Neo Angelique Abyss & Second Age

Oh good grief…

I hope that Bernard isn’t related to her in some way, that would be too cliched.
Did anyone else notice that the fight between the Orb Hunters and the Jinx was the one we saw in the very first episode? Pretty cool.
And, of course Angelique will want to do everything she can to help out, she’s like a martyr in that respect. After all, she has all those hunky guys to protect her, so why not?

Oh no! It’s Angelique’s long lost brother!
I’m kidding.
I hope!

Do we get the next season? A lot of loose ends and a whole new fight that’s the same old fight going on at the end of #13.

It was mentioned in the newsletter sent out 07/22.
-Joe

The Invasion Has Begun: Blue Drop & Ghost Hound Dubs Advance on Anime Network

Neo Angelique Abyss ~ Second Age (clicky)

The Thanatos are spreading, and one season may not be enough to hold them! Season 2 of Neo Angelique abyss will run back to back with season 1, Purifiers beware!

VOD - 8/05
Online - 8/12

Update (07/30): Blog: The Thanatos are Spreading! Neo Angelique Abyss ~ Second Age Coming Soon.

I see the confusion. The newsletter says the second series premieres on 8/5 but Neo Angelique Abyss-Second Age is not on the VOD schedules at all in August.

Episode 13 -

spoiler

Angelique does decide to help the foundation with her power. They hope to destroy all of the Thanatos at once, but the guys are worried about Angelique’s stamina and vow to protect her. You’d also think that once the Thanatos have gathered in one place that they would not have to fight alone. The Silver Knights or the Foundation should have had people there to back up the Orb Hunters. How can they be expected to do this alone? But they do manage.
Time passes and Angelique begins to falter. The Thanatos join to form one giant one and the Orb Hunters can’t defeat it. The giant knocks down the tower that was broadcasting Angelique’s Light of Purification. Angelique finds an inner strength because she wants to protect everyone. Her spirit appears before her companions and they can feel the extra strength she’s projecting. Angelique weakens the giant and the guys finally destroy it. However, something is also happening to Nyx. Is he part Thanatos after all?
They all return to the Sunlit Mansion and celebrate their victory with an elaborate meal. But Nyx spoils the mood by telling them that they still have to defeat Erbos – the one that controls the Thanatos. Since only the Queen can defeat Erbos, they need Angelique to become the Queen as soon as possible. However, Angelique doesn’t know how to accomplish this, but promises to find a way. There is a funny moment when Angelique forbids anyone to call her “Queen” or even “Lady” and Hyuga has a very hard time just saying her first name without a title in front of it. With her companions, Angelique is happy to have finally found a home.
Nyx goes to make them tea, but instead, purposely sets the mansion on fire! The others don’t realize this and a very upset Angelique insists they put the fire out. She doesn’t want to see her home burn, but it’s too late and they need to escape - I like how J.D. takes care of Erwin – he is very caring for a machine. Nyx appears before them and that mark is back on his face. He has a completely different personality too. Is he possessed? Or is he Erbos? I’m beginning to think that this is a very good possibility, especially since he says that he wants them to burn with the mansion and suddenly the Thanatos appear. I think Nyx called them to him.
The group manages to get out of the burning house, only to be faced with more Thanatos. They escape up the mountain, but Angelique looks back to see her home in flames and it almost destroys her. They fight their way past the Thanatos, but they are driven to the edge of a cliff and attacked. As the ground crumbles and they all fall, Angelique thinks of her companions, including Nyx, and cries. Her tears touch Erwin and something happens. The cat glows!
Just before they hit the bottom, there is a larger glow. Did Erwin save them? I get the feeling that Erwin isn’t really a cat after all. There is a great white light and a voice says “Angelique” and the episode ends! What an exciting cliffhanger! I can’t wait to see how things turn out in the next season.

All I’ll say is… remember, Erwin has never liked Nyx.

Note: Neo Angelique Abyss ~ Second Age ep 01 has shown up on VOD as Neo Angelique Abyss ep 14 instead.

