Books You've Recently Read

Meh…a decent start to a newer fantasy series; more D&D/Pathfinder than GoT. Still a good read for a lazy afternoon.

I might re-read Percy Jackson and the Kane Chronicles later and hopefully translate some light novels I imported…

because reading is fun people…

Great worldbuilding, meh plot…like an episode of Law & Order/CSI…in SPACE!!!
Finding a lot of sci-fi books like this…and finding them more “fantasy” than the actual fantasy books…

reading is fun…you hear… :angry:

1 Like

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SKnhxJ2bL.jpg
a fun romp in an anime-esgue world.
fans of Inuyasha/Rin-ne, with a smattering of Death Note, might like it.
fun and lite, with a meta/4th wall quality to it.

finished re-reading something a haven’t picked up in years…and I mean YEARS…

[details=does it hold up, almost 20 years later?]http://vomzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/cute-sigh-gif-780.gif
Half Price Books will find you a new home.[/details]

In the last week…

**Fifty Shades trilogy**

Fifty Shades of Grey - better than the movie.
Fifty Shades Darker
Fifty Shades Freed
Reading the whole story all at once is a definite plus, no waiting for sequels. I enjoyed it a lot, but then I AM a dungeon mistress.

Grey - alternate version of Fifty Shades from the guy’s viewpoint.

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, a sequel to The Shining, I’d definite recommend this to anyone who wondered what happened to little Danny Torrance.

1 Like
Summary

Star Wars meets 28 Days Later, or better yet Flight of the Living Dead…in SPACEEEE!

@Tonka Thanks for reminding me about this thread

Mr. Mercedes
Finders Keepers

Both by Stephen King, one is a continuation of the other, now I have to wait for the third one.

1 Like

:wink::+1:

1 Like

Currently reading -

Alaska by James A. Michener

Fun, quick read. Harry Potter meets Conan the Barbarian. Unfortunately, no continuation ever followed. :disappointed:

tried reading his Mexico; not what I expected and never finished. Might give it another go before deciding to either shelf it or box it.

1 Like

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61nI5VcQV4L.SX329_BO1,204,203,200.jpg

quick, fun read in a 80’s/90’s action buddy flick vein.

1 Like

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61wYH0nWLsL.jpg

No!
I like me a good spy/espionage thriller as much as the next guy/gal/…it? but not when you make the supposed good guys come off as catty, cliquey, "high-school"esque and the bad guys come out as someone you root for.

The constant change between first person and third person narrative was also a big turn-off.
Not a big fan of it but is tolerable in certain books.
This wasn’t one of them.

1 Like

I love Cussler’s NUMA Files!! :+1:

Always a great Summer read.

a mofo classic…with all its ‘un-pc-ness’…:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Good, not great, anthology were Conan/Yojimbo/Spartacus meets Cthulhu/Elder/Ancient.

2 Likes

Haven’t been in these parts in some time. :wink:

I just tonight finished Stardust, which I have to say that I loved just as much as the movie. Both have relatively happy endings, but there is something more honest and perhaps a bit melancholy about the book’s ending. I highly recommend both.

1 Like

This it the version I have; and yes, it was pretty good. Nowhere near American Gods or even Neverwhere but good nonetheless.

As for the movie…mehhhhhhhh…it was alright.

1 Like

I actually have this version, but chose to share the older cover with the more interesting Cover. :wink:

I have a big soft spot for fantasy movies, especially as they seem to rarely get made these days (outside of animation.). So I really enjoyed it. I can understand several of the changes that they made for the film, though some were definitely unnecessary. This is especially true towards the end, where the novel’s route would probably have been very anticlimactic on the big screen.

This is actually the first Neil Gaiman book that I’ve read. I wasn’t familiar with him until a year or two ago. I’m a huge fan of A Lee Martinez, and Gaiman always comes up in conversations as being recommended to his fans. I also have The Graveyard Book, and will probably be grabbing American Gods as well.

an oldie from ‘79,
Classic Sword n’ Sorcery with all the tropes and clichés but with a Red Sonja-esque protagonist.
quick, tight read…

now to dig out the next two sequels in the series.
hopefully they’re still laying around.