Anyone else watching WWII in HD?

History Channel has had this on, 10 hours of documentary based around a lot of never before seen color movie film taken in combat in WWII. Some of the narration is by the actual soldiers who were there.

I was sick the one night, but the two nights I’ve seen I sat there with my jaw hanging… it’s hard to watch but yet I can’t not watch, I feel like I have to see this. And some of the footage is quite graphic, when you see guys blown apart or that have been lying dead on a beach for three days turned black and swelled up… I dunno if it’s just the old film or what but it seems way more real than anything on CSI or NCIS or whatever. It just brings it all home, this is what war is.

My grandfather’s two bothers both faught in WWII, one got a purple heart, too, but they never talked about it; in fact the one brother is kind of estranged from the family and the other passed on quite a few years ago.

Of course in those bad old days Japan was the enemy, and they did just as many horrible things as Hitler’s Nazis. And America was racist as ever, segregating an all black unit who flew fighters and having an all-Japanese-American unit in the European theatre - the in action footage of these guys is the only black and white film in the whole documentary.

I kind of think every high school kid should have to watch this just to know what it’s all about - and so should everyone in Federal office. Maybe they’d be less inclined to dither around in the middle east and just blow Al-Queda off the map and bring the boys home.

Nope, and now that you’ve informed me about it I’m pissed cuz I don’t think I get history channel here at college, and certainly not in HD or nothing. Guess I have to stick to my Vietnam War documentary.

I was thinking about watching it, then I’m like, “Nah I’m good.” Besides I already knew what happened in WWII since my grandfather was in the navy in WWII.

rebecca1/2 wrote:

Well Obama said there was only 100 members of Al-Queda left in Afghanistan, so I say screw it let’s leave now. I’m pretty sure that counts as being blown off the map. But America can never seem to get out of any war it gets sucked into…

Anyway this looked pretty interesting, but I haven’t gotten around to watching it (yet?). Also it seemed kinda depressing and disturbing. WWII was a very an interesting war, so I’d probally enjoy these.

Of course at least back then we found out we could bomb the s— out of an island for days and there’d still be snipers, mortars and artillery hidden in caves and tunnels and crap. Al-queda doesn’t have squat for original ideas, everything they’ve done the Japanese already did 65 years ago. Something like 400 fighter plane kamakazis went after the ships who’d brought the invasion force into Okinawa. Over several days. Sunk a few of the ships that way too.

I think tonight’s last two were the hardest to watch… the innocent people who accidentally got shot, liberating concentration camps, dropping the bomb, and at the end of it when the one nurse tells how she finally felt like she was home again, made me want to cry too.

Makes me curious to learn more about the history of Japan though and why they were on the side of the Axis in that war.

I’d say it’s probably a good one to plan to watch alone… horror movies and like I said before even CSI is just as gory if not worse… but it’s not real either. If nothing else it will give you a whole new appreciation for what those people went through, I understand now why no one talked much about it for so long.

I’m pretty sure it was because Japan had already invaded China, and because of that the US was limiting the importing of oil into Japan. Because of that, the Japanese knew they either had to get out of China or fight the US. Being the proud people they are, they didn’t want to back out, so they took the US head on. If they had not been in China, I don’t think they would have gone to war.

I agree, rebecca, it’s been very hard to watch. Knowing that all the people are real and not actors just sends it home a little more. I found myself with tears in my eyes quite a few times.

My dad was in Germany during WWII and I never, ever heard him speak of it, except to mention a couple of buddies. Looking back, I wish I’d been able to have a couple of talks with him about it, but he passed away before I was mature enough to understand things like PTSD and all the other horrors of war.

The color film in this series certainly brings out a more human side to history; since it always seemed to me that everything that happened before I was born was in black & white.

And, listening to the real soldiers talk about what happened, especially on Okinawa, just tugs at my soul. To hear that one gentleman saying “What did we do?” over and over was just heartbreaking, you know that those soldiers relived that night in their dreams for a long while.

ZakuAce wrote:

It was more then just pride. To them going into China was the rational thing to do, and backing out would make no sense, and actually expose themselves to dangers. Europe and the US had been exploiting that country for years now. Japan realized it was in quite a predicament being on a little island. It didn’t have much resources or farmland or anything really. They felt that if they didn’t expand as a country they too would eventually be used somehow by Europe, sort of like how the rest of the world was. To expand as a country it needed a place like China.

Japan aimed to make themselves like the British Empire, based on remote island, yet it’s reach would strech all over the planet. It would use China for all it’s raw material and resources, like Britian had been doing to many of it’s colonies all over the world for years. It also didn’t help that the Japanese viewed China as a bunch of cowards, as they felt China was almost letting themselves being exploited by the west. Plus since Japan is reletively seperated from the rest of Asia, they thought they would be pretty safe, like how England had been left out of many of the wars in Europe over the years. Also China could serve as a buffer between Japan and Russia, further protecting Japan. Leaving China did not even seem like an option at the time. They would need land in China if they were to create a fully funtioning Empire. And when things weren’t going too well in China they did some terrible things, like useing chemical and biological weapons, raping their women, and killing civilains.

I had a chance to see one episode of the series. It was fantastic. I love WWII history, and have studied it pretty extensively. I will definitely watch the complete series sometime this week.
My grandfather, my hero, was in the South Pacific during the war. He was burned with a flame thrower while in battle on a small island I believe near the Philippines. I’m not sure, because he never talked about it. I told him I would like to hear his story a few times if he was ever ready to talk about it, but I think it was a code for those old timers. They did what they had to do, they loved their country, and they did the right thing, but what they did was tramatic and layed heavily on their minds.
As for the reasons for Japan attacking the US. There were many. First off, the US did place an embargo on Japan after it attacked China. With half the world at war, the US didn’t feel as though they should be helping Japan in there efforts to dominate Asia, so the imposed an embargo on metals, oil and other materials used in their war effort.
Also, the Japanese wanted to limit US naval power in the Pacific. The US had plenty of interests in the South Pacific, and increased their navy presence in near Japan. Japan seeen this as a threat to their ability to dominate the region. They wanted more than China, including American territories, so they knew they needed to attack Pearl Harbor and minimize the US ability to defend its allies.
Slick

The series is pretty amazing. If you ever read Stephen Ambrose books where he tells the history through first hand stories, this is a lot like that. It also reminds me of the Ken Burns’ documentary in that way.

Gary Sinese is quite good as a narrator. That tiny bit of souther drawl make him a iconic american speaker, much in the way Morgan Freeman is with his dry and clear delivery style.

I haven’t watched but a few minutes of it, but I’ve recorded all the episodes on one of my HD DVRs so I’ll have them to watch when I have time (HA!).

i’ve seen some, it actually really interesting.