Yes, I was glad to see that.

Second Age - Episode 1 -

spoiler

Six months have passed and the Thanatos are constantly increasing in Arcadia. The Silver Knights can’t fight them all and the sun disappeared when the Sunlit Mansion burned to the ground. Bernard and Roche are still searching for the Orb Hunters, following every lead they get.
So much is revealed in this episode. It turns out that Rene and not Mathias is the true head of the order. I knew Rene was more than an apprentice! It’s sad that they say Angelique is not the Queen’s Egg after all, but I’m glad that Rene still believes in her. Erenfried and Jet break into the capital to meet with Mathias. The Foundation is pretty much gone, but Erenfried is still working on improving the Jinx and he offers them to Mathias in order to save Yorgo. Yorgo is on trial for destroying Arcadia and causing the Thanatos to increase, but I think it should have been Erenfried on trial instead, although it is good of him to try to save Yorgo. However, Yorgo may be put to death and Erenfried feels that the Celestial Order can influence public opinion and save Yorgo.
Mathias tells him that “sins committed must be atoned for” and has Erenfried thrown out of his office, saying that the Jinx are too dangerous and must never be used again. But when the door closes, he tells himself he doesn’t have that kind of power anyway because he is a “fake”. It was nice to see the flashback when Mathias was brought to Celestizam, but it was sad to see him reduced to a “stand-in” after seven years of hard work. And not only a stand-in until Rene can be crowned, but a disposable one at that! However, I’m still not sure if the message of the dagger means his death or not. Mathias starts to leave the city in the middle of the night, but then remembers how he devoted his life to the order and Rene and how much he loves the city. Mathias changes his mind and turns back, vowing to stay in the city forever. I’m glad he shows some defiance here.
Roche has changed too and is not so fond of money anymore. He and Bernard are confronted by a Thanatos and Bernard provides a distraction, instructing Roche to “tell people the truth”. At the last minute, Bernard is saved by none other than Rayne! He takes Bernard and Roche to a cabin in the woods and J.D. and Hyuga there. It was great to see that they survived the fall and even Erwin is curled up on a stool. But a curtain is pulled back to reveal a comatose Angelique!

Second Age - Episode 2 –

spoiler

Rayne tells Bernard and Roche what happened six months ago when they escaped from Nyx. Bernard and Roche decide to investigate Nyx. Meanwhile, Mathias has called Erenfried back to his office to accept his offer, but with conditions. He wants Erenfried to work on one of Rayne’s creations – a purification chip. I wonder what Mathias is up to. He also insists that Erenfried give up Jet.
Back at the cabin, the sun comes out for the first time in six months. The rays shine through the cabin window and touch Angelique’s face. Rayne, J.D. and Hyuga return to the cabin to find her awake! They bring Angelique up to date and she lies awake that night, trying to come to terms with all that has happened. But she hears familiar music and is suddenly outside, coming face to face with Nyx. Is this a dream?
She asks him why those things happened and is upset that she has lost her home. Nyx tells her to hate him so that she will have the power to act and even tells her to kill him because he doesn’t want to make her suffer. As the Thanatos engulf him, his hair comes undone and just before he disappears, his hair ribbon blows into Angelique’s hand as she reaches for him. Angelique wakes up when the guys find her in the woods. She thinks it was a dream until she realizes that she’s still holding the ribbon! She’s now convinced that Nyx wants her to save him.
Bernard and Roche receive a note saying that it’s too dangerous for the Orb Hunters to stay in the cabin and that they are on their way to the Holy Capital where Angelique will be safe. I get the feeling she really won’t be safe. And Bernard still has her necklace and a secret to tell.

And don’t forget, Wicca, that Jet, though an Artifact, has memories of Angelique and keeps the handkerchief she used to tend to his wound-both of which are uncharacteristic actions for him who analyzes his every move so mechanically! What does this mean for him?

I think he’s more like J.D. than he cares to admit. Wasn’t he made with the info they had on J.D.? And since they are “brothers” I’m not surprised he is starting to have “defective” feelings. I like the change and hope it continues.

