High School of the Dead / Gakuen Mokushiroku

[quote=dragonrider_cody]

[quote=Newshawk]

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
Also, I wondered that about the apartment scene the first time I watched it. But you will have plot holes in all series, expecially horror. It’s best just to roll with it…lol.[/quote]
Trust me, Cody… aside from my one sticking point, I have been rolling with it. Also, I had the question about the zombies outside the apartment even in the dub. On the whole, I do think it’s a good dub.[/quote]

I think it’s a good dub as well. I had no issue with you expressing your disappointment at that line, but more how you did it at the time. The anime market has been pretty rough the past few years and there is a lot of negativity in fandom as a result. I’ve just become tired of reading things like “this show is garbage. Why didn’t they license this instead?”, or “so and so ruined this dub”, “this is terrible. It should have never been dubbed.” A lot of people complained because Sentai didn’t dub a show the enjoyed but then complain when they do dub something. Then people on other forums wonder why industry reps never post anymore.

It’s possible to express a criticism without being cruel, hateful or insulting. Unfortunately, many people just choose to type whatever pops into their heads without taking a moment to be considerate to others.[/quote]

I’m beginning to understand more where you’re coming from, Cody. I guess the reason it’s taken a while is because I don’t post much on other boards. I like TAN a lot. It has a communal spirit that I can’t find on the other boards. Therefore, I haven’t run into the negativity like you have. Knowing that you have, I now understand your reaction to my initial post. I’m sure you’ve seen that I’ve “dialed back” the snarky comments. (BTW, as I typed the “Curse you…” at the beginning of the initial post, I had an image of Snoopy in full flight regalia shaking his fist at the Red Baron. That was what I was going for. I don’t know if I achieved it.)

As for the whole question of “What if you had never seen the Japanese/subbed/original version?”… well, that question is moot at this time, as this is my third go around for H.O.T.D. Aside from the “Double Tap” comment, my only other negative about the dub is that I’ll never be able to show it to my wife. However, she’s never been much of a zombie movie fan anyway.

The question about what your opinion would be if you hadn’t seen it subbed before wasn’t meant directly towards you, just in general. I was just wondering how much that affects people’s opinions of a dub in general. Like I said, seeing FMA Brotherhood and Ouran subtitled first made me despise the dubs. However, if I hadn’t seen them before and didn’t have something to compare them against, I may not have disliked them as much (though I’m pretty sure Haruhi in Ouran would have still annoyed the hell out of me…lol)

Also, to ZakuAce if you don’t like the jokes in the dub that’s fine. Though considering you didn’t like the ones in Cromartie, when the dub was about the only redeeming quality of the show, I have to question your sense of humor. :wink: But are you saying media should never utilize pop culture references or jokes? What if the Japanese version makes several native culture references?

I can see what you are saying about the jokes being outdated in a few years (we can all only hope that Sarah Palin is but a distant memory in five years), but that’s going to happen regardless of whether this was anime or not. Try watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer now, or even older episodes of the Simpsons. Many of the pop culture references are outdated, but it doesn’t mean they aren’t funny to those who still remember them. And I don’t believe it means they shouldn’t have been used just because they might be outdated in a few years time.

The jokes in the first several seasons of South Park are now outdated, but I still find them funny 15 years later, and that show does little but rip on popular culture. Hell Family Guy and The Cleveland Show make a number of references to culture in the 80’s and 90’s, but it doesn’t mean they’re not funny to their target audience.

Just because you don’t enjoy the jokes, doesn’t mean the dub is “ruined”. It just means it not to your liking. There are plenty of people that prefer some of the lines added as opposed to a straight translation.

You know what? If it’s not to my liking, then to me, it is ruined. And I’m going to say it’s ruined. My big problem, as I’ve tried to say, is adding jokes where there were none in the original a.k.a. where they weren’t needed.

Also, I believe that the added cursing was very out of character, especially when nurse Marikawa called Shido a douchebag. Sure, you can try to defend it by saying “oh the situation!” but I continue to say that it wasn’t necessary.
Now that I’ve been reading the manga, yes, they do use profanity even in there, but still it went over the top in the dub.

I think the dubbing of this has a lot to do with they are not aiming this at just the Anime Fan ,but the mainstream zombie fans. Course that could backfire and they get burned. I’ve not heard it other then the clips ,but I already have a feeling I know where they were aiming it so least I’m not going to be surprised by it. Almost every company does this now and even back in the ADV days their dubs were almost always at least slightly spiced. Every company does it. If I can’t stand what they did with the dub I just watch it subbed anymore. Plus it helps keep my brain active. Something I find to be a good thing since as I get older it tends to want to slack off.

