Cartoon Network Gambles on Live Action

[size=16]Cartoon Network gambles on live action[/size]
It’s moving away from its animation roots – under the guidance of Rob Sorcher, who helped AMC develop ‘Mad Men’ and ‘Breaking Bad’ – but almost all its new reality shows are flopping.
August 17, 2009

Excellent article via LA Times

One interesting part…

I read somewhere that CN Real has been tanking in the ratings department.

Edit: After reading the article, it seems like the new heads are doing an all or nothing gamble. But if Disney and Nick knows there isn’t a point in doing more live action, why does CN feel the need? If there is one thing that people expect to see from Cartoon Network is CARTOONS. When people don’t see Cartoons, they are alarmed. This isn’t like AMC where people can see the new programming fitting in with the classic films. Also us anime fans aren’t alone because CN was getting rid of other cartoons as well. I see this all or nothing gamble failing for Cartoon Network. Even on this the kids know better. I could tell the people who are pushing this are very pig headed in thinking kids will accept anything.

Because Disney and Nick don’t need to - they have been dominating for years the key demographic that all three networks are going after. Cartoon Network probably feels the need to do that because the market isn’t enough to sustain 3 large cartoon/kids networks, and over the few years Cartoon Network simply hasn’t had the kind of properties for that demographic like Disney and Nick do. So, CN is looking for a new market, but I don’t think they will get it with Live Action - especially with how crap these new CN shows are. But on the other hand it’s not like CN has enough major cartoon oriented content either. Their decision makers and executives are also questionable… one has to wonder if a previous AMC executive knows this field at all.

Most of the cartoons nowadays suck anyway, that’s the root of the problem as far as I’m concerned. I’d rather watch Boomerang over any of the regular cartoon networks (but a lot of kids don’t really like Boomerang, for obvious reasons) - and it’s not carried in many cable line-ups either.

hmm…maybe they are going to turn into another “Nick”. They also had live action in it, and it was kewlz. By live action, I am referring to shows like “Are you Afraid of the Dark”, “All That”, etc…
I actually enjoyed those shows when I was a young wee lad. I think their success depends on the content of the live action.

Wow. I’m shocked. I can’t believe they are doing that. Are they gonna keep Adult Swim? I noticed something was going on with that stupid Brain Wash show. All that live action shows are killing me. I want sum cartoons dangit! That afraid of the dark thing is not working for me. If they want ratings they should just make it an all anime channel.:stuck_out_tongue:

This part made me laugh out loud.

Makes me wonder if these people running the station are just to old to know what kids want.

I concur with Dragoon in saying I’d rather have Boomerrang as it has most of those shows that made CN great all those years ago for me.

I got plenty of Anime in other places now give me the Cartoons of my youth and teen years.

[quote=miamibaby13]
If they want ratings they should just make it an all anime channel.:P[/quote]

Anime ratings are going downhill. If anything, Anime helped get Cartoon network in the trouble it’s been - lack of ratings, anime fans not supporting the shows LEGALLY, anime properties not having much monetization, merchandising, etc. due to fans. Why would advertisers give money to networks and stations when they are finding out a lot of anime fans are cheap? No money going in, means less good stuff, cartoons, anime coming out.

FL., because. Have to nod the head at what’s went down, yes anime DID effect AS. I think in two ways; gave the random audience the bird and the clingers no place to stand. Anime has been with it from the start. Um, no real discussion there. Been sitting there, the whole time.(oh those beer stocking days!) ON THE OTHER SIDE!!! Multiple exclamation points to do nothing but take up space moving around the states in the past roughly two years anime went from on top to “negative ratings” on that kiddie channel. To the point of the guys who were programming the anime in the first place were having jest “cards” running the screens. Showing polls where attendance was down in the anime hours. This post is too long, thoughts?

[quote=Psychopuppet]
I concur with Dragoon in saying I’d rather have Boomerang as it has most of those shows that made CN great all those years ago for me.

I got plenty of Anime in other places now give me the Cartoons of my youth and teen years.[/quote]

Maybe that is a factor, too. Content and advertisement are rly important. Does anyone here watch any of the new stuff? I only watch it when my cousins come over. Maybe they don’t need live shows, but more better content and advertising.

