Gintama

I watched the first ep and I thought it was funny, too, sounds like I can watch the third one without losing much? The eps come and go from my VOD faster than I can keep up.

Ep. 4

spoiler

So they now show how Kagura joined the group. She is my favorite character so far. She is rather cute for how strong she is. Must be tough to be a member of a warrior race that does not always want to fight. They better get some jobs soon to cover the rent and Kagura food bill.

Episode 4 -

spoiler

Good to see how Kagura joined the guys. She has quite a background. It was sweet of Shinpachi to try to help her when Gintoki wouldnā€™t. All he was interested in was finding a copy of JUMP! It was funny when Kagura called Shinpachi a ā€œgood-for-nothingā€ when he couldnā€™t get her the helicopter she wanted.

At least Gintoki saved them from the train ā€“ even if he was only at the station to look for JUMP. And Kagura decides to stay and work for him. I liked how she ā€œpersuadesā€ him! Guess sheā€™s eating them out of house and home too. What happened to three bowls of rice a day? And now sheā€™s eating everything in Otoseā€™s Snack House too. How will they ever afford her appetite?

I agree with you ShawnMerrow - they need jobs! :lol:

episode 5

spoiler

i like the little segment they did at the end of episode 5ā€¦
ā€œitā€™s only smoking because im licking it so fastā€
man that sh*t is funny

Had been watching this while we had VOD, but decided to start using Online player instead, due to larger variety and more choices. Will Gintama ever be available for the Online player or strictly for VOD. I must say I found this show very funny and hope to see more of it without the need of VOD.

As of right now, AN does not have streaming rights for this anime, so they are only allowed to show it on the VOD channel.

Set Two just came in the mail. I loving Gintama as I though I would. Canā€™t wait for Collection 3 along with the parody episodes.

At ep. 8 this has to be one of the funniest series I have ever seen. :laugh:

Based on the clips of the Dragonball parodies, it will only get funnier.

Where is Collection 3?
400th post

Up my magic bunghole. :laughing: :smile:

Seriously this is looking like the same case as what happening with Glass Mask which weā€™ve still not gotten anything about where set two is. Eyeshield 21ā€™s third set should have been announced by now to. I have a bad feeling the three series did not do well. They were shown free on CR for a long time and two of them are still on there. With todays Mooches errr Anime Fans the shows donā€™t stand as great of chance as they should have.

I doubt we will hear more then ā€œneither confirm or denyā€.

A lot of anime fans really refuse to admit that GinTama is really a very niche series. It may be big in Japan, but it panders quite heavily to Japanese culture and hard core anime fans. It really has no appeal outside very hard core fans. Toss in the fact that sites like ANN and Mania gave it very poor reviews due to the slow pace of the earlier episodes and niche jokes. It didnā€™t stand too much of a chance.

Sentai had said they had acquired the first couple seasons of GinTama and had the first several sets already scheduled. The fact that they havenā€™t announced set 3 suggests that Season 1 really underperformed, and they might be dropping the show. Apparently, at a recent con some reps said ā€œto be patientā€, so it may just be held up for some reason. Itā€™s really hard to say right now. But if they have dropped it, its very unlikely we will get any official confirmation on that subject, especially with Sentai rarely holding panels and Q&Aā€™s anymore.

If they gave up on the show, Iā€™m sure they have their reasons. I would rather have them save the money and pick up shows they can profit on, rather than continue to release a cash drain so it can be complete.

Maybe thatā€™s true but wouldnā€™t they just solicit what they have already just to be done with it? It seems a lot of the dubbed shows have higher priority now(the new dubs along with the dubbed the first time around shows). Wouldnā€™t it be a bigger gamble(the shows with initial dubs) on those than just a subbed only set?

Possibly. But if Gintama really hasnā€™t been doing very well, then they already have a pretty good idea how the next sets will do. Also, very few companies have the experience that Ledford and Company do when it comes to what will sell and what wonā€™t. In this case, they may be further ahead to just cut their losses at Season 1.

However, someone asked about it on Sentaiā€™s Wiki site, and the response was ā€œJust be patientā€.

Yea I saw the Twitter post. Which is why Iā€™m thinking they want to get the Dubbed sets out first and then worry about the subbed only stuff. If Gintama isnā€™t putting up big numbers that would be a good strategy to get out stuff that might possibly sell higher just because it has a dub. Iā€™m thinking that Sentai could have done a good comedy dub off Gintama because all the references really arenā€™t that far out there. The onscreen visual aids help a lot too.

Yeah, thatā€™s entirely possible. The next several months lead up into the Holiday Sales season, so theyā€™re probably going to put out their bigger titles then, as well as the most dubbed sets to maximize sales and returns.

It could also mean something else entirely. Sentai is always full of surprises, so itā€™s hard to say.

So, after 10 episodes of this, Iā€™ve come to the conclusion:

The only thing even remotely appealing about this series for me is the really catchy OP song (which will probably change soon).
Iā€™m not going to drop it yet, as Iā€™ll finish up what ever they decide to air on TAN, but if they never finish it, Iā€™ll definitely not be terribly heartbroken about it.

Iā€™ve enjoyed it enough. I donā€™t think itā€™s anything great though. But I keep hearing you need to get about 25 or so episodes into it before it gets really good. shrugs

While I had VOD I had watched the episodes that popped up here and there. Iā€™m not much of a hardcore anime fan myself, though I do love me some anime. I did find this series rather funny for the 8 or so episodes I got into it. I thought it was rather funny, even though I didnā€™t understand quite a few of the references, I would normally just use context or the subs to tell me what it meant and iā€™d normally get a laugh or two out of it. Would be a shame to see it not finish, but I canā€™t say it would be a good show to waste time dubbing. Especially sense there are all of those references which couldnā€™t really be explained outside of subs.

Itā€™s actually in the end game more expensive to put out DVDā€™s then take the loss of not finishing a series. If they have dropped the three series it only means theyā€™ve learned from the old ADV era and are getting pleasing fans can not be top priority. I believe most of the reason we are seeing dubs is its not just them paying for them. Itā€™s several different companies.

I said to dragoon when they announced Glass Mask , Gintama , and Eyeshield 21 while I was glad they got licensed I did not think they were good ideaā€™s for DVD releases. For filler for the VOD yeah ,but DVD not so much.

Letā€™s face it the world wants the MOE. :laugh: