 10
Orphen 23 and 24
Raxephon 09 and 10
Tsukihime 09 and 10
Revolutionary Girl Utena 22
You’re Under Arrest 15
Clannad After Story 11
Alice Academy 17
Daphne In Brilliant Blue 22
Popotan 03
Maria Watches Over Us: Printemps 07
Super Gals 35
World Of Narue 08
Aria The Natural 11
He Is My Master 11
Little Snow Fairy Sugar 09

Missing:
Ultimate Crop Circles?

The Anime Network 12/31 additions, available until 01/27 on DirecTV channel 1889
San Francisco Bay Area, 94536

Alice Academy (17) Hotaru’s Secret *

• Aria the Natural (sub) (11) That Important Radiance…
    Clannad After Story (sub) (11) The Promised Founder’s Festival
    Daphne in the Brilliant Blue (22) Everyday Life of an Eye and Recollection
    Ghost Hound (sub) (10) Affordance/T.F.T. -Thought Field Therapy-
    He Is My Master (sub) (11) The Far-Away Boyfriend Yoshitaka
    Little Snow Fairy Sugar (09) The Bear Pianist
  • Maria Watches Over Us Printemps (07) Cherry Blossom
    Popotan (03) Magic
    Revolutionary Girl Utena (22) Namuro Memorial Hall
    Ultimate Crop Circles (00) (feature) 111 minutes
    World of Narue (08) A Message From Earth
  • You’re Under Arrest TV (15) File 15: Chie’s Rematch Challenge

Notes:
*) Six missing episodes available on-line free to registered users.
. . . Cosmo Warrior Zero . (11) Great Technologia
. . . Cosmo Warrior Zero . (12) Endless Battle
. . . Gun Frontier . . . . . . . (11) Secret Weapon Factory in Jamacity
. . . Kiba . . . . . . . . . . . . . (40) Sought After Power
. . . Princess Resurrection (21) Princess Banishment
. . . Princess Resurrection (22) Princess Slaughter
*) Four shows not on the http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Video-On-Demand-Schedule/DirecTV: Aria S2, DN Angel, Maria S2, YUA.

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/listing/dodMovies.jsp?category=Interests&subcategory=Animation[code]
1w | Alice Academy (sub) - - - - - 14, 15, 16, 17+
1w | Aria the Natural (sub) 03®, 08, 09, 10, 11+ “unscheduled”
** | Aria TV (sub) - - - - - - - - (not 13) missing "season finale"
1w | Clannad After Story (sub) - - 08, 09, 10, 11+
<> | Cosmo Warrior Zero - - - - - 11, 12 . "Online Player"
1w | Daphne in the Brilliant Blue 19, 20, 21, 22+
2w | DN Angel - - - - - - - - - - 20, 21+ . "unscheduled"
2w | Dokkoida?! - - - - - - - - - 01, 02
2W | Get Backers - - - - - - - - - 32
1w | Ghost Hound (sub) - - - - - - 07, 08, 09, 10+
<> | Gun Frontier - - - - - - - - 11 . "Online Player"
1w | He Is My Master (sub) - - - - 08, 09, 10, 11+