Also remember according to Surveys most Anime watchers are in their teens and we know they cuss. Damn you Surveys! Stop putting your chocolate in my peanut butter!

Amazon has the Blu-ray on sale at the moment.

Highschool of the Dead Complete Collection [Blu-Ray] $38.99

Hey guys,

We really appreciate the fan’s love of everything HOTD. Because of your feedback, Sentai Filmworks has gone ahead and made some changes to the dub, to better capture all the pop culture references from the original Japanese series. I won’t tell you what they changed, you’ll have to figure it out for yourselves. Anyway, thanks everyone!

[quote=Rai]
Hey guys,

We really appreciate the fan’s love of everything HOTD. Because of your feedback, Sentai Filmworks has gone ahead and made some changes to the dub, to better capture all the pop culture references from the original Japanese series. I won’t tell you what they changed, you’ll have to figure it out for yourselves. Anyway, thanks everyone![/quote]

Wow, customer service at it’s finest. That’s why AN and Sentai Film Works will always be my favorite anime distributor.
Slick

Hmmmm… interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of an R1 Changing the dub in response to criticism, except for later episodes of Orphen after it became clear the show wasn’t getting on TV.

[quote=Rai]
Hey guys,

We really appreciate the fan’s love of everything HOTD. Because of your feedback, Sentai Filmworks has gone ahead and made some changes to the dub, to better capture all the pop culture references from the original Japanese series. I won’t tell you what they changed, you’ll have to figure it out for yourselves. Anyway, thanks everyone![/quote]

Wow, that’s seriously impressive that they would go through that trouble!
I never imagined that kind of outcome from all of this.

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]

[quote=Rai]
Hey guys,

I never imagined that kind of outcome from all of this.[/quote]
I’m actually kinda sad about this. I for one actually enjoyed the dub the way it is/was.
Now my only hope will be that they include the Foster “spicy” dub along with the new faithful dub, and of course the original Japanese.
All in glorious 5.1 True HD

[quote=Tonka]

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]

[quote=Rai]
Hey guys,

I’m actually kinda sad about this. I for one actually enjoyed the dub the way it is/was.
Now my only hope will be that they include the Foster “spicy” dub along with the new faithful dub, and of course the original Japanese.
All in glorious 5.1 True HD[/quote]
Actually, they normally use DTS Master HD, but still it would be nice. Though more than likely I imagine they will only include the one they’ve made changes to, but they could keep the original available on TAN. Of course, I wonder if they mean the dub will be changed from a certain point on, similar to how Orphen was done. I guess we will have to wait and see.

[quote=Tonka]

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]

[quote=Rai]
Hey guys,

Wow, that’s seriously impressive that they would go through that trouble![/quote]

Thats pretty cool, I like the fact that they actually listened to what were saying. I’m definitely going to get it when it comes out with the new fixes.[/quote]

Front Cover:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/156/hsotdf.jpg/http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9651/hsotdf.jpg

Back Cover:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/hsotdb.jpg/http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/8127/hsotdb.jpg

[quote=Tonka]

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]

[quote=Rai]
Hey guys,

All in glorious 5.1 True HD[/quote]

I would also like to see a “director’s cut” version as well as the altered version.

I don’t think they are going to completely de-americantize the dub ,but are just changing certain lines back to the way they were during the simulcast.

So Slowhand said they changed this line to. :frowning:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/hsotd92.jpg/http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4514/hsotd92.jpg

So how bad?

HOTD OVA has been realeased to I am not sure if its because there doing the dub but cmon HOTD OVA is out on some websites but I want to watch here so cmon guys hurry up

[quote=Theanimekid]
HOTD OVA has been released too, I am not sure if it’s because they’re doing the dub but c’mon HOTD OVA is out on some websites but I want to watch here so c’mon guys hurry up[/quote]

The OVA is not a true OVA. It was a special release done to coincide with a volume of the manga. The production committee that released the series had nothing to do with the production of the OVA. Sentai’s license only includes the series.

They could theoretically go after the special in the future, but there have only been one or two instances of manga bundled episodes being licensed in the US. Often, the manga publisher will not license them separately from the manga, or will not allow them to be licensed at all.

Not to mention, it’s a side story completely irrelevant to the main plot or the main series.
And from what I’ve heard, not even worth the trouble of a side-license.

From what I saw of the preview and have heard from people it’s pretty much just T&A plus Hirano in a girls school swimsuit. It’d be fun to watch ,but it really does not add anything. Even if they could have gotten it. Since the OVA was just released at the end of April the release date of the Home Media here would not have allowed enough time to add it even if they released it sub only . Most of the main production and replication stuff from what I’ve read is actually done at least 1 to 3 months before release. Which if true explains why most stuff ships out three weeks to a month early most of the time.