Funimation News

I remember racing home to see this one in the afternoons in 1970 - 71.

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes

I remember re-watching this, or at least trying to, within the last couple of years andā€¦

nope.

Another case of a show not holding up in my book, so Iā€™ll pass.

:wink:

just Grimgar and 7 Sins for me; kinda surprised Sins ainā€™t getting the collectors red carpet.
What Funi, canā€™t afford it, what with all those simuldubs and SAVE editions?

They do have a LOT of balls in the air, donā€™t they? I noticed that a fair number of not-too-old titles are being put out as SAVE editions. Lots of $ tied up, for sure.

Mark Gosdin

Like I said earlier, if it had included Mach Go Go Go as well, Speed Racer would have been a buy, just for the historical value.

Edit: I think the reason quite a few titles have been hitting the SAVE editions fairly quickly is that Funi needs to generate some Capital, to cover their expenses. Like Iā€™ve said before if they have a string of poorly selling titles, or oversaturate the market with releases ( everyone remember that they released 35 titles in November of last year?) They could have a backlash that they may not recover from.

1 Like

Dubbletalk Episode 98 - ā€œEverything Goes to Hellā€

Dubbletalk Episode 98 - Question of the Week

Question of the Week:
ā€œWhat anime is CeeLo Green from and what are his super powers?ā€

@Series5Ranger your thinking dovetails with mine. Funimation has put a lot of money into higher $ new licenses, simuldubs and all those releases last year. So having series that might, under normal circumstances, have been re-licensed instead be allowed to expire could be a symptom of stress on the balance sheet.

Mark Gosdin

1 Like

Fitting title I must say. :smirk:

2 Likes

Yes, it is. :smiling_imp:

Mark Gosdin

2 Likes

@mgosdin you want to know whatā€™s really telling? How did Anchor Bay get the Blu-Ray rights to the Ghost in the Shell Movie and Season 1 and 2 of Stand Alone Complex. Funi only got the rights to the follow up movie (Innocence) , which is considered the weakest of the lot.

1 Like

Oh Iā€™m sure Anchor Bay came to the negotiating table with a ā€œBig olā€™ Bag oā€™ Yenā€, Funimation didnā€™t have quite so much. :smirk:

Mark Gosdin

1 Like

Nobunagun ā€“ Complete Series ā€“ Available Now on S.A.V.E.

The Mystic Archives of Dantalian ā€“ Available Now

Funimation appears to been hacked. Depending on how this hack happened, either they fixed it when the new site launch (Might be why I needed to reset my password when I was able to login today), or they didnā€™t know the data leaked, and now they need to fix how it happened. Also, boo to them for using a now crappy way of hashing passwords. At least during the time it happened.

1 Like

Oops. At least they made an effort to encrypt, unlike Sony.

On a side note, I noticed that AoAā€™s Asterisk War was dubbed with a traditionally Funi director (Chris Cason) and scriptwriter (Caitlin Glass). Much to my surprise, itā€™s nipping at the heels of the best stuff Funiā€™s dub department has been rolling out lately. It was kinda eerie lol.

Another reason to suspect that Funi might be spreading itself too thin? :cry:

Actually according to US Law if a firm gets hacked, they are legally obligated to inform everyone who has been affected by the hack. My take on the password resets were that they were accounts that hadnā€™t updated their passwords in a while or everyone had to when they switched to the new site, which isnā€™t unusual, when a site updates their encryption protocols.

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping the password reset was because they switched to a better hashing algorithm for passwords.

Again, thereā€™s no sign that Funimation knew about this attack, and itā€™s only because I have my e-mail on that site I linked I even knew about it. (I guess the data leak as put up yesterday)

1 Like

@miquelfire

Someone over at The Fandom Post had the same thing happen.

1 Like

5 Likes

Microsoft Anime Month, Feb 2017 - Episode 3: Sound Like a Super Saiyan

Back in my day, Microsoft didnā€™t have any Xbox videos besides ā€œMajor Nelsonā€ :wink:

ā€¦that video does further my suspicion that Funi is working way too fast nowadays. 9 studios, running 12 hours a day? ā€œEngineers work at blazing speedsā€¦ā€

2 Likes