Books You've Recently Read

'nuff said…:smile:

2 Likes

The House of Furies

Just finished this today. I enjoy Madeleine Roux’s work, but it always seems like her books are missing something that’s needed to really take them to the next level. Regardless, this was a solid gothic horror read. I look forward to the next ones in the series.

1 Like

Death of a Neighborhood Witch
by Laura Levin

I grabbed this book on while from the library due to its colorful cover. It was funnier and far more entertaining than I expected. The twist at the end of the mystery actually got me too, which almost never happens. I would definitely recommend it.

1 Like

The Darkest Part of the Forest
by Holly Black

This one completely entranced me, and I finished it in a single day. It’s a modern fairy tale, with a dash of action and adventure. And of course, there are also love stories for both the brother and sister.

It’s actually been a while since I enjoyed a book enough to finish it this quickly. I highly recommend it. It’s actually a bit funny as it has been sitting in my car for the better part of two years…lol

1 Like

We’ll Never Be Apart
by Emiko Jean

A satisfying, if predictable psychological thriller. While it was enjoyable, it travels down a very familiar path that many books and movies have taken before it. Still, it was a decent and quick read.

1 Like

The Graveyard Book
by Neil Gaiman

This is a basically a gothic reimagining of the Jungle Book, where the orphan Bod, short for Nobody, is raised by the inhabitants on an old decaying cemetery. If ever there was a book more fit for me than one about a child living in graveyard, I don’t know of it.

This was my second Gaiman book and I enjoyed just as much as the first. And like Stardust, the book’s ending left me with a bit of sadness and longing. It may not have been perfect, but it stayed with me after I closed the cover. That’s usually a sign of a good book.

2 Likes

knight

2 Likes

https://www.blackgate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Baen-Kull-Robert-E-Howard.jpg

a classic…:muscle:

Rawr! :stuck_out_tongue:

keep forgetting why I stopped reading this series…"right-wing, war hawk Rambo were American intervention into third-world non-nuclear nations, American sanctioned drone strikes and assassinations, and having numerous military bases/assets around the world in other people’s country are good…and any other countries’ same attempts are BAAAADDDDDD!..especially those dastardly Russians…grrrrrrrr!

which is a shame…the guy can write good action.

1 Like

Never heard of that writer, so you would suggest them?

Brad Thor? Sure, as much I ranted bout his political views above, he does write a good action story and decent/good dialogue and his hero Scot Harvath is classic ‘bad ass’, with 16 books in the series.

I say pick one up at either your local library or Walgreen’s/Jewel’s and give it a read.

1 Like

Damn, I really need to update my recent books here. I decided to get into the Halloween spirit early this year. Not that I ever don’t do that. :wink:

1 Like

linsey's story

anyone else read this?

100 pages in and I’m not feeling it.
Don’t want to go all 600+ for something I won’t like.

1 Like

I have not read it, but you got 100 pages into a King story and aren’t excited?!? Madness!!!

1 Like

dropped Lisey’s Story and started on this:

much, much better…:smile:

2 Likes

Thoroughly creepy & thought-provoking

1 Like

04e71825fa1511b100d7a9391f3dba70

2 Likes

Wendy’s Button Box, read that on the plane coming back to work from Christmas. A Stephen King novella, and a good one to boot!

1 Like

star wars

meh…disappointing story wise, character wise, etc…

into the resell box.
too bad though…them are some good looking books.

:disappointed:

1 Like