Brain Drain

While waiting for my hubby to come and get ready for dinner, I was reading some of the nutrition labels.

We bought a pumpkin pie this year instead of making one (it was just the two of us) and I noticed that the serving size was 1/5 of the pie. Who cuts a pie into five pieces? Don’t most people cut pie into even pieces? I got to looking at some of the frozen pizzas we had in our freezer and most of those serving sizes were for 1/5 of the pizza.

Does anyone here cut round things into odd-numbered pieces?

2 Likes

It’s probably the result of some regulation or another which requires a fixed weight or volume of the food item be used to determine the nutrition values. It works out to 1/5 of the package. I’ve never seen anyone slice a round food item into an odd number of pieces, now square items are another thing.

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes

So while I doubt I will ever own the series on DVD . I picked myself up this little vintage Aura Battler Dunbine goodie .

4 Likes

This guy makes some valid points. As a collector of comics, graphic novels & manga, I agree with most of this.

2 Likes

So I got my 3 Sentai series from the Rightstuf Christmas sale, Blu-Rays all so I went to check them out on my wife’s PC with the external Blu-Ray drive. The first disk of “Wish on the Pleiades” wouldn’t play. Hmm, I tried the second disk same result. Took the disks to our trusty SONY player and they loaded up fine.

Back to the PC, check the drive, lasers look good, everything looks clean. Disconnect it from the shut-down PC to take it into better light and “SPARKS!” Seems there was a flaw in the electronics and after 3 years it died … violently.

So we have a new internal drive coming today from Amazon, which traveled from Texas to Ohio then to Florida to avoid the storms in the south. Hopefully it arrives in good order and I can get it working. Oh what fun!

Mark Gosdin

1 Like

Couple of smallish rants I have:

Deliveries

Why can’t delivery people ring the doorbell or knock on the door anymore? A lot of people I know (myself included) don’t use the front door regularly. We come in through the garage and only once or twice a week go out/in through the front door.

If I don’t see the delivery truck outside, I have no idea that there’s a package sitting there and with all the news lately about packages being stolen, I wish they’d announce themselves.

I try to look out a couple of times a day now, but I shouldn’t have to.

Is this worth complaining about?

Pharmacy

I use a nationwide chain pharmacy for my prescriptions and have a couple of meds I take regularly.

I’m supposed to get a reminder email (which I signed up for) 5-7 days ahead of each refill.

Lately, I’ve been getting these reminders 14-20 days ahead of time. I’ve just been deleting them, since that’s way too early, but decided to go ahead and order them one day, because I was getting annoyed with them.

Sent the email for the refill (THAT THEY ARE SENDING), and a couple hours later, I get a phone call that there’s a problem with my prescription. Seems my insurance company won’t approve refilling so early.

I very politely explained (since I realize that the person on the phone has nothing to do with it), that they sent the reminder and asked if there was a way to change it so it wouldn’t send so early. NO IDEA, NO IDEA WHO TO CONTACT.

Really? They don’t have any sort of info about their own services and who to contact if they’re screwed up???

Thinking about cancelling the email notifications, but shouldn’t there be a way to contact someone about this?

That concludes Slowhand’s Rants of the Day.
Thank you. :weary:

5 Likes

Deliveries.

We have a number of Townhomes in our subdivision ( Glorified Apartments TBH ) and 90% of the people living in them never use their front doors. So, it isn’t unusual to see packages sitting in front of a door for days or even weeks. Package theft appears to have prompted Amazon into establishing “Pick-up Locations” in 7 Eleven stores here in Kissimmee / Orlando.

Don’t know what to tell you about the prescription snafu. If you have Outlook ( Or similar calendar software ) on your PC you could setup a reminder there to order and then you’d have full control about when it bugs you.

Mark Gosdin

I noticed that I rarely get them ringing my doorbell (which doubles as a camera BTW). Check out my phone being delivered.

Thing is, to the right of that video is the side wall of my garage (I’m not sure if there’s a landmark to tell where the garage actually ends though…) and the direction the FedEx Truck goes after the delivery (Guess my phone was the only stop in the complex), that’s the direction I enter and leave, and since I go through my garage, I almost never see my front porch.

