AN Forums

Cartoon Network Gambles on Live Action

Yes, the AS people live in their own little world, too. lol -

I’m a pretty simple person. If you call your channel Cartoon Network you should show mostly cartoons/animation. From the live action stuff I’ve seen it feels like they are trying be to like Nick. I Don’t like it myself.

[quote=rebecca12]
Call it The Toonless Network. Because they wouldn’t be running all cartoons, and no one will be tuning in for the other stuff.

I think CN’s problem is they saw that people were watching this… umm, crap… they run during Adult Swim that’s been made on a smaller budget than an elementary school play and thinking they can adapt that same format to some child-friendly programming - with the result being poor writing, bad acting, and no viewers. Nick and Disney have proved that you can get viewers if you spend the money to make quality programming, especially with Disney making a lot of it’s actresses into all around marketing champions. I mean I blogged about Miley Cyrus the other day because I walked into Wal-mart and see they have a line of juniors clothes styled by her (on top of the girls’ stuff with Hannah Montana on it), then I walk by a rack of DVDs that’s next to belts and purses, then a dump bin of Hannah Montana cereal between that and the lingerie department. I was afraid to look at the racks of underwear, expecting to see panties with her face on them too. And I didn’t even get near the toy department or the CD department.

Now if CN wanted to find someone and push her on us all like that… maybe they could go along for the ride and make some money too. But it takes money to make money, and when you cheap out, you get crap no one watches unless you’re stoned or drunk at 2:00 AM and too out of it to change the channel. Stuff that makes it on the air because one guy with an actual Nielsen box on his TV, is watching it.

I don’t remember an FX format switch, but I remember TNN becoming Spike. FX has been movies, reruns of Fox stuff, and some good original programming.[/quote]

When FX first came on, their entire daytime lineup was original programming. It included a rip off of Antiques Roadshow, and lots of similar fair. After they dumped all that, they started airing reruns of King of the Hill, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and X-Files, as well as movies. Like Spike, they took a few tries and a couple years before finding something that worked. I remember when The Nashville Network became The National Network, and tried a general programming lineup that failed miserably, before becoming Spike.

But I don’t think CN could succeed into making their stars into multi-media successes the way Disney has. Even Nick hasn’t been able to do that. In fact, that’s probably about the only area that Disney has been able to beat Nick.

If CN really wants to succeed, they need to find something different. They can’t just copy what works on Nickelodeon, and hope it works for them. They need to find something original that appeals to the current audience and allows to build on it. So far, Cartoon Network has failed at even keeping it’s current audience.

YEAH! This is the program that the target audience of 9-14 year olds have been needing for a long time. Lets go set cars on fire to see what happens!

The person in charge of this stuff needs to be taken in for some serious psychological examination and treatment.

At least in cartoons, and anime you have the children wielding god-like powers, magic, and quantum phase laser rifles to kill other people…not real life things that kids today could get their hands on and try, but Gundams that don’t exist and kids wouldn’t have access to so no harm could come.

You know, that is why Naruto was removed from late night because it was too violent, so lets have kids learning by other kids how to set things on fire, and make bombs.

:S

We must not have ever gotten FX until after it was all Buffy and X-files reruns.

I vaguely remember The National Network, but thought it was sort of a transitional thing between TNN and Spike so they could change the programming but it would still show under TNN in the TV Guide and so on.

As for CN, you ever wonder how it is people graduate school, get hired by a company, start working, and somehow all they can manage to do is copy someone else badly and fail miserably? Makes you wonder if either they’re hiring idiots, or the work environment is like in the Dilbert comic where the bosses are idiots and there’s no point to offering new ideas.

[quote=rebecca12]
We must not have ever gotten FX until after it was all Buffy and X-files reruns.

I vaguely remember The National Network, but thought it was sort of a transitional thing between TNN and Spike so they could change the programming but it would still show under TNN in the TV Guide and so on.

As for CN, you ever wonder how it is people graduate school, get hired by a company, start working, and somehow all they can manage to do is copy someone else badly and fail miserably? Makes you wonder if either they’re hiring idiots, or the work environment is like in the Dilbert comic where the bosses are idiots and there’s no point to offering new ideas.[/quote]

Rarely do execs come up with good ideas. It’s usually their employees and even then it’s sometime by accident. But all of this is a moot point because CN gave anime a chance. Anime fans didn’t speak with their wallet so almost all anime got cut. Had we bought and watched, anime would have been on that network full force.

CN simply doesn’t know what to do with itself. It’s a network that’s been in search of an identity for nearly a decade now and still hasn’t found it. It wants to be up there with Nick and Disney, but no matter what they try they always wind up in last place.

Remember when Toonami occupied a big chunk of weekday block? It’s banishment to Saturday night was the result of the network’s attempt to grab the highly-prized 6-11 year old demographic that advertisers on CN really desire the most–Toonami was bringing in good ratings, but it was the wrong kind of good ratings, as Toonami tended to skew towards a slightly older demographic–the kind that doesn’t buy the things 6-11 year olds do. Eventually, Toonami was reduced down to just Naruto, and while the ratings were still good (even during the filler arc)–it still was brining in the older demographic that CN didn’t want for that timeslot.

Live action is CN’s Hail Mary, their big attempt to directly challenge Nick and Disney–and it’s been pretty much a dismal failure so far. Still, they’re going to stick it out with live action in the hopes that things will turn around. They’re hanging the network’s future on live action, so there is an almost sink or swim mentality going on there, IMO…

[quote=Lord_Shameless]
They’re hanging the network’s future on live action, so there is an almost sink or swim mentality going on there, IMO.[/quote]

To be fair, it doesn’t even have to be like that.

[quote=blakdragon7]

[quote=Lord_Shameless]
They’re hanging the network’s future on live action, so there is an almost sink or swim mentality going on there, IMO.[/quote]

To be fair, it doesn’t even have to be like that.[/quote]

That’s true, but ever since CN decided they wanted to compete with Nick and Disney route, they figure that live action is the way to go since it works for Nick and Disney. IIRC, at their recent upfront presentation, CN was really pushing their CN Real block and announced a couple of new live action projects in the works…

[quote=Lord_Shameless]

[quote=blakdragon7]

[quote=Lord_Shameless]

To be fair, it doesn’t even have to be like that.[/quote]

That’s true, but ever since CN decided they wanted to compete with Nick and Disney route, they figure that live action is the way to go since it works for Nick and Disney. IIRC, at their recent upfront presentation, CN was really pushing their CN Real block and announced a couple of new live action projects in the works…[/quote]

I guess they are just hoping and pleading that kids like this sh*t.

My opinion on kids tastes aren’t high… case in point, TDI being wildly popular. :stuck_out_tongue:

I liked TDI, I thought it was a pretty good parody of reality shows, unfortunantly Cartoon Network took it and is dragging it as far as they can, I do think I heard TDA is flopping so don’t worry Dragoon.

But I continue, please flop CN Real, please flop

mita lol that’s good to hear. I’m not actually sure if I’ve seen TDA yet, every time I’m channel surfing I come across TDI instead.

[quote=Zakuace]
I could totally go for seeing some Johnny Quest again. Oh man, I would drop everything to watch that.[/quote]

:ohmy: noooo…Johnny Bravo pwns!!! (do they even show that anymore?)

dragoon wrote:

You mean Total Drama Island (or so google says)?I watched a bunch of episode swhen I was in the laundromat with my cousin and her boyfriend. Perhaps it was because I was really bored, but I enjoyed it. It was actually pretty good lol. Very funny too. And it’s pretty risque for some random kid show, or am I just noticing things kids would never get anyway? It’s not worth setting time aside for it, but the very few times I was bored and saw it on TV at home I watched and was not disapointed. I think they were on to something with that show. Sadly I don’t think Live Action is going to help them. They need to find their own thing, not copy everyone elses stuff. Plus when I was a little kid I found the live action stuff on Nick and Disney mostly stupid and cheesey anyway (minus really good stuff like “Are you Afraid of the Dark” of course). Animated stuff was always the way to go :wink: . But I guess kids these days like that stuff more, and it’s working for disney and nick. But I can’t see it working for CN…