Blog Archive: 2009-2014

Sorry to double post, but did Comcast drop TAN, or did TAN drop Comcast? I should have asked that in the first place.
Slick

[quote=slickwolfie]
Sorry to double post, but did Comcast drop TAN, or did TAN drop Comcast? I should have asked that in the first place.
Slick[/quote]

I doubt weā€™ll get any answer to that for various reasons, at least not anytime soon, since Anime Network and various companies keep trade secrets and AN wonā€™t want to dissolve any relationship even in spite of this.

Butā€¦ Comcast and that other company partnering up recentlyā€¦ well I think that must have had an effect. Anime Network was one of the first companies to support Comcast and its VOD platform, and well recently Comcast chose another anime company to partner with and provide a lot more storage space. A lot of Comcast users have been asking Anime Network and Comcast for years for Comcast to provide more storage space for Anime Network, since we wanted to see more stuffā€¦ I guess instead of listening Comcast feels only one anime company is enough and they chose to go with that company instead.

Unfortunately this is one of the side effects of the contracting industry with the industry going through hard times lately. Less opportunity and diversity in the marketplace, and after last yearā€™s hardship, it left Anime Network and ADV exposedā€¦ and the other company certainly seized on the opportunity it looks like. :frowning: Hopefully things will get better with all the good stuff happening at Anime Network lately in their expansion, but the damage from last year is gonna be tough.

1 Like

[quote=dragoon]

[quote=slickwolfie]
Slick[/quote]

I doubt weā€™ll get any answer to that for various reasons, at least not anytime soon, since Anime Network and various companies keep trade secrets and AN wonā€™t want to dissolve any relationship even in spite of this.

Butā€¦ Comcast and that other company partnering up recentlyā€¦ well I think that must have had an effect. Anime Network was one of the first companies to support Comcast and its VOD platform, and well recently Comcast chose another anime company to partner with and provide a lot more storage space. A lot of Comcast users have been asking Anime Network and Comcast for years for Comcast to provide more storage space for Anime Network, since we wanted to see more stuffā€¦ I guess instead of listening Comcast feels only one anime company is enough and they chose to go with that company instead.

Unfortunately this is one of the side effects of the contracting industry with the industry going through hard times lately. Less opportunity and diversity in the marketplace, and after last yearā€™s hardship, it left Anime Network and ADV exposedā€¦ and they certainly seized on the opportunity it looks like. :frowning: Hopefully things will get better with all the good stuff happening at Anime Network lately in their expansion, but the damage from last year is gonna be tough.[/quote]

I kind of figured that Comcast was more interested in the other channel, since it dropped AS from its line up. I also wouldnā€™t be surprised if TAN just wanted out of Comcasts VOD line-up. They have been a big part of their VOD for years, yet Comcast seemed to shun them repeatedly. Iā€™ve noticed how little content Comcast had allowed from TAN for a while now, and that really ticked me off. Like you said, weā€™ll probably never know what happened.
Like I said earlier, I will definitely be dropping Comcast. I was going to drop them last year, with the whole NFL Network deal, but didnā€™t. The only thing I will be missing is their internet service. Its a lot faster that Verizon, but Verizon is supposed to be upgrading their speeds very shortly.
Slick

Iā€™ll be calling Comcast about this as well. I am very disappointed about this :(. For many, many years Iā€™ve enjoyed the Anime Network on Demand, and now Comcast gives me the finger out of nowhere. I donā€™t understand why Anime Selects and Anime Network could sit side by side, but now the two anime channels cannotā€¦I kind of doubt, even with the problem TAN had with them, that theyā€™d just get off their provider. So I blame Comcast for this. I was hyped to see Utena there too, and now I get screwed. I like TAN over the other VOD anime channel, and now I donā€™t have a choose :frowning: . Damn them to hell!

Well Iā€™ll see if me complaining to Comcast, and hopefully others, will do anything. Letā€™s hope soā€¦

1 Like

KHAAAAAAN!..cast.

In all seriousness, this is pretty stupid. Comcast just loves to find ways to f0ck things up. They do have good internet service thoughā€¦ Either way, what is there to do? Change cable companies? Rightā€¦ not when they have a monopoly in most of their markets. Sucks. =\

1 Like

I really encourage everyone to contact Comast. The customer rep I talked sent up a channel request form, and I have actually gotten feedback from Comcast on those over the years. In one case, they actually did add a local channel a few months later that I had requested.

And for those of you that donā€™t liking talking to their reps over the phone, they do have an online support option that utilizes Java chat site. Just go to the contact us options and select ā€œLive Chatā€. You can also email them as well. I recommend contact them frequently and repeatedly to get our message across.

Sorry the other Anime channel just doesnt cut it. I was really looking forward to Orphen, Gakuen Alice, and more or Maria.

So how does the money end of VOD channels work exactly?

I see a commercial in it, but just one before and after. Presumably someone pays a small amount to place their ad.

But who pays who for the content? Is that just a mysterious trade secret or something?

Iā€™m just wondering if thereā€™s some reason they can - or canā€™t - justify this move.

1 Like

I would contact their customer service and get any friends or family to also contact the customer service.

Comcast my have just cut this to see if it is a service that people still want.
A loud out cry my change their mind. Unless they got rid of VOD entirely, in which case might be SOL.

1 Like

Comcast would never get rid of On Demand. Itā€™s a huge draw. In general, itā€™s the only draw that digital cable has over satellite. So yeah, they have no reason to get rid of it.