Second Age - Episode 3 –

spoiler

It seems that Angelique is having a really hard time with Nyx betraying them and her recent “dream” about him. As they travel to Celestizam in secret, Angelique is saved from some thugs by a stranger that turns out to be a ship’s captain. She offers them passage, but they end up having to work for it. The captain also refuses to tell them her name because they aren’t “friends”.
Although they are close in age, Angelique sees how strong this woman is and how she protects her crew. She asks the captain to teach her how to use a sword. They guys seem against it, but Angelique tells them that she wants to protect everyone. The captain agrees but tells Angelique that she won’t be allowed to regret it. The captain says that her dress is too “frilly” to work out in and lends her some clothes that will allow her ease of movement. Angelique finally notices that her necklace is gone and it seems odd that she is only noticing now. I thought it funny too that after refusing several outfits, Angelique ends up in a dress that isn’t all that much different from her original frilly one.
The guys watch the lesson and it was really funny that Hyuga was trying to endure it – at least that’s what I thought – but it turned out that he was really trying to endure seasickness, which was even funnier! After a long day of training, the captain tells Angelique that she isn’t “suited to the sword”. However, Angelique is determined and continues to practice by herself. It’s really nice to see her wanting to get stronger.
Then Angelique gets her trial by fire when a Thanatos attacks the ship and she defends a crewmember. She manages quite well and Hyuga compliments her. Glad to see he overcame his seasickness. It was also good to see Angelique take an active role instead of relying on others. The Thanatos is defeated, but when Angelique purifies it, the captain realizes who she really is and later tells her that Angelique’s burden is greater than her own. Angelique really misses Nyx too when she speaks of him.
Once they dock at Orage, the captain tells Angelique that the clothes and sword are gifts and wishes them all luck. As an afterthought, she calls Angelique back and tells Angelique her name – Cedna. I guess she considers Angelique a friend now which is nice. I like Cedna and I hope she turns up again at some point. Anyway, once the group enters the town proper, they overhear that the “Thanatos have appeared in the Tower of Dreaming Souls again” and Hyuga seems to know what they are talking about and murmurs the name “Carlyle”. When Angelique turns back to him, she sees the butterfly that she had seen before. I hope this means that we will get some of Hyuga’s back story. It’s still a bit of a mystery, although a few hints were dropped when they last went to Celestizam.

Second Age - Episode 4 –

spoiler

Hyuga is acting strangely and shuts himself off from his friends. With Thanatos at the Tower of Dreaming Souls and the town in danger, Dion and his men arrive. Hyuga has gone to the tower alone. He thinks that the Thanatos might be Carlyle.
The Orb Hunters go with Dion to the tower and Angelique asks about Hyuga. Dion finally gives in and tells them the story. Carlyle was a knight that became a Thanatos. Hyuga killed and purified Carlyle – it was the only way to save him, but Carlyle had also been a good friend to both Hyuga and Dion.
When Hyuga was chosen to be Holy Knight, Carlyle left the city and Hyuga went after him. He did find Carlyle, but too late. Carlyle became a Thanatos right in front of Hyuga. As he continued to change, he asked Hyuga to purify him and Hyuga had no choice. With much mystery surrounding it, the incident was covered up by the Order. Hyuga felt tainted and left the Knights to discover the truth of what happened.
This Thanatos now might be Carlyle resurrected and that is why Hyuga went to confront it alone. The butterfly appears again and Angelique gets a vision of Hyuga and Carlyle. She runs after the butterfly, saying that Hyuga’s heart isn’t saved yet.
Hyuga arrives at the top of the tower and sees Carlyle, but it’s only a trick of the Thanatos. It plays with Hyuga’s mind and Hyuga really believes that he’s speaking with Carlyle and that Carlyle is asking him to join him in darkness. The others arrive to see the Thanatos slowly killing Hyuga, but Hyuga still thinks it’s Carlyle. However, once Carlyle says that the Queen isn’t real, Hyuga thinks of Angelique and finally realizes that this Thanatos really isn’t Carlyle after all.
The butterfly enters the body of the fake Carlyle and becomes the real Carlyle. He tells Hyuga that he doesn’t hate him, but wanted power so much that he used an Artifact. He doesn’t want Hyuga to suffer over him anymore and tells Hyuga to forget him. Hyuga reaches for him but he turns into Angelique. Hyuga says that he can’t ever forget him. When Hyuga comes to himself, he asks Angelique why she’s there and she tells him about the butterfly and says that she’s sure it’s Carlyle. She asks Hyuga to stay with his new friends and he promises to always stay by Angelique’s side.
Hyuga later asks Rayne about what Carlyle had said regarding an Artifact that grants power. Rayne tells them about one of his Foundation projects – “a device that could enhance a person’s purification abilities”. However, it was a chip with a flaw, as it would cause a Thanatos to possess the user. Rayne says he destroyed all of his work and left the Foundation, but that they must have had backup copies and used Carlyle in an experiment. Hyuga doesn’t blame Rayne, but the person who continued his work. I’m glad that Hyuga made peace with his past and I think Carlyle can also rest easy now as the butterfly disappears.
It’s good to finally know about Hyuga’s past and why he felt tainted. Also good to see why Rayne turned his back on the Foundation. But in the city, Erenfield is still working on the chip and I think Mathias is going to use it on himself at some point. This might be another disaster waiting to happen.