UPS and FedEx knock on the door and run like hell . Most of the time the boxes were looking like what happened in Ace Ventura. One of the Mail ladies lays on the horn till someone comes out or she finally figures out no one is coming out .

2 Likes

Slowhand’s Rant of the Day #3

Phone call

I’m just so angry, I can hardly type.

Phone rings from the same number for the 6th time in 10 minutes. I normally do not answer these calls, but this was really starting to piss me off.

Me: "Hello?"
Caller: Good morning, may I speak to < husband’s name >?"
“May I ask who’s calling?”
“John, from the NRA.”
“I’m sorry, he’s not here right now, but please take our name off your list.”
“Maybe I could call back later.”
“No, you can’t. I just asked you take our name off your list. Do not call back.”
“What time will he be home?”
“Can you hear me talking to you? I said to take our name off your list and do not call back.”
“I asked to speak to < husband’s name >.”
“Yes, I heard you, but I’m telling you that we’re not interested and to take our name off your list. Is your supervisor or manager there?”
---- long pause
"Yes."
“Please put your supervisor on the line.”
“I can call back later.”
“John, take our name off your list and put your supervisor on the line.”
“OK, well, you have a nice day.”
– click

Now I have no freakin’ idea if he’s taken our name off the list or not and I’m telling you, if he calls back, I won’t be so nice this time. I understand that these people are only doing what they’re told to do, but it’s been my understanding that if you ask to be taken off the calling list, they do so. Also, if you ask to speak to a higher up, they do so.

Thus ends another chapter of My Home Life - tune in next time…

EDIT: And they just called back! Are you serious???

2 Likes

Sounds like you just got the woman treatment LOL. That’s one of the reasons why my folks got rid of the house phone so we didn’t have to get calls from retards.

2 Likes

I was in the shower when they called back, but I heard it ring. If they call back, I’m going to ask for their last name (since they have mine) and then get that damn supervisor on the line.

And yes, I’m a silly woman who doesn’t know that my husband secretly wants the NRA to call him at home. :rolling_eyes:

3 Likes

Isn’t there a number or some place you can call to block numbers like that?

2 Likes

It is blocked now, but when they were calling, I still hadn’t looked up the place to do it. They just kept calling and calling. Good grief.

I’m sure they’ll start using a different number pretty soon. Seems to be the way it goes. Block on number, they call on another.

1 Like

We have cell phones that we use for all important calls and those have menu options to block #'s. The house phone is an IP line from Spectrum, ex-Brighthouse, nee-Time Warner, it is used for outbound calls only and has a cordless phone / answering machine which is set to not ring under any circumstances.

The NRA gave up on us long ago, scammers still call the IP phone however so I get to purge messages every so often.

Mark Gosdin

1 Like

Not a rant this time, but an amusing story:

Waxed Paper

I don’t bake much any more, I spend all my time here. :wink:

My hubby was a chef at one time, so he does almost all of the cooking.

I had reason to get some waxed paper earlier today and noticed a “Special Offer” on the box. I flipped it over and noticed that the deadline for entry was June 30, 1994. Let’s just say I haven’t used this waxed paper in while. :smile_cat:

Thank goodness it doesn’t expire.

5 Likes

I was looking up some recipes for when we have company, and I ran across one that has me scratching my head. The site alerts you to money-saving deals on some ingredients, but I had no idea that I’d need this one:

So… they actually give you coupons for water? That you put in a recipe? :open_mouth:

4 Likes

In other news I try to share a rational thought to a few people on social media to try to help maybe alleviate fear or worries only to have a rabid beast spawn out of nowhere bearing it’s blood-drenched claws and sharp teeth.

I barely made it out alive…

4 Likes

The more time passes the wiser my decision to forego most all social media gets and I ain’t that smart. Right now there is no helping that so many people are angry, normally that would eventually go away but we see it being stirred up time and again. So, it’s good advice to avoid the beasts where possible and be properly prepared for them if it isn’t possible to avoid.

Mark Gosdin

4 Likes

The groundhog saw his shadow, so 6 more weeks of winter.

3 Likes