Funimation News

And… they’re still not talking:

###Report: 2.5 Million Funimation Accounts Compromised in Data Breach
posted on 2017-02-22 20:30 EST
User names, dates of birth, email addresses, passwords exposed

1 Like

So between this breach and people out there not liking their app and website, 2017 is looking ugly for them. Time to fix this now.

Maybe they can “sublet” Crunchy’s tech? Make the FuniRoll link stronger?

I thought Funi had a better Android app, but I haven’t used either in a while so that might’ve changed too…until they blocked it after the reset, I was using the old (paid) Funi app.

Edit: Though I recalled seeing scuttlebutt over on ANN that Funi had canned & outsourced its tech team, turns out that <a href’=“http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4878077#4878077”>allegation was about Crunchy

###Funimation Comments on Website Data Breach
posted on 2017-02-24 13:45 EST
Funimation: passwords not viewable due to encryption

All’s good now it seems. :relieved:

I find their wording of how they handle some things a bit wrong. It seems for fixing the passwords (which I actually never got notified of, even though the site I linked did find my e-mail in the data) they requiring users to use stronger passwords, but they’re not saying if the HASHING (I hope it’s hashed) they’re using is stronger or not.

The data that was grab made people think they’re using sha-1. If that’s true (and not some random piece of data that is basically a salt for the real password hash that somehow wasn’t grabbed) Then they’re likely doing this with their code: [hash = sha1(password)] though they might have a salt involved, but if that’s all they’re doing, those bitcoin mining machines can brute force a few passwords in a day.

If the encrypt line is true, then if a hacker find the key, they’ll have plain text passwords.

1 Like

When it comes to data security I’ve said this before: “If someone competent wants your data, they have it, you don’t know they do and you will never know they do.”

Hacks like this are more of a “Show” than a serious attempt at data theft, not that the information they got won’t be used to mess people’s lives up. But, it seems more like the hackers really just want to thumb their noses at everyone.

Mark Gosdin

Unbreakable Machine-Doll – Available Now on S.A.V.E.

I’ve always subscribed to the philosophy is, If someone wants your data, they can get it, you just make it as difficult as possible so they target someone else instead.

1 Like

That’s what most of the data professionals I work with do. The problem is that making the data hard for hackers to get at also can make it hard for the people who need the data for legitimate purposes to get to it. Usually that causes the data security to break down because the people that work with the data regularly have an even bigger incentive to get into it.

As they used to say, “It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt.”

Mark Gosdin

1 Like

Wolf’s Rain – Official Opening – Stray

###Review: Sword of the Stranger (BD+DVD)
Feb 22nd 2017 / by Nick Creamer / ANN

Wolf’s Rain – Official Ending – Gravity

Dubbletalk Episode 99 - “Terrible Date”

Dubbletalk Episode 99 - Question of the Week

Question of the Week:
“If the Guinness Book of World Records were to award an anime with having the ‘longest of something’, what would it be?”

The Betrayal Knows My Name - Meeting My Destined One

The Betrayal Knows My Name – Available Now on DVD

###ANN Review: Wolf’s Rain BD+DVD - The Complete Series
by Jacob Chapman, Mar 1st 2017

Microsoft Anime Month, Feb 2017 - Episode 4: It’s So Hard to Say Goodbye

Dubbletalk Episode 100 - “It’s Our 100th Episode”

Dubbletalk Episode 100 - Question of the Week

Question of the Week:
“Add a word to a Studio Ghibli title to make a new film. What is it about?”

The Betrayal Knows My Name - Luka’s Power