Second Age - Episode 5 –

spoiler

The group has made it to Celestizam and Angelique is taken to the Head of the Order, but instead finds Rene and is surprised to find out that he is the soon to be head of the Order. He explains everything to Angelique and also that Mathias will still help him while secretly living outside the city, although the story will be put out that he has passed away. It’s sad that Rene may never leave the capital and no wonder he feels like bird in a cage. Angelique tells Rene of Nyx and his desire for salvation and that she would like to save him. She thinks she can save him if she becomes Queen and asks Rene how she can go about this, but he can only tell her that things will happen in their own time.
Erenfried has finished the chip and gives it to Mathias, but I still don’t trust him and apparently neither does Mathias since he has Jet “detain” him. I also think Mathis is getting a bit of a darker side as it doesn’t look like he’ll be keeping his promise either in regards to Director Yorgo and even has Erenfried thrown into a dungeon. Erenfried begs Jet to save Yorgo, but gets ignored since Jet claims he’s only an Artifact and that he now takes his orders only from Mathias just as Erenfried told him to do.
Now that Rene has spoken to Angelique, she is saddened to hear what is in store for her as Queen and it hurts her to find out that she will have to be alone. She returns to her companions to find that Bernard and Roche have joined them. In investigating Nyx, Bernard and Roche haven’t been able to find out much about his past at all, but there is a letter for Angelique from August concerning Nyx’s grandfather. The old man now thinks that Nyx and his grandfather may be the same person, even though he knows this to be impossible and he asks Angelique to save his friend. The others are surprised and somewhat disbelieving that Nyx doesn’t age, but will continue searching for answers. Meanwhile, Angelique cannot think of a future without them and leaves the house to “get some air”.
Bernard later finds her and the mystery of the locket is solved. It turns out that Bernard is her brother after all, although it doesn’t sound like they are exactly brother and sister, but related more distantly. I’m glad they’re reunited, but it was a bit too obvious that they were brother and sister even if Angelique had no clue. And now she has another reason to hate her future – she will have to lose her brother again when she becomes Queen, but of course she can’t bring herself to tell him any of this and he doesn’t like seeing her so unhappy. Bernard tells her that she doesn’t have to become Queen, but can seek her own happiness and that he will help her. He teases her and makes her laugh.
Mathias has been summoned to the Elder and he tells Mathias that the Queen’s Egg has already hatched. He wants Mathias to perform the coronation and leave the city, but Mathias tells the Elder that he is the Head of the Order and will not leave. The Elder is shocked by his defiance and more so when Jet enters and kills one of his guards – one that had been ordered to kill Mathias. Mathias draws the ceremonial dagger, that Rene had brought to him as a message, and kills the Elder! I think Mathias loves his city and his position a little too much and I can understand how he feels. He gave his entire life to the Order and is being tossed aside like nothing. But I think he has gone off the deep end and I really fear for Angelique now, as well as Rene. There’s no telling what Mathias is planning or what he is capable of at this point.

