Best Buy Anime - It shrank again

I stopped in my local Best Buy today to see if they had something and noticed the Anime section has shrank again. For a while they were setting the Anime stuff like the others spine out now they are setting the front cover out which means with the less space used for anime it also means less anime on the shelves. It does not help that the dividers between the shelves have been moved in more to allow more space for Scifi and what ever is on the other side. What was on the shelf you ask mostly Viz , some Bandai , and only assorted Dragon Ball releases from Funimation. May have been one copy of Maria Holic there ,but it’s been there for a while. I went in about two months before and it was mostly Funimation stuff now I notice they are having a sale online for Funimation. Makes me wonder a little bit.

Glad all of my Anime buys have been moved to online because also happened to notice my FYE since Suncoast closed has not been getting hardly any new Anime releases. I’d be screwed if I did not have a credit or debit card.

The 2 close FRYs around here still have a fairly big anime selection, though from the looks of it, a lot of the stuff they had, has been there for quite some time.
But still, they actually still have a full length anime isle.

They still had various singles copies and artboxes of:

Le Chevalier D’Eon
Godannar
Pumpkin Scissors
Red Garden
UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie (all the singles of this actually)

… just to name a few that I remember seeing.

They also had a lot of the newer released stuff.

Yeah, the section at mine has gotten smaller too. We hardly even have any Dragon Ball releases anymore, because no one is buying them. We’ve only sold one copy of Kai, and we use to sell several copies of each season. I think the last really big anime seller we had was Devil May Cry Volume 1, though the boxsets didn’t really move later. Halo Legends and Appleseed Ex Machina came close, but not quite there.

I keep having flashbacks to our section during the Lucky Star releases, when we had 16 feet of anime section and I started hearing rumors Best Buy was dropping the category from stores and moving everything online. At that point, our shelves were overflowing with Bandai product and the next big sendback was when you noticed their issues really come to a head. It was also when you started seeing more product moving online only and the anime sections starting to shrink.

But we’ve been cutting back through out all the media categories. They had hopes Bluray would pick up the DVD slack, but it’s still suppose to be another 3 years before it overtakes that. Not to mention, it will never have the sales volume that DVD enjoyed at it’s height. There is just too much competition, and segmenting it with 3D blurays now isn’t going to help matters.

I’ve also noticed my local FYE stores are carrying very few new releases these days. Their anime selection seems primarily older box sets and singles, with only one or two new releases from Sentai and Funimation, and even those are few months old. Has anyone else noticed this as well?

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]
The 2 close FRYs around here still have a fairly big anime selection, though from the looks of it, a lot of the stuff they had, has been there for quite some time.
But still, they actually still have a full length anime isle.

They still had various singles copies and artboxes of:

Le Chevalier D’Eon
Godannar
Pumpkin Scissors
Red Garden
UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie (all the singles of this actually)

… just to name a few that I remember seeing.

They also had a lot of the newer released stuff.[/quote]

Makes me wish we had Frys here in PA. We just have the few remaining FYE’s and Best Buy.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
But we’ve been cutting back through out all the media categories. They had hopes Bluray would pick up the DVD slack, but it’s still suppose to be another 3 years before it overtakes that. Not to mention, it will never have the sales volume that DVD enjoyed at it’s height. There is just too much competition, and segmenting it with 3D blurays now isn’t going to help matters.

I’ve also noticed my local FYE stores are carrying very few new releases these days. Their anime selection seems primarily older box sets and singles, with only one or two new releases from Sentai and Funimation, and even those are few months old. Has anyone else noticed this as well?[/quote]

Yeah I did notice the major cut back of space the Media Section took up. Odd part is the TV series sets seems to have grown and is bigger then even the Blu-Ray section. Only part in mine that seems to have gotten bigger is the Video Games and I half suspect its more looks like its bigger because of the huge section in the center with the guitar hero set up.

FYE mine has not changed the size of the anime in two years ,but most of what they have is the older box sets and singles. Plus they’ve thrown the used DVD’s in with the regular ones now. The one upstate in the bigger mall did get a few newer titles in ,but even then it was not many. Also the one upstate the Anime Section is pretty decent size ,but again its mostly used and older stock.

The closest mall to me has a Borders I haven’t been in in probably a year, a Best Buy and… it’s bad, I think the other one is an FYE, but I’m not sure. They carry used stuff, but a lot of times I can buy it new cheaper out of the RSI bargain bin… I bought a calendar in there cheap around February, the last I was in any of them. FYE did have some Aria sets though, the last I remember, they were discounted some off the MSRP but not at Best Buy levels and you can find them cheaper online if you dig.

Wasn’t FYE having cash problems?

Honestly, the only anime I haven’t bought from RSI since Best Buy did that 50% off sale were some $1 bootlegs of ancient stuff in the dollar store. If I can’t get it from them, it will turn up, cheap, somewhere just sitting right here. Even if I have to pay shipping, media mail is cheap enough for just a couple discs I can usually beat the price anywhere in a brick and mortar store. I have to think anymore anyone else who’s shopping-savvy does the same thing, which is why in-store sales have slowed.

And I don’t think I’ve sold any of my own stock so far this year, I’ve set up 3 or 4 times and not a one… I even have some new stuff I didn’t have last year in the mix. If they won’t buy it sealed new from me for less than FYE’s cheapest USED titles, they’re not going to buy it from anyone.

Local Best Buy is holding at Three Sections with a good variety of items.
There were a few time I was able to find a good deal. Lately, the price have been a bit high. It was worth it when I had to buy a few Big Ticket Item with my reward zone card and the Anime was pretty close to free. If I had a good reward zone cupon, it made buying the Anime there worth it. It been a while since I need to buy any Big Ticket Items and last set of coupons did not decrease the cost significantly over Right Stuff.

I did get 2 Anime movies from Best Buy this year.
20 Anime collections were bough from Right Sutff this year.

at least you have anime at your best buy. I cant find a single blu-ray copy of Claymore any where

Best Buy is irrelevant. I buy all my anime either from RSI, Amazon, or Ebay.

[quote=blakdragon7]
Best Buy is irrelevant. I buy all my anime either from RSI, Amazon, or Ebay.[/quote]

It may be irrelevant to you, but to Funimation, Sentai and the like, its still their biggest customer. The cut backs at Best Buy have a direct impact on the R1 anime market. Less places to sell your releases means less revenue coming in, and less money for things like dubs.

Hmm I’ll have to go look at my local Best Buy and see if they still have a section. Last time I was in they had maybe a 6 foot section of anime, most of it new stuff from Funimation. I hope it doesn’t disappear before I get a chance to use my gift card!

Most likely the Claymore Blue-Ray is in the “Blue Ray” section.
In local best buy this right now three entire row mostly alphabetica with all the genres mixed together.It’s Unholy

I was at Best Buy last week, there were a number of Anime in the “Blue Ray” section, I don’t remember seeing Claymore or a few of the other Blue-Ray animes that had been out for a while.

I got my Blue-Ray Claymore compete collection from Right Suff! when they had percent off of Funmation stuff.

BTW, it’s bluray, not blue-ray…lol

Also, the selection at Best Buy is going to get much worse, especially come September…

[quote=dragonrider_cody]

Also, the selection at Best Buy is going to get much worse, especially come September…[/quote]

:X Quite sad if I do say.

It’s almost pointless to look for media that isn’t mainstream in real stores. I’m glad I’m am Amazon Prime member. It pays for itself, if you don’t like waiting for shipments.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]

Also, the selection at Best Buy is going to get much worse, especially come September…[/quote]

Oh? What’s happening in September?

[quote=Newshawk]

[quote=dragonrider_cody]

Oh? What’s happening in September?[/quote]

July, August, and September are usually the return or clearance stuff to make room for new stock months. My guess is Best Buy is going to end up close to these hhgregg stores that have popped up everyplace on the east coast recently. Hardly anything besides electronics and appliances before to long. Which really you can’t blame them considering how bad B&M home media sales are now. I’d be surprised if in 2 years time there is still a FYE at this point. Internet is messing up everything once again. :wink:

I’m still trying to figure out what the companies were thinking with this Blu-ray/HD-DVD thing. DVD was already starting to tether-totter so lets put out a new more expensive format to divide sales even more? Least they learned some of their lessons from Laserdisc and are lowering prices more quickly. Course if HD-DVD had won it’d have come down in price a lot faster then Blu-Ray is. Though Blu-Ray players are getting cheaper. Though you still can’t get a decent one for under $129.99. By decent I mean ones that actually can be updated through a cable instead of a flash drive or burned CD. I also would like one for around 149.99 that has Wifi ,but that is probably going to take another year.

Well I heard the PS3 has dropped to $150.00…

[quote=psychopuppet]
By decent I mean ones that actually can be updated through a cable instead of a flash drive or burned CD. I also would like one for around 149.99 that has Wifi ,but that is probably going to take another year.[/quote]

It’s probably why Fillet said this, but I think you just described a PS3 there.

[quote=MrBoomba]

[quote=psychopuppet]
By decent I mean ones that actually can be updated through a cable instead of a flash drive or burned CD. I also would like one for around 149.99 that has Wifi ,but that is probably going to take another year.[/quote]

It’s probably why Fillet said this, but I think you just described a PS3 there.[/quote]

Yeah, but using it as a Blu-Ray and a game console will ultimately cut its life. It’s already been said they expect about 3 years out of one pass that it’s just luck. Plus I have some issues with Sony as of late.