Forest's Sketches

This girl gave me a handrawn Valentine and I felt bad because I wasn’t expecting it so I had draw we one to so that it would be an equal transaction of sorts. A valentine of friendship I guess. Happy late Valentine’s Day!

3 Likes

That would be the best Valentine ever. How cute! :heart:️:yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart:

1 Like

So I had been showing all of my most recent drawings to my friends and all of a sudden one of them jumps up all excitedly and says “you should draw me!” And my first reaction was “hell no!” Because I know from experience that drawing people you actually know doesn’t usually turn out very well. Especially if you’re not very good at it. But she was persistent and I think I’ve been getting better lately so I drew it. And it surprisingly came out really well and she likes it and I like it and it actually mostly resembles her. But a word of warning to any artist, likenesses are tricky business and are not to be taken lightly! But I digress.

5 Likes

A friend of mine has recently been in the hospital so I drew this for her.

5 Likes

Well you have done nothing but improve on your art skills there, Forest. Wow, those charcoal pieces are amazing, kudos!

3 Likes

I recently had to read Therese Raquin in English class and it’s an absolutely horrid novel in my opinion but it still managed to inspire me to draw Therese how I imagine her to look, especially toward the end of the novel. Upset, angry and insane.

3 Likes

When you stare at the image, your focus goes straight to the eyes. It really tells the whole story of those character traits you described.

Impressive. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

A birthday card I made for my friend. I thought it was cute enough to be worth posting.

4 Likes

Anyone would be happy to get a card like that!

2 Likes

This one didn’t turn out as good as I wanted it to. I don’t know what it is about it, it just doesn’t look right

3 Likes

Well I’m still very impressed. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yea, I think it looks just fine Forest. All of them were good works, thanks for sharing. So when ya gonna start your own graphic novel? :wink:

I wish I had enough patience to draw a graphic novel. Alas I do not. Nor do I have the ability of drawing the same character repeatedly and making it look like the same person. I honestly have not been able to figure out how cartoonists do that.

4 Likes

My son, with the Graphic Arts Degree, would tell you that it takes practice and patience in huge quantities to be able to do consistent cartoon work. He can do it, but it took him literal years of practice.

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes

Butt load of practice. Basically, that’s all they do. I read a few web comics where you can see the progression they make in being able to do that if you read it from the beginning.

2 Likes

Well anything worth doing takes practice. Which is why I’m going to keep practicing portrait drawing because I enjoy it. I’ve gotten better at it. My drawings still don’t look like the reference photo but they do look like someone. I tried to draw a man this time because I always do women. If you look at the drawing itself it looks perfectly decent. If you knew who it was supposed to be you would see it as a failure because it looks nothing like him. So I’m not going to tell you.

4 Likes

Right after I said I was going to keep doing portraits, I drew some anime! Anyone recognize her? There can’t be too many characters with one red eye and one green eye running around.

3 Likes

Is that Mei Misaki from Another? :slightly_smiling_face: Impressive work.

1 Like

Yay! You win! Whats your favorite anime character?

2 Likes

Popped into my head in an instant. :smile:

As for favorite anime character, that would normally be a tough question but I have one that really sticks out to me right now and that’s Natsume from Natsume’s Book of Friends.