Second Age - Episode 6 –

spoiler

It’s the day of Rene’s coronation. Roche seems a little jealous of Bernard and Angelique. Didn’t anyone tell him that they are brother and sister? The faithful are under the impression that Mathias is dead – I guess they all bought the story that was put out.
At the moment that Rene is about to take the throne, Mathias reveals himself and says that he won’t let Rene have the capital. He tells the assembly that he rejects the coronation and Rene as well. Mathias shows everyone the chip and Rayne recognizes it. Mathias is warned of the danger, but places the chip on his neck, saying that he is stronger than Carlyle and the chip possesses him as well. He pushes Rene aside and takes the throne, proclaiming himself ruler. He then sets his sights on Angelique and before the guys can get to her, Jet crashes through a window and captures her once again.
Erwin really must be connected to Angelique somehow, because even though he’s outside, he knows Angelique is in trouble and struggles in Roche’s arms. Inside the chapel, Rene tells Mathias to let Angelique go, but he just laughs and tells Rene the truth behind his coronation. Rene is shocked to find out that Mathias was supposed to commit suicide and that he killed the Elder instead. The guys rush to save Angelique, but Mathias “tests” his new power against them and instead summons the Thanatos. As more and more appear, the area erupts into chaos. However, a single cloaked figure approaches the chapel and judging by Erwin’s reaction, it has to be Nyx. But is he there to save or to kill?
Inside, J.D. faces off against Jet again and a little more of his story is told. As Jet is about to deliver a fatal blow to J.D., Angelique yells at him to stop and he does, but he doesn’t know why he did so since it goes against his orders. Jet decides that Angelique has changed him and tries to kill her instead. The guys try to save her, but someone else beats them to it – Nyx! He takes her form the chapel, but then offers his hand to her, asking her to go with him and says that he doesn’t have much time. Angelique is torn, but does take his hand.
Roche and Bernard see them running off together and Roche tries to follow, but Bernard stops him, saying he won’t have a chance with the Thanatos all around them. However, when Roche pulls away from him, a picture falls from his jacket. Bernard picks it up and sees that it’s a photo Roche took of Angelique. It seems Roche does have some deeper feelings for Angelique after all. But now I guess they must all save her from Nyx. I wonder what Nyx wants with Angelique now anyway. He did seem to be back to his normal self, but I’m not sure if it’s just an act.

Second Age episode #3

This really bothered me and I’m not sure why except that I thought it was really silly. When Angelique asks the pirate lady to train her to use the sword, she tells her she needs less frilly clothes for training. Is it just me is the outfit she puts on just as frilly? It’s weird and I really like the show but for whatever reason that just bugged me. In part I think it is because I almost always think the outfits they put the women in to fight are ridiculous. It can be revealing without being impractical. Sorry, just a small pet peeve of mine.