Part of the problem is that they look at the Cartoon next work as kids.
Personally I veiw Anime and show for the most part that I hope kids don’t watch. This also cause their advertisment to be off. In the middle of an ultra violent definitly male slanted show, why would they have an advertisement for my burping baby? Most of the other add had to do with pre-schooler toys and I am pretty sure their were even ads for femine products. Maybe if I had a kid seeing these ad might be worth it. More likely ads for Razor blades or deorderant. Cartoon Network had a chance to find the demograpic they had.
They blew it.

Remember I went to a convention a year ago where when of their program directors basically told me that I was not thier demographic. I don’t know many 12 years old that would stay up to 2am to watch a show.

I will be happy when they stop showing Amine, so I no longer will watch their network the same way I no longer watch G4, Fuse and Disney Channel.

[quote=Horrible]
I will be happy when they stop showing Amine, so I no longer will watch their network the same way I no longer watch G4, Fuse and Disney Channel.[/quote]

I hope you’re being sarcastic, or are you serious that you hope they stop showing Anime?

I do think CN at least deserves props for trying different programming than Nickelodeon or Disney. For the past 3-4 years all they have been doing is trying to mimick Nickelodeon, and they’ve been failing pretty epically at it. The reality shows are hardly original, but at least they are different than iCarly or Hannah Montana. The live action programming they tried before just sucked. At least iCarly is watchable. The live action shows CN tried were pure garbage, unoriginal, and poorly acted.

Disney has been able to make millions copying Nickelodeon, but there just isn’t room for three Nickelodeons, so I actually think reality programming may be better for CN in the long run. It may take a while to catch on though. And like all programming, not every show they launch will catch on. When FX switched formats a few years back, only one of it’s new shows remained after 1 season.

And sadly, I don’t think original shows will work for CN the way they worked for AMC. AMC launched higher caliber, brilliantly scripted and acted shows, while that just won’t work on a children’s network. Nickelodeon and Disney are dominated by children and teen comedies. Anytime they have tried more serious programming, like Animorphs for instance, they’ve failed. And in the comedy department, I think CN will just have too much competition.

I’m not even going to address the question of an all anime channel, because it’s been proven repeatedly that there aren’t enough ratings out there. TAN killed it’s 24 hour channel, and the Funimation linear channel has been a financial drain and has even less carrier support than 24 hour TAN. And without ratings, you’ve got no financial support from advertisers.

Call it The Toonless Network. Because they wouldn’t be running all cartoons, and no one will be tuning in for the other stuff.

I think CN’s problem is they saw that people were watching this… umm, crap… they run during Adult Swim that’s been made on a smaller budget than an elementary school play and thinking they can adapt that same format to some child-friendly programming - with the result being poor writing, bad acting, and no viewers. Nick and Disney have proved that you can get viewers if you spend the money to make quality programming, especially with Disney making a lot of it’s actresses into all around marketing champions. I mean I blogged about Miley Cyrus the other day because I walked into Wal-mart and see they have a line of juniors clothes styled by her (on top of the girls’ stuff with Hannah Montana on it), then I walk by a rack of DVDs that’s next to belts and purses, then a dump bin of Hannah Montana cereal between that and the lingerie department. I was afraid to look at the racks of underwear, expecting to see panties with her face on them too. And I didn’t even get near the toy department or the CD department.

Now if CN wanted to find someone and push her on us all like that… maybe they could go along for the ride and make some money too. But it takes money to make money, and when you cheap out, you get crap no one watches unless you’re stoned or drunk at 2:00 AM and too out of it to change the channel. Stuff that makes it on the air because one guy with an actual Nielsen box on his TV, is watching it.

I don’t remember an FX format switch, but I remember TNN becoming Spike. FX has been movies, reruns of Fox stuff, and some good original programming.

Why does everything need to have everything now, Sci-Fi can’t just be Sci-Fi stuff, Cartoon Network is showing REALITY shows, Court tv went reality shows, Speed Channel has a show about tow truck drivers, A&E has forgotten what the A&E stand for(mainly the A) G4 has forgotten what the G stands for, MTV just shows reality shows all day.

