Gintama

Gintama

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, science fiction
Themes: Aliens, historical, parody, Samurai
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Twenty years ago Edo-period Japan suffered a great cultural shock—the aliens called Amanto invaded the earth, overpowered the nation’s government, and outlawed the carrying of swords by the once proud samurai. Moreover, the aliens took the people’s jobs and are currently running Japan as a sweatshop using the natives as laborers. In this strange new era are Gintoki Sakata, an eccentric samurai whose personal trademarks are his naturally permed silver hair, his love of anything sweet, and his addiction to Shonen Jump; Shinpachi Shimura, the teenaged heir of the Kakido-Ryu style; and Kagura, an incredibly strong alien girl from the powerful Yato clan. The trio are self-employed in an odd jobs shop called Yoruzuya Gin-chan, which offers to do almost anything for a price, from finding lost kittens to saving the world. Unfortunately, the jobs rarely go as planned, or pay enough to cover the pain and suffering the employees encounter—never mind their rent.
Number of episodes: 201
Vintage: 2006-04-04 to 2010-03-25

ANN Info Page

Gintama’ 2

Genres: action, comedy, drama, science fiction
Themes: aliens, harem, parody, samurai, space
Plot Summary: Gintoki Sakata, Kagura, and Shinpachi Shimura continue to scrape together a living as the freelance jack-of-all-trades group Yorozuya in Edo while living among the several odd humans and aliens that inhabit the peculiar metropolis.
Number of episodes: 51
Vintage: 2011-04-04 to 2012-03-26

ANN Info Page

Gintama’ 3 / Gintama’ Enchōsen

Genres: action, comedy, drama, science fiction
Themes: Aliens, Historical, Parody, Samurai
Number of episodes: 13
Vintage: 2012-10-04 to 2013-03-28

ANN info page

Gintama 4

Genres: action, comedy, drama
Themes: Historical, Parody, Samurai
Number of Episodes: 40
Vintage: 2015-04-08

ANN info page

Gintama 5

Genres: comedy
Number of Episodes: 12
Vintage: 2017-01-08

ANN Info Page

Gintama 6

Genres: comedy
Number of episodes: 25
Vintage: 2017-10-01

ANN Info Page

Gintama 7

Number of episodes: 14
Vintage: 2018-07-08

ANN Info Page

3rd Year Class Z Ginpachi-Sensei / 3-Nen Z-Gumi Ginpachi-Sensei

Vintage: 2025

ANN Info Page

Gintama (OAV) - Vintage: 2004-12
Gintama: Shiroyasha Kōtan (special) - Vintage: 2008-09-21
Gintama The Movie - Vintage: 2010-04-24
Gintama-san on Theater 2D (movies) - Vintage: 2012-08-26
Gintama’ (special) - Vintage: 2015-04-03
Gintama: The Final Movie - Vintage: 2013-07-06
Gintama: The Final (movie) - Vintage: 2021-01-08
Gintama The Semi-Final (ONA) - Vintage: 2021-01-15
Gintama on Theater 2D: Baragaki-hen (movie) - Vintage: 2023-11-10
Gintama on Theater 2D: Ikkoku Keisei-hen (movie) - Vintage: 2024-06-21

Everyone should buy this show…(and the manga).

Been updating for a hour and 47 minutes now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you know any good trailers to the first season? All I can find are the movie trailers.

Everyone says this is a big show, so who am I to doubt them? I never heard of it before tho :stuck_out_tongue: (I think Zac mentioned it on their podcast…but that was it). What do you think about this Dragoon? Big pick up? Was this a great licenses for them (I mean you think it will sell well? It’s a very long show…)?

oooo…gintama, nice. very nice.

As I said in the other thread: It’s been a blockbuster manga seller and TV Tokyo’s largest property along with Naruto and Bleach.

This is Sentai’s biggest new title acquisition of the decade aside from Gurren Lagann and Devil May Cry.

In that sense Sentai Filmworks and Section23 have landed a big title to show the Japanese production companies they are very much in the game - which might be one of their main reasons to license this. A lot of industry insiders are shocked how Sentai was able to get it.

Regardless, Sentai and Section23 have certainly made a bold statement today. :slight_smile:

Now the question is will it match how big of a title this is on paper and translate to DVD sales… That no one knows. Especially since it’s been on CR, that does devalue the title a bit in terms of selling, and it remains to be seen how this will do sub-only without a TV deal to open up a new market of buyers.

Maybe because it was/is on CR and as you said, it’s devalued it’s DVD sales potential, Sentai/S23 prob got it for less than normaly expected. Hell, maybe CR is realizing their’s no real profit with their streaming experiment or the studios/production committees aren’t seeing the revenue they were hoping for that they’re falling back on the tried-n-tru formula for success - DVD’s.

So that being said, and if they did get it for less, it will do quite well for S/S23.
But that…is my opinion.

Let’s see, what else in on CR that they can get…hmmmmm…

wow this a huge pickup for S23. Bravo.

Yes I’ve already seen 140 or so episodes on CR, but I’ll watch them all again once they’re dubbed. =)

If their dubbed…which it doesn’t look like it.

You missed the point…

LOL Coffee, he always does (miss), doesn’t he? :wink:

Right now though Sentai and Section23 aren’t saying one way or the other on a dub or not, and they have not released the solicitations yet, unusually… Normally they do that at the afternoon hour but then they could be busy today. We’ll find out in the next few days. Given the price it has to be sub-only, unless they have a TV deal then it could be sold at that price to sell to the mainstream and B&M.

Well, as of right now, it’s listed as sub-only on RightStuf, and given that price, like you said, there’s really no other thing it could be.

awwwwwwww =/ oh well, as long as it’s cheap you should be able to sell it on sheer volume of material included.

Coffee ahh! I’ve been swamped all afternoon, looks like they just posted that 3 hrs go. Yep those are the retailer solicitations. So yeah, looks like it is sub-only unless otherwise stated. :frowning: Damn it, AS or Syfy need to get this and make a deal with Sentai. -_- Granted RSI’s listings have been wrong before, with some Sentai listings before, but … I’m fairly confident this is sub-only. I think if it had a dub they would have announced it on the press release, unless they are waiting to make a formal splash next week where Matt Greenfield will be attending a con. :slight_smile:

Is it me or I am wetarded

I watched a couple of eps of this series on CR and I don’t see anything special about this series. I am not hating just curious what is all the noise about section23 acquiring gintama?

I felt the same way about Clannad.

Personal opinion has nothing to do with hype? :wink:

Some people don’t like Naruto or Bleach or DBZ, but it doesn’t change the fact that those titles are driving the anime industry with sales and popularity. :wink: That’s one facet of the hype, the hype itself for a major title, the other is a lot of us Sentai/S23/ADV/Anime Network fans are hyped they got a monster title this big. Having titles like these open doors in business. This is the biggest game-changing moves to happen to Sentai/S23/ADV in years. It might flop, it might do very well for them, who knows - but that’s the nature of business… gotta take risks to get ahead.

You levave my clannad alone :slight_smile:

Well if it helps with Sentai/Section23 future business opportunities then I am all it

Woot Woot :smiley: