Ah! My Goddess / Aa Megami-sama

###Ah! My Goddess / Aa Megami-sama

[quote]Genres: comedy, drama, romance, supernatural
Themes: goddesses, gods, magical girlfriend
Objectionable content: Significant
Number of episodes: 26
Plot Summary: Keiichi Morisato is looking forward to university life. But in reality, he has no luck in anything, and he has trouble with clubs, love, etc. The truth is that he has an unlucky star above his head. One day, Keiichi is stuck watching the dorm while his sempai are away, and has a mountain of chores to do to boot. But Keiichi is a good-natured person, and is set about doing his duties. As he is about to finish his final chore, he makes a phone call to his sempai. But the words that came through the receiver are, ‘Goddess Help Line.’ Shortly afterwards, a beautiful goddess named Belldandy appears in front of him from the mirror of his room.
Vintage: 2005-01-06 to 2005-07-07[/quote]
ANN Info Page

###Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy / Aa Megami-sama: Sorezore no Tsubasa

[quote]Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life, supernatural
Themes: goddesses, harem, magical girlfriend
Objectionable content: Mild
Number of episodes: 24
Plot Summary: One year after goddess Belldandy emerged from Keiichi Morisato’s mirror and promised to stay with him forever, a new threat to their happiness emerges, one that could end the contract between Belldandy and Keiichi.
Vintage: 2006-04-06 to 2006-09-14[/quote]
ANN Info Page

Oh My Goddess! (OAV) Vintage: 1993
The Adventures of Mini-Goddess (TV) Vintage: 1998-04-06 to 1999-03-29
Ah! My Goddess: The Movie Vintage: 2000-10-21
Ah! My Goddess: Fighting Wings (special) Vintage: 2007-12-08
Aa Megami-sama (OAV 2011) Vintage: 2011-02-23

So I started re-watching these the other day (on DVD 3 of Season 2 currently) and I have to say, these have definitely moved up on my list of favorites, so much so, I think they might have even knocked off Fumoffu from my Top 5 list, though, I’m going to have to re-watch Fumoffu again just to be sure.

In what order should this be watched?

[quote=blakdragon7]
In what order should this be watched?[/quote]

Depends on which adaptation you want to watch.
The Oh My Goddess! OVA is the first adaptation with Ah! My Goddess: The Movie as a sequal.
The Ah! My Goddess (TV) is the second adaptation with Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy (TV) as a sequal.

Though I’ve not watched the OVA & Movie, I have seen both TV seasons, and I can tell you from that, since it is its own adaptation of the story, the OVA & Movie are not required for understanding the story.

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]

[quote=blakdragon7]
In what order should this be watched?[/quote]

Depends on which adaptation you want to watch.
The Oh My Goddess! OVA is the first adaptation with Ah! My Goddess: The Movie as a sequal.
The Ah! My Goddess (TV) is the second adaptation with Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy (TV) as a sequal.

Though I’ve not watched the OVA & Movie, I have seen both TV seasons, and I can tell you from that, since it is its own adaptation of the story, the OVA & Movie are not required for understanding the story.[/quote]

Looks like I’ll buy the TV series first.

[quote=blakdragon7]
Looks like I’ll buy the TV series first.[/quote]

That’s the spirit!

I have the tv series, and have seen the ova and movie.

A guilty pleasure.

I have the tv series and Flights of Fancy and believe me when I say its a buy you won’t regret. The series are so funny and enjoyable, and you can really identify with all the characters. I don’t know about the OVA though. I heard it was good, but I personally have never seen it.

For those that want the first season premium set to go along with their second season ADV set, now would be the time to get it.

It’s only $69.99 until midnight Dec. 18.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/OmOa1TlLEKFJ6sYuE0/browse/item/71017/4/0/0

Finished Season 2 recently and I thought overall it was a good show that was consistently solid.

I felt they saved the best for last (of the actual TV portion) getting better and better as the episodes went along, and particularly the ending was my favorite portions with it sweet portrayal of the two’s relationship. Also especially enjoyed the OVA ep. with Keiichi’s grandfather and the bike around the lake storyline I also enjoyed the Hild episodes as they jazzed things up a bit, I like counterpoint and Hild is certainly that. :smiley:

TBS as to be expected did another fine production effort, along with AIC’s beautiful realization of the art (like during the OP) - at times it is very striking. The character designs are particularly pretty. There’s one musical theme I just loved, I don’t know the name of it though. :frowning: I remember it playing often near the end of the series.