I SWEAR TO ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN I WILL DESTROY REALITY SHOWS!!!

CN needs to step up in their scheduling department. They really don’t have anything for 3-4 year olds in the morning. I had to watch my 3 year old nephew today. Luckly, he likes ed, edd and eddie, teen titans and the other programs on today. When my 3 year old niece is over, they have nothing for her. They need to have programs on during the day that non-school age children can watch. They also need more shows for little girls.
Their live action stuff is the worst of the three big kids networks. They need to stop worrying about skimping on their animation, stop their live action stuff, and go with what works. Here is a list:
Teen Titans
Ben Ten
ED, Edd and Eddie
Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends
Billy and Mandy
These shows all did well, and all made money. They stopped producing these shows due to production costs and their belief that they needed to go in a new direction, but it didn’t work. Why worry about competing with Disney and Nickelodeon? They have been around for decades(Disney for around 80 years) and would be hard to compete with in any market. They are still making a nice chunk of change, but greed has set in. They need to make more, and will do anything to do that. I personally think they will see the light soon, and start to market more cartoons. One way to do that, Laugh-a-lympics, Tom and Jerry, etc… Start showing the older cartoons that are on Boomerang. My nieces and nephews love all of that stuff. It doesn’t get old.

Slick

The magic 8-ball says: try again.

Hear that…I mean read that CN, try again.

[quote=slickwolfie]
CN needs to step up in their scheduling department. They really don’t have anything for 3-4 year olds in the morning. I had to watch my 3 year old nephew today. Luckily, he likes ed, edd and eddie, teen titans and the other programs on today. When my 3 year old niece is over, they have nothing for her. They need to have programs on during the day that non-school age children can watch. They also need more shows for little girls.
Their live action stuff is the worst of the three big kids networks. They need to stop worrying about skimping on their animation, stop their live action stuff, and go with what works. Here is a list:
Teen Titans
Ben Ten
ED, Edd and Eddie
Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends
Billy and Mandy
These shows all did well, and all made money. They stopped producing these shows due to production costs and their belief that they needed to go in a new direction, but it didn’t work. Why worry about competing with Disney and Nickelodeon? They have been around for decades(Disney for around 80 years) and would be hard to compete with in any market. They are still making a nice chunk of change, but greed has set in. They need to make more, and will do anything to do that. I personally think they will see the light soon, and start to market more cartoons. One way to do that, Laugh-a-lympics, Tom and Jerry, etc… Start showing the older cartoons that are on Boomerang. My nieces and nephews love all of that stuff. It doesn’t get old.

Slick[/quote]

I could totally go for seeing some Johnny Quest again. Oh man, I would drop everything to watch that.

Great article. I have never been a great fan of reality shows and I was really disappointed to see them pop up on Cartoon Network. I even find some of their newer original toons pretty lame. Yes, Boomerang is definately the better of the two, but I would love to see more anime (somehwere - anywhere) on TV. A 24/7 channel would be awesome. I have heard good things about the Funimation Channel, but my cable company doesn’t carry it. I have asked for it and would even pay a fee to get it, but it seems that the higher ups don’t believe that there is a market. They should take a good hard look at sales figues and convention attendance!

Then again, if I had a 24/7 anime channel on my TV - I would never leave the house!! :laugh:

Im dissipointed in CN they had thrown away all the shows that made it unique. A stupid move on there part for makeing reality shows on a CARTOON BASED CHANNEL. Give it time CN will no longer be, it will change to CN REAL and all those toons will be looking for a new home, and as for Adult Swim I have no clue what will happen.

[quote=DrGrumblen]
Im dissipointed in CN they had thrown away all the shows that made it unique. A stupid move on there part for makeing reality shows on a CARTOON BASED CHANNEL. Give it time CN will no longer be, it will change to CN REAL and all those toons will be looking for a new home, and as for Adult Swim I have no clue what will happen.[/quote]

AS will continue to exist in its own space.