AN Forums

Brain Drain

Remember that stuff, New Coke was awful. Coke will never entirely recover from it.

Mark Gosdin

2 Likes

I gave in, and got it too. Honestly curious to the flavor compared to Coke Classic.

Will put thoughts when I try it later tonight.

(Just picked it up from the post office, and put it in the fridge. Now running errands)

3 Likes

Keep in mind that I christened it “Swamp Water” at the time.

No one objected.

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes

I was 5 when it came out . I had it don’t remember the taste . I do remember we started drinking Pepsi that year .

2 Likes

I am that game’s cool just beat Cell BTW

You were right @mgosdin, it doesn’t taste good. The flavor is a cross between Diet Coke and Pepsi. It reminds me of Sam’s Choice cola.

All in all it wasn’t a total waste of $20, cause this was a new experience, but I now know why there was such an uproar back in the 80’s.

3 Likes

You can understand now how badly New Coke was received. It wasn’t so much that it didn’t taste good, Coca Cola stopped producing the original Coke and New Coke was all there was.

They got so much heated feedback that it was really incredible they ignored that feedback and it took them several months to admit their mistake & restart real Coke production again.

We bought a couple of 2 Liter bottles of New Coke back in 1985, I poured both down the drain and we started drinking RC Cola & Pepsi.

Mark Gosdin

2 Likes

Are you planning on trying your New Coke @psychopuppet?

Would like to hear your thoughts if so.

1 Like

Yes . Hid it in the garage fridge and forgot about it last night . Just had my teeth cleaned today so trying avoid sugar and to much acid for the day . I’ll give it a drink Saturday…

2 Likes

The flavor isn’t horrible, but if I want something that tastes like a Pepsi, I’ll buy a Pepsi.

I read about people hoarding the old recipe Coke, and selling it for a significant premium. Can you imagine if that happened today with online shopping?

2 Likes

I don’t think they would have made it into production with New Coke in today’s environment. Can you imagine the Social Media backlash? :woozy_face:

Mark Gosdin

2 Likes

People have practically ruined their lives with an individual post. For Coke, that might as well be equal to brand suicide…

2 Likes

So Funimation’s September stuff is sort of up on their website . Until they show up on Rightstuf can’t be 100% certain if it’s final ,but if it is that is a lot of essentials sets .

1 Like

Either they took it all off already, or it’s not showing in mobile Chrome. The furthest away set it’s showing when I look up the Funi store is Danganronpa 3, which releases in August.

1 Like

Looks like Funimation needs a copy editor too.

4 Likes

Yeah it seems it went live by mistake it’s all been taken down .

2 Likes

You know Septembers slates is the first month I’ve not pre-ordered at least one thing right when it went up . Feels weird .lol

2 Likes

Thought this sounded interesting. Wish they could do something about the scalpers here.

4 Likes

It’d be nice . Guessing this is because of the Olympic’s next year .

I’m wondering if we will see less fan service and odd strange anime/manga titles the closer we get to them . Japan seems to be trying to I’m not sure if hide the neon skeletons in the closet the closer we get ,but it fits in my head .

@MaouSadao not forgotten about the New Coke . I mean I did forget yesterday . I’ll taste it this afternoon after I get done with lunch .

Edit:

So I drank it today .

The taste is like someone trying to make a imitation Coke using a Pepsi as a starter base . It’s got a hint of coke flavor ,but it’s very faint and it’s not the full flavor . Like they used part of then changed the rest to replicate another soda ,but give you that it’s a coke yet not really feeling . Can certainly see why people were flipping out as this was not something to replace the original with ,but to add to the brand as a cousin . I can see why they did the release like this now to . I think unlike Ecto-cooler the retro hype would have been dead quickly .

2 Likes

It came from my closet !
It’s Prefectural Earth Defense Force !
I believe I have another sealed copy floating around . Might be Battle Angel though .
I think this may have been one of the lowest DVD runs ADV did next to Dunbine 11 and 12 .

1 Like