My one minor beef was it was in essence text-book Harem, except with great designs and too even at times, no super highs and no lows with either tension, drama or comedy - outside what I mentioned in the spoiler tag. I feel harems need some sort of singular encompassing arc that drives the story, this one is more about 1-2 ep. mini-arcs of mini-storylines. In that sense I think a shorter setting like the movie or cour works better.

Overall, while it won’t win non-harem fans over, it’s a nice, serene and gentle harem with slice of life aspects - and the designs and art are highly noteworthy.

[quote=dragoon]
TBS as to be expected did another fine production effort, along with AIC’s beautiful realization of the art (like during the OP) - at times it is very striking. The character designs are particularly pretty. There’s one musical theme I just loved, I don’t know the name of it though. :frowning: I remember it playing often near the end of the series.[/quote]

That’s one of the things I love the most about this series; the artwork. They really did an awesome job making it look extremely good.

The soundtrack is also extremely awesome for this, in particular, there’s an orchestral/choral action theme used in the first season and rehashed in the second season that I really love (might be the same one you’re referring to). In both cases, it was used near the end of both seasons.

Took me awhile to find it, since I didn’t actually know the name of what I was looking for, but it’s called
Last Battle ~Libera me~.

The one I liked was some simple synth thing. I wish I took note which episode it was in so I could find it again.

Really enjoyed that theme though!

See also: List of Oh My Goddess! characters
Keiichi Morisato is a good-natured, yet hapless and girlfriend-less college freshman who is often imposed upon by his elder dorm-mates and brow-beaten into taking phone messages and doing miscellaneous chores for them. One day, while alone in his dorm, he accidentally calls the Goddess Technical Help Line and a beautiful goddess named Belldandy materializes in his room. She tells him that her agency has received a system request from him, so she has been sent to grant him a single wish. Skeptical and thinking someone is playing a practical joke on him, he wishes that she stay with him forever. To his surprise, his wish is granted. Belldandy must stay with him, but as his dormitory is strictly male-only, they are both forced onto the street.

They set off on his motorcycle to find alternative shelter, eventually seeking cover in an old Buddhist temple. In the morning, they are greeted by the temple’s sole inhabitant, a young monk, who welcomes them and gives them permission to stay until they can find permanent lodging. He immediately puts them to work maintaining the temple grounds, but when he sees Belldandy use her powers to save Keiichi from injury, he begins to fear that she may be a demon or sorceress. He is eventually convinced of Belldandy’s intrinsic goodness when he witnesses her solicitous care of the temple premises and her perfect meditation ritual. When he decides to go on a pilgrimage to India, the priest gives the couple permission to remain in the temple so long as they continue to maintain it.

There’s already a discussion going on here

Really need to make sure their is not another thread before you make one.
It’s quite a pain to to have to merge threads with Kunena.

So I was testing out a cool new little program (PowerCinema) on my new computer this evening, and in doing so, I started re-watching this tonight.

I was reminded again how much I love this series!

Any word on when the third series is going to be released in U.S.?

[quote=redshirt1]
Any word on when the third series is going to be released in U.S.?[/quote]

There is no third series, unless you mean the 2 episode special. If that’s what you mean, probably when hell freezes over. lol It’s tough to release something that marginal and turn a profit - OVA, short spin-offs rarely do well. If Sentai retained rights to AMG S2, it would have been more likely… but now… slimmer.

If there ever was a season 3, probably grim too. AMG is becoming a relic of the past, Season 1 and 2 didn’t do terribly well, especially due to the dub costs. ADV and now Sentai have always been fond of the production and artists involved in AMG though, as evidenced by You’re Under Arrest acquisitions… so you never know. :wink:

But these types of older popular titles like AMG are just ever-moving away from the spotlight they once enjoyed.

###Aa Megami-sama Gets New Original Anime DVD
posted on 2010-09-18 03:11 EDT
DVD to ship with 42nd volume on February 23

Aa Megami-sama OAD, Hourou Musuko Promos Streamed

posted on 2010-12-16 10:37 EST
English live-action Gantz trailer, Kara no Kyoukai promo, Deva Zan site