1 Like

So when Comcast does get VOD in my area they wonā€™t have TAN? F**k them, Iā€™ll just buy DVDs.

[quote=rebecca12]
So how does the money end of VOD channels work exactly?

I see a commercial in it, but just one before and after. Presumably someone pays a small amount to place their ad.

But who pays who for the content? Is that just a mysterious trade secret or something?

Iā€™m just wondering if thereā€™s some reason they can - or canā€™t - justify this move.[/quote]

I always assumed the commercials on TAN VOD gave ADV/TAN a decent amount of revenue each year. While the ratings probally arenā€™t amazing, it probally has a loyal audience of viewers, so it stays consistent with those numbers all throughout the year. The U.S. Nazy is a big supporter IIRC. Their commercials are always on. I think Microsoft used to have a lot of their adds on TAN too, but not anymore (but I might be mistaken here). As for the content most of it comes from ADV so itā€™s 100% free. The content from Rightstuf and other companies (like Enoki Films) might cost some money to get, but probally not a lot as itā€™s just used to promote those titles 99% of the time, or bring in a little spare cash to those other companies. TAN makes most of the money Iā€™d bet, at least off the adds. Itā€™s nothing amazing though Iā€™m sure. Probally enough to keep it running and bring in a little extra cash for ADV. They probally rely a little on ADVā€™s DVD sales too, from time to timeā€¦

1 Like

I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE BrightHOUSE!!! You guys better hurry up and get Brighthouse. Your missing Kibaā€¦

1 Like

I am wandering why this could be happening. I have thought of three possible scenarios.

1. Funimation wanted to gain an edge over ADV and wanted Comcast to drop other anime related services just to get Funi On Demand at a cheap price.

2. Comcast could be upset at ADV for starting an Online Subscription option and not wanting to go through their Fancast service.

3. In Comcastā€™s eyes they think ADV is asking way too much for the content and Funi gave it to them for cheap.

But I doubt there is an exclusive clause since AT&T and Dish Network are carrying both services.

1 Like

[quote=Ultimate_Mega_Man_X]
I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE BrightHOUSE!!! You guys better hurry up and get Brighthouse. Your missing Kibaā€¦[/quote]

For most of us, this isnā€™t an option.

I expect one way or another it comes down to following the money. Maybe itā€™s as simple as Funi paying a bunch of money to get their channel on and Comcast wanting to charge ADV more, or deciding they could afford to lose TAN. Here again it would help to know who pays who for what for VOD, Iā€™ll have to research that somewhere I guess.

1 Like

Well, it seems yesterday was the day for the pull. Checked my On Demand yesterday, and the channel was gone. I hope peopleā€™s various efforts to get the channel back will pay off.

Personally, i think we may have to up the ante a bit. Perhaps start sending in large quantities of fliers; maybe even mail in Japanese snacks, like pocky. We need to get the message across that WE WANT OUR ANIME BACK!!!

Iā€™ve noticed it was pulled as well last night. :frowning:

Iā€™ll be calling and emailing Comcast again. Sadly I think they and that other company have decided thatā€™s all they need.

1 Like

Contact Comcast even if drop them let them know why

The best way to do this is to call your local office or email us at ecareonline@comcast.net.

The best way to do this is to call your local office or email us at ecareonline@comcast.net

Rodel.24219(Tue Jun 02 2009 19:12:33 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

You can also fill out a channel request form to request to add the Anime network in your channel line up.

Rodel.24219(Tue Jun 02 2009 19:12:36 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Channel requests help us to make decisions about
adding to or changing channel lineups. Please visit the link below to send your channel requests: http://www.comcast.com/corporate/customers/contactus/feedback.html

:angry:

1 Like

I will personally be a thorn in Comcastā€™s side until TAN is back up. I have emailed them six times so far, used the online chat service twice, and called three times. I also sent additional emails to our local office, and have got several friends to do the same. We also plan on creating fliers and start mailing them in mass to Comcast.

Perhaps we should threaten a class action lawsuitā€¦lol. That got the Viacom channels back on Dish very quickly after allā€¦lol :laugh:

Regardless, Iā€™m not letting Comcast off easy on this one. Iā€™ve forgiven a lot from those d-bags, and this is just one step too far. Now Iā€™m pissed.

[size=4]I discovered this morning that Comcast had dropped Anime Network. It took a month for me to reconcile with the change in Anime Selects, and that was based on the idea that Anime Network was still going to be there. Incidentally my local Comcast provider was actually at the low end of Anime Network content to begin with. I was always annoyed with that. Just shows that my local provider is even worse than other peopleā€™s when it comes to anime.

They must not tell their online TV listing people that these things are going to happen, because they still list the Anime Network for June.

In the process of all this I was able to actually talk by email with the programmer of the new channel (who also programmed Anime Selects). She commented that if it wasnā€™t for dedicated viewers like me Comcast would have dropped anime entirely by now. She mentioned how little space they were provided, but did say that there would be more content soon and some of the shows that were on will come back, and that by August we would be happier with the selection. But still I think there isnā€™t, and wonā€™t be, according to their plan, nearly enough anime (on the new channel) compared to the amount they provided before. And now to see that the Anime Network is gone! I am really ticked off now.

Even if we get it back, at least at my local Comcast provider I bet that I will still get the skimpy pickings we got before, if not less.
Considering some of the content Comcast they have added to The Cutting Edge lately (at least), Iā€™m amazed they canā€™t find enough space for anime.

Anyway I have already written some emails and put in a channel request form, but I wouldnā€™t hold my breath. [/size]:angry:

1 Like