High School of the Dead / Gakuen Mokushiroku

:cheer: Just watched this a couple hours ago and reall enjoyed it. Love me some bloody action!

Watched ep 4, and yeah I can tell it’s a Steven Foster dub by the amount of swearing added.

YOU’RE NOT EDGY OR FUNNY, IT’S UNNECESSARY, STOP IT.

Have to agree that the swearing went overboard.

Ep. 5

Curse you, Stephen Foster, and your sophomoric-no, infantile-fascination with expletives! You threw away the most iconic line of the entire series for a lackluster “f-bomb” that was totally out of character for Hirano. I will get this series but this may be the first time I will deliberately ignore the English dub for the original Japanese soundtrack.

I’m trying to think of a polite way to respond to some of the comments in this thread, but I really can’t think of one. I will say that I’m extremely disappointed in some of the posters. While you may not agree with a certain artistic direction, it’s no reason to resort to name calling or insults. Also, don’t forget that the Japanese sign off on the translation and scripts before production of the dub starts.

Personally, I don’t find the swearing going overboard. I will say that due to the fields I work in, I’m very use to a large amount of foul language, so it’s nothing unusual to me. And I know if I were fighting for survival in a zombie apocalypse I would be cursing a lot, as would most people I know.

Honestly, I’ve been considering giving up anime as a hobby permanently, as the constant whining that comes from all sides no matter what is done is part of the reason. People get dubs they whine because the person they wanted didn’t get cast. They don’t get dubs, they complain because they don’t like subs. People cried about high prices, but when they got cheaper prices, they complain because of cheaper packaging. They get nicer DVD sets, they complain because the prices are higher. People even go as far as to complain about the color of subs, the layouts of menus, the color of DVD cases, the fonts on the packaging, the way the credits are done, etc. I’m just tired of it.

I can deal with honest and though out criticisms, like “_____'s voice seems a little old for the character, but her performance was still good”. But jumping down people’s throats, throwing out insults and calling names has become so common place that I’m completely disgusted with a large portion of anime fandom. As much as I enjoy the product itself, I find myself increasingly at odds with others who share the same hobby.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
Snikt[/quote]

I agree with you about disappointment with people complaining about cussing. It’s not like they totally changed the story by trying to over Americanize a product like what happens with some releases. It’s not like they Ghost Storied or Frogged it.

Unfortunately complaining is part of every hobby. You can not get away from it really. I’ve tried a few and even when your dealing with a simple one people find something wrong.

The subtitle color can be a very valid point. In Funimations case they’ve made the mistake of using white against a white background more times then I can count. Some shows not bad ,but its a simple matter watching to make sure it is not happening and changing the subtitle color for those scenes where it happens. One Piece early on was pretty bad because Nami’s shirt is white and you can not read the all white subs easy when she is on screen. Not have been that bad if they had added a black outline ,but no it was white.

I am guilty of the packaging complaint myself ,but a lot of the times it’s because of the crappy packaging has damaged a disc or does not make a lot of sense. Like Stackpaks for example not 100% sure why they were made. I believe it was originally for software storage ,but then bright idea for using it for DVD’s happened. No Sentai was not the first ones to use it ,but the other companies have moved away from them. Probably for a good reason. Funimation’s decision to release their Blu-ray/DVD Combo sets in standard DVD cases because of Best Buy won’t put them in the Anime section if it’s in a Blu-ray case is another head scratchier. I’d be fine with it if the Anime sections in Best Buy had not declined so much in recent years. It makes almost as much sense as what Disney does releasing things in two different style cases. Course Disney’s approach has a very good marketing thought behind it. People are OCD and want all their cases to match. OCD seems to go hand and hand with Disney collectors. Plus it also fools people in to thinking they are paying for a DVD release. Which they are not since Disney usually puts all the extra’s on the Blu-ray. Then releases a DVD version with all the extra’s a month later. To be honest as long as something is watchable I really don’t care what something comes in. Now if it’s a double side disc all bet are off. I’ll make sailor blush with my language. No idea why those monstrosities have been carried over to Blu-ray ,but someone needs a good boot up the chute.

The dumbest reason for complaining you left out. People complaining about having to pay for a dub. I remember someone telling me “I’d be more then willing to buy it if they had not put a dub on it cause I don’t want to pay for a dub.”.

Since I’m tired I’m done for now.

Just saw ep. 5 and did not like one change but loved another.

Did not like.

Kota Hirano prefer the double tap comment as that fits the character better then the f bomb.

Did like

Loved Shizuka Marikawa calling Shido a douchebag. :laugh:

I’m still very impressed with Maggie Flecknoe work on Saya Takagi as she has the sarcastic tone down well. I have no problems with any of the actors.

