Defiance

Defiance - coming to Syfy in April

*Plot Summary -
Defiance is an upcoming American science fiction television series which is being developed for television by Rockne S. O’Bannon. The series is being produced in collaboration with Trion Worlds who are producing a Defiance MMO video game which will be connected to the series. Defiance stars Grant Bowler as Jeb Nolan, the local lawman in a refugee camp known as Defiance.

The series is set in the near future, where aliens known collectively as Votans have come to Earth seeking a new home after their star system was destroyed. However, upon reaching Earth they found that they were not welcome. The Votans waited in orbit for six years as prolonged negotiations with Earth governments for settlement on the planet ultimately proved fruitless. With supplies on their ships running low, eventually in desperation the Votans began a war with humans to force the issue and make Earth their new home. During the war, Votan ships shot down by human militaries accidentally released terraformer technology, which made haphazard and radical changes to the biosphere and even the geology of Earth, making the planet dangerous to both humans and the aliens. The earth was scorched, chasms opened in the ground, and the surface of the planet was covered with dust and debris. After decades of war, both sides had fought to the point of mutual exhaustion, and a ceasefire was declared. Few organized governments remained for either the humans or the aliens, and both sides factionalized as their members began looking out for themselves. In several areas, local human and Votan militias began to band together when they realized that they had to cooperate if they hoped to survive on this new, almost alien planet.

The series largely revolves around the character of Jeb Nolan. Jeb was only ten years old when the Votans arrived and he served in the military during the war. With the war now over, he returns to his hometown of St. Louis to find that it is no longer the city he left; it is little more than a refugee camp renamed “Defiance.” Deciding that his services are needed, Jeb takes up a position as the Chief Lawkeeper in Defiance, so he can protect the town from dangerous clashes between humans and aliens, military scavengers and other dangerous visitors who occasionally enter the town.(from Wiki)*

April 15th is when it debuts.

The actors displayed in that promo ad look much better than do the character models in the tie-in video game for this show that Steam was hyping for a while.

The Steam ads actually deterred me from watching the show to this point. Marketing failure.

Syfy has been in a ratings slump lately but Defiance has helped things out. Glad to see it continuing. I’ve been enjoying this.

Syfy is its own worst enemy. Their problems are wholly self-inflicted. They have had so many great shows that they simply ruined, or never gave a decent chance. I would say that the Battlestar Galactica reboot was the only they DIDN’T ruin, but they trashed the prequel Caprica. The name change did NOT help matters one bit.
Farscape
Lexx
Andromeda
Invisible Man
Eureka
Painkiller Jane
Stargate: Atlantis
Stargate Universe
Sanctuary
Warehouse 13

One show after another driven into the ground. If they trash Haven, I am finished with the network. I’ll even pass on Defiance; which hasn’t lived up to the hype, as far as I can tell.

[quote=“Capt_Hitsugaiya” post=142117]Syfy is its own worst enemy. Their problems are wholly self-inflicted. They have had so many great shows that they simply ruined, or never gave a decent chance. I would say that the Battlestar Galactica reboot was the only they DIDN’T ruin, but they trashed the prequel Caprica. The name change did NOT help matters one bit.
Farscape
Lexx
Andromeda
Invisible Man
Eureka
Painkiller Jane
Stargate: Atlantis
Stargate Universe
Sanctuary
Warehouse 13

One show after another driven into the ground. If they trash Haven, I am finished with the network. I’ll even pass on Defiance; which hasn’t lived up to the hype, as far as I can tell.[/quote]

I would disagree with the Battlestar Galactica reboot. They ruined that. They turned it into a show that would have been a better fit on HBO, though HBO would have come up with a more competent plot & produced a wholly superior show (based on their recent fare).

Caprica was crap. No argument there. Not even being endorsed on The Big Bang Theory could save that from being garbage. How anyone thought that the destruction of humanity being brought about by the angst of a spoiled 1%'er teenage girl made for a good premise baffles me. How those awful, almost worse-than-anime CG effects that were heavily used in Caprica were greenlit is also a mystery.

The movies that “concluded” Farscape completely ruined it. They did not need to happen.

“SyFy” should have picked up Firefly when they had the chance. They vetoed it because they wanted to do “original programming”. I think we’ve seen that they really can’t do original programming that doesn’t suck. Anything that even starts to be good is given a non-nonsensical crap ending (Farscape) or is canceled abruptly.

[quote=“Snowy Stampede” post=142113]

Syfy has been in a ratings slump lately but Defiance has helped things out. Glad to see it continuing. I’ve been enjoying this.[/quote]

Happy to see this renewed as well. Although to me -

Datak Tarr looks like Data and that bartender looks a lot like Neelix from Star Trek. Funny!

Surely they’re going in the wrong direction. Deep South Paranormal blew up in their face hard. That was partly to explain for this recent decline. Indeed Caprica at the time was a painful loss. Alphas had low ratings.

On Topic:

@Wicca: I thought they looked oddly familiar. lol

Wah…wah…wah…so SyFy cancelled shows. Big whopty doo. So do other channels: Fox cancelled Firefly and Dollhouse - guess anything Whedon is an acquired taste; NBC axed V…and those had a much more generous budget behind them than say something on SyFy.

It all come down to ratings vs. production costs. And for a niche station like SyFy, that means everything, that’s why u see more reality type shows and wrestling on there - cheap to acquire and make.

NBC axed V almost 30 years ago. The V (with Morena Baccarin) that got the chop in mid-season was on ABC. At least NBC allowed the producers to develop a wrap-up miniseries.

tonka, Sci-Fi was ALWAYS a niche network. It was never a stand-alone network. It is part of the NBC/Universal family. Most of the shows had good ratings, for a niche network. Do they expect a show must get a 15 share to remain viable?! This isn’t NBC or Fox. Game of Thrones can’t crack the Nielsen top 30, but HBO isn’t planning on killing it any time soon.

Ask Matt: Is It a Crime to Be in an Older Demographic? (Defiance)

October 17, 2017 9:31 am