Halo Legends

Really? Details please on how you sold it due to that. :smiley:

They just asked about it, because they hadn’t heard much about it. I told them it was similar to the Animatrix, as in it was done by multiple Japanese studios. I knew she was a big anime fan, as she use to shop with us frequently, so I mentioned that ADV had done the dubbing work on it and mentioned some of the VA’s in it. She heard Lucy Christian and Chris Patton and she was sold! LOL

I hope she enjoys it.

LOL, fun story. :slight_smile:

It’s hard to say how well this is doing so early on. So far things look pretty optimistic. Based on my research throughout sites, forums, twitter… the amount of discussion is a lot bigger than I’m used to seeing.

Warner’s aggressive ad campaign is huge though. I don’t remember seeing an anime get so much promotion, TV spots, VOD spots, in a long time.

Halo has certainly been a driving factor on my site, site hits and story clicks always are up or go up with a Halo Legends story, like 3-10x higher with Halo than my regular other stories.

Cody: Luci Christian, it’s an “i” lol :P. Anyway NICE JOB! See ADVs dubs still have street cred. Like I always say, they’ve had some of the best dubs ever made, and their studio has always been the best ADR studio in the country as far back as I remember. Nice too see others still love their work.

I have yet to find even a below average dub that their houston studio has put out. Uhhh…? Nope…Can’t find one even kinda bad dub from them. Can’t say the same about ANY other studio out there. New York’s had stinkers, London has had some poorer dubs, LA. has some major problems now and again, Funi can really do a sucker when they feel bored, and some of Ocean’s older dubs aren’t the best (but I can’t say they are really bad. But I haven’t heard many from them…). But ADV’s main studio…always been top notch.

I couldn’t agree with you more there. ADV is the only studio that I can say hasn’t put out a dub so bad that it forced me to switch over the subtitles. I really hope we get to hear some more from them in the future.

Speaking of which, I found it rather amusing that, when I was watching Jinki: Extend on the FUNi online player, almost every ad was a Halo Legends ad.

LOL. When was that, last week?

Yeah, somewhere around last Sunday or Monday (Feb. 7/8).

The Music of Halo Legends**

I was gonna write a feature/review on this but G4 did a really great job that I probably won’t now.

Full Review: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/702045/halo-legends-soundtrack-review.html

I’ll focus on the JP music since most here either know of Halo’s awesome music (by the american composers already), they had one linked with the US theme, but that’s re-used material for the most part from the games.

New Halo music from Japanese composers:

True Arbiter: http://g4tv.com/videos/43872/Halo-Legends-Soundtrack-True-Arbiter/

True Arbiter - composed by Yasuharu Takanashi (composer of music for Hell Girl, New Fist of the North Star and Naruto)

I can definitely hear the Japanese traditional style of the track, very Naruto-like and certainly Japanese with the shakuhachi. This is used in the Production IG episode, The Duel. I thought this was a great piece that worked perfectly for the particular episode.

Exit Window: http://g4tv.com/videos/43873/Halo-Legends-Soundtrack-Exit-Window/

I didn’t like this piece, it’s used in the action episode, The Package. The piece itself is fine, and everything in the orchestra sounds pretty good, except the brass sounds so fake and cheap sounding and doesn’t have the cinematic power we are used to hearing. This is certainly an area where american composers and hollywood talents shine over anywhere in the world for this kind of epic sound - in this case, I found it lacking. Fine in context and suitable, but could have been much better.

Listen to the upcoming Halo Reach trailer 2 (wait to the end parts) - that’s how cinematic is done. :wink: (The part at 1:45 to the end of the Reach trailer is awesome!)

Update: Halo Legends debuts at #2 Top US Blu-Ray, #4 Top US DVD, top #7 JP animated Blu-ray!

Full Story

I can’t remember the last time an anime went up that high before. It looks like a bunch of us here who bought it helped rocket it up. :slight_smile: Hopefully, it did really well in terms of #'s.

Take that Dante’s Inferno! LOL

Have you watched the first episode or two of Halo yet? If so…

The Halos obliterated that other thing. :wink:

LOL

Cool. Good for Anime I guess. I just picked up my copy today. By the way I got into Halo with third one really just cause my nephew had a copy and borrowed it. Had a hard time putting it down.

Did Ani-Matrix help anime, Batman Gothum Knight, Dead Space Extraction? No, the only time anime can get big is if it something like this. Still I congrats Serapham for being the ones to get the deal.

That’s hard to gauge. But your question is a valid one in terms of super mainstream stuff only creating fans that are interested in that specific title, just like the promise of DB fans or most Naruto fans never expanded beyond their base and became other anime fans. However, given how large these numbers are, even if a little do… every little bit of new fans we can get, helps. :slight_smile:

But only if they actually BUY STUFF!!! LOL

I finished watching this the other night and it was pretty decent. The dub was solid and for me was the best part. It was great to hear Shelley Black in a new dub. I also found that the “gag segment” that has been panned many other places was actually one of the more enjoyable ones for me.

They do a lot more than their anime counterparts in terms of buying and supporting what they like. :smiley:

Surprised you ended up liking the Toei episode, that was my least favorite but admittedly I’m not into Dragon Ball. I didn’t think you’d like that one if I had to guess. Did you like the Production IG or Bones episodes?

I think that’s one of the pluses of Halo Legends, everyone’s going to react to each episode differently and find something to like in at least somethings.

I enjoyed the Production IG one, though I have to say the animation was certainly an interesting choice. It certainly made it stand out though.

I actually nodded off during the Studio Bones segment, so I only saw bits and pieces of it. I was really tired when I tried to watch this, but I will probably try it again this weekend.

Halo Legends second week sales numbers overall #10 DVD best seller, overall sales #16

Full Story

As to be expected, especially with the drop off in advertising after the prelaunch/launch week, and most fans getting it immediately, Halo Legends drops from 4 to 10 on DVD, and from #2 Blu-ray to out of the Top 20. Overall top seller at #16. Still excellent numbers when you consider this is a game/anime adaptation.

To be deleted later on -> follow to next page