Breaking News Bulletin Board

Time Announces 2017 Person of the Year: ‘The Silence Breakers’

December 06, 2017 10:20 am

Ferocious wildfires burn across Southern California, destroying homes and forcing thousands to evacuate

December 6, 2017

Possible pipe bomb explodes at Port Authority bus terminal in New York City: Sources

Dec 11, 2017, 8:01 AM ET

December 14, 2017

So does this mean that now the barrage of NN ads on sites will end?

3 Likes

Hopefully.

Mark Gosdin

1 Like

I just checked ANN and it looks like their counter is still up, displaying all 0s on its countdown. Looks like they didn’t have it set to time out automatically. At least it didn’t start counting negative time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Recently, concerns have emerged that the FCC’s online public comment function related to proposed changes to net neutrality may be contaminated by fake comments. This is on both sides of the issue.

Review the results to make sure comments were not submitted falsely on your behalf.

If I were to find my name how do I know that that’s the me that matters? :thinking::joy:

There’s a City/State listed. :newspaper:

December 15, 2017

Yeah I saw that but surprisingly there are several me’s in my area lol

Edit: unless it has some other determining factor or feature that distinguishes me LOL sorry I just thought of that

Edit #2: actually upon reexamining this it does not search by state. :scream: the city and state stuff is for the email part in case you do file a complaint

Newspeak vs Newspeak? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Deaths reported aboard Amtrak train that derailed over Washington state highway

December 18, 2017

1 Like

Putting on my Railfan’s hat, the Cascades trains are Push / Pull configuration trains with a Locomotive on one end and a Control Car on the other. The Control Car duplicates the Locomotive’s controls and is connected to the Locomotive by way of wires running under the various cars.

This configuration makes the pictures of the wreck seem odd, with the Locomotive sitting on the tracks and the majority of the cars derailed on the bridge or spilled down onto the highway. The train appears to have hit a truck of some kind just before it reached the bridge.

It looks like it hit the truck with the Control Car and the Locomotive pushed the various cars off the rails onto the bridge & highway. From the pictures it looks like the Control Car ended up upright on the highway some distance from the bridge. I would assume momentum carried it there, it should be heavier than the trains cars, but not as heavy as the engine equipped locomotive.

Mark Gosdin

1 Like

Those are just some devastating images. They really leave me in shock every time I see them.

2 Likes

In my years chasing trains I’ve seen as bad or worse wrecks. Some things haunt me to this day. Keep in mind that the Semi rigs on the Interstate have the same issues with momentum & wrecks, just on a slightly smaller scale.

Mark Gosdin

2 Likes

A while ago, I was riding Amtrak when it actually managed to hit a car that was stuck on the tracks. No one was injured, but I didn’t feel a thing when it happened.

If the AMTRAK staff hadn’t announced why, I wouldn’t have known that we’d hit anything. I was in the upper level of the dining car at the time.

…When I was following AMTRAK more avidly, I remember the prevailing thought being that whenever the President of AMTRAK tried to fix the system, he was tossed out on his ear. BTW, as I recall the last POTUS Administration made a yuge deal about AMTRAK (eg:riding it to the inauguration, Biden hyping how he rode it all the time as a Senator) AFAIK it didn’t improve the situation.

3 Likes

Jan. 2, 2018 at 06:00 am JST

690-1449546279-8162615-C-boxed

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0004157057
January 02, 2018

January 13, 2018

1 Like