Second Age - Episode 7 –

spoiler

Mathias orders Jet to retrieve Angelique, but it seems that Jet still has some issues with her. It may be that he has a heart after all. I think he does care for Angelique and others in his own way. Unfortunately, the guys couldn’t rescue Angelique in time, but they do manage to get Rene away from Mathias.
Nyx takes Angelique to one of his family’s villas. He is himself again and Angelique is very happy to see that he’s safe, but asks him what happened. It turns out that he shares his body with the soul of Erbos and he tells Angelique the story of how this came to be. He was caught in a storm at sea as a child and drowning, but begging to live and this drew Erbos to him. This happened 200 years ago and it’s also why he hates the sea even to this day. It was a very sad scene of a child watching his drowned parents sink below him as an evil entity took over his small body. Until now, Nyx has been able to control Erbos, but can no longer do so. Only the Queen can destroy Erbos and he searched for her a very long time before finally finding Angelique.
Back in the city, Erwin leads Bernard and Roche to the safety of the Silver Tree and Rene has brought the Orb Hunters to the same place. The light from the tree wards off the Thanatos, but they can’t stay there. They have to leave and J.D. leaves them to rescue Erenfried, since Jet told him where he was being kept, and the entire group flees the city.
Nyx asks Angelique to end his life once she becomes Queen and tells her that it’s the only way to save Arcadia. He also tells her that he wants peace and apologizes for taking so much from her. But Angelique is grateful to Nyx for all the things he did give her and in helping her to find her place in life. However, the tender moment is interrupted by Erbos and he tells Angelique that he will kill her before she can kill him. Angelique is sure she can destroy Erbos and still save Nyx at the same time, but Erbos disappears, taking the Thanatos with him.
As Mathias surveys the dead around him, I wonder if he has any regrets. I know the chip has pretty much taken him over, but it must be killing him that he’s responsible for practically destroying the city he loved so much and wanted to protect.

Second Age - Episode 8 –

spoiler

Mathias is suffering from the chip. He calls Jet defective when he returns without Angelique and sends him away. Angelique and the guys have a happy reunion at the villa, but now Roche is missing. Angelique tells them all of Nyx and Erbos and also tells them that she wants to save Nyx by banishing Erbos from his body. They all decide to save Nyx together. Bernard leaves them to gather information and to look for Roche. Rene is devastated and confused over Mathias’s betrayal.
In the Holy City, Nyx confronts Mathias and Mathias promises that Celestizam will not oppose him. Mathias also requests that Erbos not destroy the city and asks for ownership. The Silver Tree begins to die and Rene and Angelique can feel it. Strangely, Roche is back at the tree. He knew it was dying as well and takes pictures of it.
At the villa, Erenfried admits that he made the chip for Mathias, but apparently didn’t know that the user could be possessed by a Thanatos. He now realizes what he’s done and says that he only wanted to save Yorgo. I’m sure he regrets his actions. Bernard has returned but couldn’t find Roche. However, he’s sure Roche is ok. Erenfried wants to return to the Foundation and find a way to stop the chip. Bernard tells them that Yorgo has been sentenced to death because he was responsible for the Jinx project and for putting Arcadia in danger.
As expected, Erenfried doesn’t take the news well and Angelique comforts him. He still wants to save Yorgo and stop the effects of the chip, but he now apologizes to Angelique for all the things he did to her. However, it seems Angelique had already forgiven him. Erenfried tries to leave during the night, but Rayne expected it and won’t stop him. He can’t leave Angelique and entrusts Yorgo to Erenfried’s care, giving him a map of the best route to take. Shortly after leaving the villa, Rene catches up to him. Rene also feels responsible for whatever changed Mathias and drove him to use the chip. He wants to do what he can and gives Erenfried a charm.
As Erenfried passes out of sight, the others catch up to Rene. Rene tells them that Erenfried has inspired him and he won’t run anymore. He wishes to return to the Holy City and take his rightful place as head of the Celestial Order. Rene wants to save Mathias as Angelique wants to save Nyx and feels that this is the key to saving Arcadia. The sun rises and Rene tells them that the Silver Tree is dying. If it dies, Arcadia will die too and he is the only one that can save the tree. Angelique decides that they should all return to Celestizam and even Bernard wants to go with them.
Mathias surveys his empty city from the tower of the church and I wonder what he’s thinking. Roche approaches the church from the street, looking at his picture of Angelique. What is he going to do? He can’t fight Mathias by himself! Meanwhile, Jet is on the road. He has no orders and no purpose and isn’t sure what he should do. I have a feeling he may end up joining with Angelique or maybe he will return to the Foundation and Erenfried. As Angelique travels along with her group, she makes a promise to save Nyx.