As for the swearing in #4 I stand by my comment that it was to much. It took the scene from being dramatic to more silly for me.

Observation about Saya Takagi from #5.

I just noticed even with her complaints about Hirano she still sits next to him on the bus even though there are plenty of empty seats. Does she protest to much?

Okay, you guys are telling me that if censored zombies really started attacking every censored one out of the blue you wouldn’t be censored your pants, censored censored off about it, and not censored worried about your censored language as you fight back and knock their censored heads off?

Cody, after reading your comments I went back and reviewed what I had written. I have to agree that the last comment was uncalled for and uncharacteristic of me-so it’s out. I still stand by the body of my comment, but probably not for the reason you think.

I had no problem with the profanity in Ep. 1, 2, 3 or 4. I have to agree that the street punk in episode 4 was a bit over the top, but it didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the episode.

Altering Hirano’s “Double tap, baby” in episode 5 was entirely different. This was not a case of just throwing in some expletives because it’s the “uncensored” version. This was stealing what I (and many others) believe to be Hirano’s signature line. IMHO, Foster showed with this one change that he really didn’t understand Hirano’s character-or he chose to ignore it in favor of what I see and understand to be his preference for extreme language.

Now, I didn’t say I was giving up on HOTD-I clearly said I would buy the series. However, I did say in this case I would probably choose to listen to the subtitled version over the dubbed version.

As for your assertion that the Japanese have to sign off on the English ADR script-I would suspect that while they did, due to cultural differences they may not have had a clear view of what the changes meant.

While I sincerely hope that you don’t give up anime as a hobby, I would understand your decision if you did. I hope you more fully understand my reason for my complaint about episode 5.

[quote=rebecca12]
Okay, you guys are telling me that if censored zombies really started attacking every censored one out of the blue you wouldn’t be censored your pants, censored censored off about it, and not censored worried about your censored language as you fight back and knock their censored heads off?[/quote]

rebecca, I don’t f’n care about the f’n language; I just think Foster completely f’d up Hirano’s character with the f’n “f’n” comment…

[quote=Newshawk]

[quote=rebecca12]
Okay, you guys are telling me that if censored zombies really started attacking every censored one out of the blue you wouldn’t be censored your pants, censored censored off about it, and not censored worried about your censored language as you fight back and knock their censored heads off?[/quote]
rebecca, I don’t f’n care about the f’n language; I just think Foster completely f’d up Hirano’s character with the f’n “f’n” comment…[/quote]
I really fail to see how one f bomb screws up an entire character, especially Hirano’s. I really don’t see that being out of character for him, especially under the circumstances and especially given his voice casting. But that’s really just a matter of opinion. I happen to be a fairly quiet and laid back person, but if you put me in those circumstances, I would swearing like a sailor…lol

To me the dub is well cast, the actors are all doing an excellent job and you can tell they put some time into it. It doesn’t feel rushed like so many dubs have seemed as of late and I think that says a lot about the people working on it and the effort they put into the show. I just can’t see giving up on the dub over one line, especially considering it’s otherwise pretty good compared to so many failed dubs over the past year.

Honestly, if you hadn’t watched the subtitled version before, you probably wouldn’t have thought anything of it.

Perhaps I was a bit over the top with that comment (preferring the sub to the dub) but I will not give up on the iconic nature of the “double tap, baby” comment. I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this, Cody. I’m still going to watch the series on VOD-in fact, I am really looking forward to next week’s episode in the apartment…

[quote=Newshawk]
Perhaps I was a bit over the top with that comment (preferring the sub to the dub) but I will not give up on the iconic nature of the “double tap, baby” comment. I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this, Cody. I’m still going to watch the series on VOD-in fact, I am really looking forward to next week’s episode in the apartment…[/quote]

The phrase “Double Tap” has been around for a long time. I didn’t see it as “iconic”, but that’s just me. I also didn’t see the dub yet, so I really can’t comment on which version is better.
Slick

[quote=slickwolfie]

[quote=Newshawk]
Perhaps I was a bit over the top with that comment (preferring the sub to the dub) but I will not give up on the iconic nature of the “double tap, baby” comment. I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this, Cody. I’m still going to watch the series on VOD-in fact, I am really looking forward to next week’s episode in the apartment…[/quote]
The phrase “Double Tap” has been around for a long time. I didn’t see it as “iconic”, but that’s just me. I also didn’t see the dub yet, so I really can’t comment on which version is better.
Slick[/quote]
You are correct that the term “double tap” has been around for a while. It was even used incorrectly in H.O.T.D. as the term refers to firing two rounds at the same target in an extremely short period of time (see Wikipedia: Double tap). However, as Hirano had an incomplete knowledge of firearms (even with his summer training at a shooting facility in the US) he would not have known that.

