AN Forums

Brain Drain

I’m seeing a lot of investment collectors pop up lately . I’m not sure if it’s a bad or good thing . On one hand they are bringing the values up ,but at the same time they are pricing out keep it collectors and joy of the nostalgia seekers .

It’s a good sellers and investors market ,but it’s kind of pushed out a lot of the collectors . It’s also brought out more scammers then ever .

Guess I should get off my lazy butt and sell out . Good thing is I don’t have to really get a lot out of things and feel like I’m ripping someone off as I bought most of my stuff when the market was low . So I can make a little profit and still feel good about myself not feeling like I took a bath in :poop: in the end . Never bought any of my stuff to really sell ,but it’s just lost my interest and it’s taking up space when it could be to someone that would enjoy it more . Plus give me some Van restore money .

4 Likes

It’s a bad thing, and my biggest reason for that is eventually the manufacturers of the goods will focus their pricing for these “whales” and we wind up where the industry revolves around a relative handful of collectors. The Japanese Anime Model of limited print runs, products at high price points (with dubious quality), and a cynical spiral towards the “consume product, get excited for next product” mindset.

One of my pals who is involved with a collectible industry watches a YouTuber who became an investment collector and discusses it (rather brusquely) and mentions that at some point, he’s going to stop doing the hoard-'n-flip business model and go back to collecting for personal enjoyment. I suspect he’ll be in for a rude awakening then.

If you’d like to cash out during the bubble then I don’t see anything bad about that, the only risk that comes to mind is that you could want to get back into collecting sometime down the line and the prices might be prohibitive to buy back in.

Personally I remain skeptical of the viability of investment collecting as the yuge gains, when they happen, look impressive but when I realize that they had their money tied up in a collectible for years, and that inflation is a harsh mistress, the gains seem small.

For the first time in a few years I’m on Amazon Prime, using a free trial, and I hardly recognize the place. It seems that most everything on here is Chinesium, with humorously bad Engrish. When did Amazon become Alibaba?

4 Likes

Yep, this 100%. I saw it happen to my Model Railroading hobby. All the reasonable priced equipment disappeared and was replaced with expensive hyper detailed models. I could afford a $80 - $100 dollar locomotive or a $20 car. Not $300 + and not $60 +.

So, I boxed my models up and moved on.

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes

I’ve been buying Audio equipment from Amazon & other online dealers. It’s all Chinese, but good quality with sparse but readable instructions. They’ve gotten some better in some cases.

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes

Well someone moved the table an inch . I’m pretty sure I just broke two toes . :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Find that perfect shirt ,but remember Japan’s Anime shirt sizes don’t go above XL .

5 Likes

Ordered some clear 3 disc blu-ray cases about a month ago . Emailed a few times and no response. Filed a case today . They automatically closed the case and sent a refund .

3 Likes