Breaking News Bulletin Board

There are a couple of sites that promote what’s known as ‘fake news’ and also share other fake news sites. Facebook has lately been awash with news that’s not only untrue, but harmful & hurtful.

Cracking down on this and being unable to get advertising for their own sites is a fitting punishment IMO.

Fake News = something that can be proven with facts as untrue

An example happening right now is several articles calling out Obama for not visiting the site of Hurricane Katrina. While it’s correct that he didn’t visit - he also wasn’t president at the time.

2 Likes

Provable true / false, then yes something should be done. However, much of what is promoted as “News” is primarily opinion.

And to be blunt, there is no true or false in opinion.

It shouldn’t be treated as news, but that dividing line was erased long.

You can ding Obama for a lot of things, but Katrina was before he came onto the scene.

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes

Oh yes, I agree that a lot of news is opinion, but when they start stating things that didn’t happen or are simply untrue, they need to be held accountable.

My Facebook feed is rife with some of my relatives sharing things that simply are not true. While it would only take them a few seconds to verify facts, they simply choose to believe everything they read and then share it.

If I point out that what they’re sharing isn’t true, they become defensive and tell me that they read it on the internet… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

A lot of people regard anything they see in print as if it were from the pages of their home town newspaper reporting on Friday night’s HS football game. Most of us here know that this just isn’t so, the folks on the internet and social media have axes ( or other sharp bladed instruments ) to grind.

Another adage, “Believe none of what you hear and very little of what you see.”

It applies even more to the internet. I expect that we will get some form of regulations before long.

Again, I don’t Social Media. Don’t Drink & Drive either.

Mark Gosdin

5 Likes

Probably the best advice ever.

5 Likes

Oh God it would make my day if any of the major news networks got flagged. I read an article the other day that the chief editor for the Washington Post(might have been the Wall Street Journal) was complaining about other staff members sharing more opinionated articles as though they were fact instead of just reporting the straight facts.

5 Likes

At the end of the day there will need to be some form of regulation not only on the internet but also on what has always been thought of as the “Free” press.

Which will shake Pandora’s box, open it, turn it upside down and give it a Hard thump.

I don’t look forward to that.

Mark Gosdin

2 Likes

Having no accounts on any social media myself gives me great piece of mind.
Now that’s a swamp full of creatures. :crocodile:

2 Likes

I social media, and I’m not social… How the hell does that happen?

3 Likes

Port Arthur, Texas, conditions “dire,” residents in “survival mode”

August 30, 2017, 4:46 AM

Bass Pro Shops donate more than 80 boats for Harvey rescue efforts

6:38 AM. EDT August 30, 2017

Harvey downgraded to tropical depression

Updated Aug. 30, 2017 at 11:45 PM

1 Like

Way to go, Bass Pro!

1 Like

Harvey Flooding Prompts New Evacuations Near Houston’s Barker Reservoir; Death Toll Climbs to At Least 29

Aug 31 2017 07:30 AM EDT

Explosions and Black Smoke Reported at Chemical Plant

August 31, 2017 UPDATED 8:44 AM

Baptist Hospitals moving patients due to failed water pump

9:00 AM. CDT August 31, 2017

Aug 31, 2017

I’d have 2.2 feet of water at my house

1 Like

Tool is a little broke when there’s existing lakes I think. I would have 3.6 feet of water, but the nearby lake is 6.2 feet…

1 Like

4.5 feet of water.

1 Like

Officials Raise Harvey-Related Death Toll To 39

September 1, 2017 7:23 AM

Hurricane Harvey could cost $190 billion, be worst-ever U.S. natural disaster, says AccuWeather

Sept 1, 2017 7:28 a.m. ET

Power being cut to W. Houston homes under mandatory evacuation

7:36 AM. CDT September 03, 2017

Catastrophic Hurricane Irma — now a Cat 5 — is on a collision course with Florida

September 5 at 2:05 PM

Yowser, watch out Snowy!

1 Like

Hurricane Irma slams the Caribbean, Florida could face ‘direct impacts’

Sep 6, 2017, 7:28 AM ET