High School of the Dead / Gakuen Mokushiroku

[quote=“TheCoffeeGod”]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-02-06/highschool-of-the-dead-manga-to-resume
Highschool of the Dead Manga to Resume
posted on 2013-02-06 20:51 EST

The wraparound jacket band on the fifth and sixth full-color volumes of Daisuke Satō and Shoji Sato’s Highschool of the Dead manga confirmed this week that the manga is resuming. However, it did not specify a timeframe. The manga has been on hiatus since March 2011.[/quote]

And there was much rejoicing…

*They’d just need about 6-8 new Manga Chapters to fill out a 2nd season that adapts all the current manga episodes. (Thinking The mall set is about 4, with the remaining manga Chapters filling up 2-4 episodes.) with the new stuff filling in the gap for the last 4 - 5 for season 2.

It looks like the manga returns this Spring.

http://twitter.com/manganewsjapon/status/300130545977933824/photo/1

[size=16]High School of the Dead Anime to Premiere on Neon Alley on Friday[/size]
posted on 2013-04-18 16:45 EDT
MADHOUSE’s zombie-horror story to premiere at 10:00 p.m. EDT

Way to go Sentai. Is this the closest ADV/Sentai has gotten to a bona fide regularly televised show?

If Neon Alley (that name still makes me want to facepalm) is airing this show without the dubbed being censored/altered (which I hope “uncut” in that PR means but I wouldn’t bet that it does) then my respect for them will go up a notch. It’ll still be below zero as fake commercials, platform restrictions and viewing “off demand” are huge negatives but it’s a tiny, baby step in the right direction.

Of course, I don’t see why this couldn’t be on the (bastardized) late-night Toonami. Graphically it is no worse than what Cartoon Network has shown and the dub pales in comparison to the language they allowed for Deadman Wonderland (which I don’t think should have been censored, but the dub was done in pretty bad taste).

But hey, if Sentai were called to make a Hayes-code-era styled dub for it, I’d buy/watch it again, for laughs.

I wouldn’t consider an online streaming service that only works on video game consoles to be close to “bona ride television.” All it is a severely limited streaming service that lacks any On Demand feature. Basically it’s Hulu without episode selection.

I was a bit surprised to see HoTD end up on Neon Alley, but the show has made the rounds in the past couple of years, so I guess it makes sense. It’s good to see more variety on the service, but it’s still not enough to interest me in a subscription.

ADV did get Neon Genesis Evangelion on Adult Swim several years ago . It may be the reason AS is not willing to work any with Sentai Filmworks as rumor has it ADV got way more for the deal then any other show AS had shown . It may also have deal with one of the current suppliers of Anime to Toonami whispering things in Adult Swim’s ear.

ADV also got several shows on TechTV and Showtime Beyond. In fact, the entirety of Showtime Beyond’s animated shows were from ADV, including some Mainframe CGI shows. Toonami also aired an episode of Nadesico during Giant Robot Week.

As for Toonami, until they broaden their pallet of anime series, I will likely be skipping it. They should have at least worked out a deal for InuYasha Final Act.

I can believe it. Something must have happened that kept one of the most-known anime from running ad nauseum of the same network that ran Cowboy Bebop and GitS for years and years and I don’t think it is because the CN-watching anime fan was too, ah, discerning (Case in Point: Cowboy Bebop B) ).

But I’m all for Neon Alley getting more Sentai stuff to run. If they could land some of those “behind the scenes” clips (which have been really lame so far) for Sentai stuff, well, that could be intriguing.

[quote=“Series5Ranger”]Just a heads up for those of us who loved the first Omnibus color edition:

HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD COLOR OMNIBUS 2
story by Daisuke Sato, art by Shouji Sato

Coming Summer 2013 | ISBN: 978-0-316-25086-3 | $49.99 ($55.00) | 704 pages | 7″x 10.125″ | Mature

Includes colorized versions of volumes 5 to 7 and an art book![/quote]
Just got a heads up on the color Omnibus from Yen Press. It’s been delayed to December 2013.