I consider it iconic of Hirano as it is the first time he fires a real firearm at a human… well, a former human… and it solidifies his excitement and pride in his “achievement”. It was his “coming out” statement, if you will. Considering Hirano’s character up until this point, where would his motivation be for dropping a “f-bomb” at that moment. This has been my contention all along-the the line is out of character with Hirano’s personality and was thrown in merely for shock value. I don’t know about you, but using profanity merely for shock value shows a lack of understanding of the character.

[quote=Newshawk]

[quote=slickwolfie]

[quote=Newshawk]
Slick[/quote]
You are correct that the term “double tap” has been around for a while. It was even used incorrectly in H.O.T.D. as the term refers to firing two rounds at the same target in an extremely short period of time (see Wikipedia: Double tap). However, as Hirano had an incomplete knowledge of firearms (even with his summer training at a shooting facility in the US) he would not have known that.

I consider it iconic of Hirano as it is the first time he fires a real firearm at a human… well, a former human… and it solidifies his excitement and pride in his “achievement”. It was his “coming out” statement, if you will. Considering Hirano’s character up until this point, where would his motivation be for dropping a “f-bomb” at that moment. This has been my contention all along-the the line is out of character with Hirano’s personality and was thrown in merely for shock value. I don’t know about you, but using profanity merely for shock value shows a lack of understanding of the character.[/quote]
You have no way of knowing why it was used in this instance. Dubbing is a lot more than just saying an exact translation of the Japanese. Things like timing and lip flaps also come into play. Also the person that is finally cast as a character can also affect how certain phrases come across and this has to be taken into account too.

Plus, we are only 5 episodes into the series. You have no understanding of Hirano prior to the events of the first day. You act as though you have some deep understanding of him based on many episodes of his character leading up to a zombie apocalypse. You just don’t have that. In fact, we only have a few moments of his character before s**t hits the fan. What his character was before is basically irrelevant. What happened that day changed everyone. Even in the manga, we have little understanding of the characters before hand, except for the two leads (which is mostly accomplished through flashbacks.)

You know, I’m not going to sit here and argue about it, however, I as well, was a little saddened about the “Double Tap” change.

I thought “Double Tap” was a reference to Zombieland, one of the rules.

[quote=redshirt1]
I thought “Double Tap” was a reference to Zombieland, one of the rules.[/quote]
That is possible-I have not seen Zombieland all the way through but (God help me for saying this) I do want to watch it some day. (You see, I have this thing about Woody Harrelson… I can’t stand him. :angry: )

[quote=Newshawk]

[quote=redshirt1]
I thought “Double Tap” was a reference to Zombieland, one of the rules.[/quote]
That is possible-I have not seen Zombieland all the way through but (God help me for saying this) I do want to watch it some day. (You see, I have this thing about Woody Harrelson… I can’t stand him. :angry: )[/quote]

Zombieland was pretty good but I know what you mean about Woody Harrelson.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]

[quote=Newshawk]

[quote=slickwolfie]

[quote=Newshawk]
Slick[/quote]

I consider it iconic of Hirano as it is the first time he fires a real firearm at a human… well, a former human… and it solidifies his excitement and pride in his “achievement”. It was his “coming out” statement, if you will. Considering Hirano’s character up until this point, where would his motivation be for dropping a “f-bomb” at that moment. This has been my contention all along-the the line is out of character with Hirano’s personality and was thrown in merely for shock value. I don’t know about you, but using profanity merely for shock value shows a lack of understanding of the character.[/quote]

You have no way of knowing why it was used in this instance. Dubbing is a lot more than just saying an exact translation of the Japanese. Things like timing and lip flaps also come into play. Also the person that is finally cast as a character can also affect how certain phrases come across and this has to be taken into account too.

Plus, we are only 5 episodes into the series. You have no understanding of Hirano prior to the events of the first day. You act as though you have some deep understanding of him based on many episodes of his character leading up to a zombie apocalypse. You just don’t have that. In fact, we only have a few moments of his character before s**t hits the fan. What his character was before is basically irrelevant. What happened that day changed everyone. Even in the manga, we have little understanding of the characters before hand, except for the two leads (which is mostly accomplished through flashbacks.)[/quote]

So you’re saying Foster was forced by timing, lip flaps and choice of VA into a situation where he had to have Hirano use profanity? That appears to me to be a greater stretch than what I’m saying.

Cody, let’s just settle on this. You approve of the line and I don’t. End of story. I really don’t want to argue about it any more-we’re straining at gnats.