Objectionable content: None
Number of episodes: 193
Vintage: 1963-01-01 to 1966-12-31

ANN Info Page

Astro Boy (1980)

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: mecha
Plot Summary: Creating a robotic boy in the image of his recently deceased son Tobio, Professor Tenma thought nothing could go wrong now that his beloved child had been “reborn”… that is, until he comes to realize that this invention could never replace his son. Before long, however, the robot is kidnapped and spirited away to a robot circus in America, where he is soon rescued by Dr. Ochanomizu, and taken into his care. Tobio is given the new name Tetsuwan Atom, and transforms into Japan’s crime-fighting hero, although his anti-violent pacifist views and overall childlike naivety tend to clash with his battles often.
Number of episodes: 52
Vintage: 1980-10-01 to 1981-12-23

ANN Info Page

Astro Boy (2003)

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: androids, mecha
Plot Summary: Astro is a robotic boy that possesses super human powers and an artificial intelligence system that is unparalleled to any robot. His creator, Dr. Tenma, created him to replace his late son, Tovio. Dr. Tenma soon destroys his laboratory, after the creation of Astro, and shuts down Astro. Soon after, Dr. O’Shay, the head of the Ministry of Science revives Astro, and tries to give him a normal life as a 6th grade student that helps the police agency keep renegade robots and bigot humans from causing harm. Astro faces extreme racism for being a robot, and he must discover the truth about his creator Dr. Tenma.
Number of episodes: 50
Vintage: 2003-04-06 to 2004-03-28

ANN Info Page

Atom The Beginning

Genres: science fiction
Number of Episodes: 12
Vintage: 2017-04-15
Plot Summary: In Japan after a great calamity, there were two geniuses who dreamed of the future. One was Umatarō Tenma. The other was Hiroshi Ochanomizu. The two labored day and night in robot research — Tenma to create a “god,” and Ochanomizu to create a “friend.” Thus a robot, A106, was born from their collaborative friendship. (from manga)

ANN Info Page

Pluto

Genres: drama, mystery, psychological, science fiction
Themes: androids, conspiracy, crime, detectives, police, robots
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Based off of a story arc from Osamu Tezuka’s Tesuwan Atomu, Pluto follows the Europol detective Gesicht as he tries to uncover the mystery behind a string of robot and human deaths. The case becomes much more puzzling when evidence leans toward the murders being the work of a robot, which is something that hasn’t happened for 8 years.
Number of Episodes: 8
Vintage: 2023-10-26

ANN Info Page

Astro Boy: Hero of Space (movie) Vintage: 1964-07-25
Astro Boy: Shinsen-gumi (movie) Vintage: 2001-07-20
Astro Boy (U.S. movie) Vintage: 2009-10-10

I finally saw a commercial for this movie tonight. Looks like it’s CGI - but it looks like it might be good, the kids will like it at any rate.

Any opinions? There doesn’t seem to be a thread already, I did search.

Since it’s an Imagi animation studio film, which made TMNT in 2007 and I liked, I’ll be seeing it. Sure it’s been adapted for a wider mainstream audience, duh…it’s Hollywood, but if it’s good it’s good.
And now to wait for their Gatchaman movie which comes out in 2010/2011.

Here are some stills from the movie:

I really want to see it.
Unlike other adaptions made, or being made, going CG might be better.
I figure I should see it since I am on a Japanimation-to-theater kick as of late. Ponyo (the best anime feature for me this year), Eureka7, and Evangelion 0.1.

Astro Boy Ad Posted, Early Screenings Slated for NYC

posted on 2009-10-02 23:57 EDT
Movie toys already on store shelves; online exclusive guide posted

I hope this is a success. If so, this will be a big boost to introducing Anime to the general public. By mainstraming Anime, it will help the survival of the artform

Astro Boy Screens at Chicago, Oblivion Island in NYC

posted on 2009-10-16 19:14 EDT
Oblivion Island unit director Naoyoshi Shiotani to attend New York premiere

WATCH

AH Tommy you watch his reviews too? WIYA is great to watch, I really enjoy his reviews as well. LoL.

Anyway this looks quite interesting. Plus I only just relized Dr. Tenma in Monster is named after Dr. Tenma in Astro Boy, despite knowing Urasawa loved Tezuka. Personally I did not like the old black and white series, but the CGI movie looks pretty good. Not a huge fan of CGI movies, but I like the good ones. Never was a real fan of Tezuka either, only really love the Black Jack OVA Series! Which is exellent! Although I don’t think many fans would like it, but for me it kicked all types of ass.

Astro Boy Happy Meal Toys Coming to McDonald’s

posted on 2009-10-18 13:03 EDT
Bakugan Battle Brawlers toys given away with each children’s meal now

I am sure the movie will be great!

Imagi’s Astro Boy CG Film Clips Posted

posted on 2009-10-19 16:22 EDT
Film to open on Friday; director David Bowers, actress Kristen Bell interviewed

Saw a promo for it last night on the tube. Put itself right onto the list to see!

Astro Boy Reboot’s 1st Image Unveiled

posted on 2014-12-21 23:57 EST
French/Monacan/Japanese project to use both 2D and CG animation

Astro Boy Reboot Teased in 1st Video

posted on 2015-03-21 07:00 EDT
1st look at French/Monacan/Japanese project with 2D, CG animation

2003 Astro Boy Anime Gets New DVD Release by Mill Creek Entertainment

posted on 2015-03-26 23:57 EDT
Sony previously released the series on five individual volumes in 2009

The Mike Toole Show -The Astro Boy Next Door

by Mike Toole, May 17th 2015

Amazon Japan Lists “Robot Atom/Little Astro Boy” DVD

May 24, 2015 7:50am CDT
Rie Murakawa (Hotaru Ichijo in Non Non Biyori) voices Atom

“Astro Boy Reboot” Cast Featured in New Visual

March 08, 2016 4:33pm CST
For the first time, producers of new “Astro Boy” have the right to change the story

Astro Boy Prequel Manga Atom the Beginning Gets Anime Adaptation

posted on 2016-05-30 02:30 EDT
3rd volume of manga by Ride Back’s Kasahara ships on June 3