[quote=“Series5Ranger”]

[quote=“Series5Ranger”]Just a heads up for those of us who loved the first Omnibus color edition:

HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD COLOR OMNIBUS 2
story by Daisuke Sato, art by Shouji Sato

Coming Summer 2013 | ISBN: 978-0-316-25086-3 | $49.99 ($55.00) | 704 pages | 7″x 10.125″ | Mature

Includes colorized versions of volumes 5 to 7 and an art book![/quote]

Just got a heads up on the color Omnibus from Yen Press. It’s been delayed to December 2013.[/quote]
Second Color Omnibus now available for pre order from Right Stuf:

High School of the Dead Graphic Novel 5-7 Omnibus

My guess is that we can have the second season of HOTD once Volume 8 is complete.

As posted in https://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_community/Itemid,79/groupid,826/task,viewgroup/view,groups/

[quote]The anime ended at Chapter 17 (end of Volume 4; end of the first color omnibus).
Chapter 29 came out in March 2011, the last GN (Japanese Volume 7) was released in May 2011.

[quote]"The wraparound jacket band on the latest full-color volumes of the manga said that the manga was resuming.
The 30th chapter shipped in Japan on April 9, 2013[/quote]

, as part of the May issue of Fujimi Shobo’s Dragon Age magazine."[/quote]

[quote=“Series5Ranger”]

Just got a heads up on the color Omnibus from Yen Press. It’s been delayed to December 2013.

Second Color Omnibus now available for pre order from Right Stuf:

High School of the Dead Graphic Novel 5-7 Omnibus[/quote]
How colored is this?

What do you mean by how colored?

I’m assuming it’ll be full colored like the first omnibus. No different than Marvel/DC’s comics.

[quote=“tonka”]What do you mean by how colored?

I’m assuming it’ll be full colored like the first omnibus. No different than Marvel/DC’s comics.[/quote]
and it’s a hardback book too.

Watched first OVA. It was kinda funny, but kinda pointless. Not sure if it outdid things like We Without Wings ep 00 in that regard lol.

Watched it in Japanese first, which I think is required as it had a different take on some lines and thus scenes. The Japanese dub sucks though (especially the seiyu for Karbowski’s character; Karbowski owned her counterpart).

Enjoyed the English dub more. It sounded a little stilted but it was way better than the Japanese and was funnier. The dub kinda required visual “context” for some lines to make sense whereas the subs did not. It did have the first-ever “awkward Fosterization” that I’ve heard though. The lines about the 9th Governor of Alaska and the NRA in the original series were great. The line about Breaking Bad in this OVA was kinda off.

Why did fans petition Sentai to get this on blu-ray?

i should try to get back into and finish this anime
i watched half of it and then stopped for no reasion.then somone sent me a clip of the matrix boobs and i was so stunned at the stupidity.cause when i saw the first few episodes,i took from it that it was a realistic horror anime. nope…

Wait, you saw realism in Shizuka’s humongous flopping boobs??

[quote=“The Coffee God”]

Wait, you saw realism in Shizuka’s humongous flopping boobs??[/quote]
What, you never saw humongous flopping boobs in real life? Really… :huh: ?

Interesting…

[quote=“bigdanz”]i should try to get back into and finish this anime
i watched half of it and then stopped for no reasion.then somone sent me a clip of the matrix boobs and i was so stunned at the stupidity.cause when i saw the first few episodes,i took from it that it was a realistic horror anime. nope…[/quote]
I saw that scene when it was used in an opener for an AMV Hell and after that it was months before I gave HSotD a shot.

Sadly the show is more of a comedy than a horror show.

Keep in mind Drifters of the Dead was basically free with the limited edition of the 7th manga in Japan. So basically it was “hey you bought this in a certain time you get this .” As for the color omnibus’s if you look at the manga covers that’s a good way to get the color aspect. The size and paper is the same as the marvel or dc comics hardcover graphic novels of the larger story lines. They are some large heavy books. Well worth the money . The show itself should be taken as the Shaun of the Dead of anime.