Once Upon A Time

Once Upon A Time

Genres: Drama, Fantasy, Adventure, Mystery
Rating: TV-14
Running Time: 43 minutes per episode
Number of Seasons: 7 [CANCELLED]
Number of Episodes: 154
Vintage: December 16, 2015 – May 18, 2018

Plot Summary: The story is set in the fictional small town of Storybrooke, Maine. The town is populated by characters from fairy tales, who have been exiled to the real world due to a curse cast by the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla) as part of a revenge plot against Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin), and Prince Charming (Josh Dallas). Because of the curse, most of the inhabitants of Storybrooke have no memory of their true identities and have been stuck (almost) timelessly in Storybrooke for years. This changes when Henry (Jared S. Gilmore), the adopted son of Storybrooke’s Mayor Regina Mills (also Lana Parrilla), seeks out his birth mother, Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison), a bounty hunter living in Boston and coerces her to come to Storybrooke. Henry, who knows about the curse from a book given to him by his teacher Mary Margaret Blanchard (also Ginnifer Goodwin), informs Emma that she is the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming and that she is destined to break the curse holding everyone in Storybrooke. Skeptical, Emma decides to stay in Storybrooke after seeing how lonely Henry is and how he is emotionally neglected by his mother. In staying, Emma continues to run afoul of Mayor Mills. This conflict only increases when Emma becomes the town Sheriff. Each episode usually focuses on one main character who is experiencing some sort of conflict in Storybrooke. Flashbacks also show what their character’s story was in the fairy tale world of the Enchanted Forest. (from Wikipedia)

Watch online at ABC

IMDb Page

Wikipedia Page

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland Vintage: October 10, 2013 – April 3, 2014

I adore the Evil Queen and the witchy mayor! :lol: The Evil Queen also gets some of the best outfits!

It’s also interesting how the characters translate so well into the modern world and even retain some of their fairy tale characteristics.

I am in love with that show! I thought the episode with little red riding hood was wonderfully twisted from the original tale.

I really like the way they added new twists to old tales such as snow white turning thief to get money to leave the area and red turned out to be a wolf at least part of the time.

MOD EDIT: Please use spoiler tags when revealing plot points in case others haven’t seen the episodes yet.

Names for many characters in Storybrooke are often coordinated with their fairy-tale counterpart. For example:

Mary Margaret Blanchard (Snow White): Blanchard derives from the French word “blanc” or “blanche” for white. The name “Mary Margaret” is from a real-life woman believed to be the inspiration of the Snow White character named “Maria Sophia Margaretha Catharina Freifräulein von Erthal” (born on June 15, 1729 in Germany.)

Regina Mills (Evil Queen): Regina is a Late Latin and Modern Italian feminine noun and name meaning “Queen”. Mills refers to the Greek word “Milo” meaning “apple” in modern Greek, which is in reference to the Queen poisoning Snow White with an apple. Also in the series, Regina’s favorite fruit are red apples; she also owns an apple orchard and is seen frequently holding apples. Also, Regina’s grandfather was a Miller so that is another connection to her last name.

Mr. Gold (Rumpelstiltskin): Rumpelstiltskin spun straw into gold in his story.

Ruby (Red Riding Hood): A ruby is a pink to blood-red colored gemstone.

Ashley Boyd (Cinderella): Cinders precede ashes in the burning process. Boyd derives from the Gaelic word “buidhe” meaning yellow-haired.

Sidney Glass (Mirror): Because another word for mirror is glass or looking glass. Also, his newspaper is called The Mirror. Sidney’s character as the Queen’s minion trapped in a mirror parallels a genie trapped in a lamp as a master’s servant; the name Sidney refers to Sidney Sheldon, the creator of I Dream of Jeannie.

Archie Hopper (Jiminy Cricket): Crickets often hop to get around. Also, crickets are sometimes called hoppers.

Jefferson (The Mad Hatter): The group Jefferson Airplane has a song called “White Rabbit” which uses imagery from the “Alice in Wonderland” tales.

Paige (Grace) In the real world the Hatter’s daughter is named Paige but in the other her name is Grace. Grace Slick was a member of Jefferson Airplane and writer of “White Rabbit”.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1843230/trivia

pretty interesting find there slowhand. seems they put some real thought into nameing the “real” world counterparts. this show is so trippy. i really enjoy watcing to see how they twist things. i’m glad i was bored when the show first started. there was nothing else going on so i figured eh what the heck i’ll give it a look see. now i’m hooked.

I find it interesting that this made it to Netflix but Grimm did not. I noticed that, after seeing that Netflix dropped a whole bunch of kick-ass stuff for streaming. :frowning:

I might have to check this out since Grimm, and all the other fall shows, seem to be off on hiatus more than they’re on (hyperbole, but it feels like it).

[quote=“celestial_being” post=127949]I find it interesting that this made it to Netflix but Grimm did not. I noticed that, after seeing that Netflix dropped a whole bunch of kick-ass stuff for streaming. :frowning:

I might have to check this out since Grimm, and all the other fall shows, seem to be off on hiatus more than they’re on (hyperbole, but it feels like it).[/quote]

Between the baseball playoffs and the debates, it does feel like everything’s been gone for a long time.

Grimm will be back this Friday, Oct 26.

[quote=“Slowhand” post=127955]

[quote=“celestial_being” post=127949]I find it interesting that this made it to Netflix but Grimm did not. I noticed that, after seeing that Netflix dropped a whole bunch of kick-ass stuff for streaming. :frowning:

I might have to check this out since Grimm, and all the other fall shows, seem to be off on hiatus more than they’re on (hyperbole, but it feels like it).[/quote]

Between the baseball playoffs and the debates, it does feel like everything’s been gone for a long time.

Grimm will be back this Friday, Oct 26.[/quote]

It seems we’ve barely started the fall season with 4 debate interruptions. I’m just glad ABC Sundays hasn’t been touched. That’s the bulk of my fall viewing.

most of the shows i watch are in mid season limbo or takeing a back seat to baseball and the debates. then there are the ones that got the ax. there are only two shows that have been airing on a regular schedual. sons of anarchy and once apon a time. thank god for anime or there wouldn’t be anything to watch.

Good News!

Glad that they aren’t leaving it with such

a twisted Peter Pan!

[quote=“LadyOfWicca” post=141192]Good News!

Glad that they aren’t leaving it with such

a twisted Peter Pan!

Have we even seen him?

###Cancer Gets LOST Auction Brings Items From Once Upon a Time
August 15, 2016 3:59 pm

###August 16, 2016: This Week on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD (Once Upon a Time: Season Five)
AUGUST 16, 2016

###Once Upon a Time: New Residents Throw Storybrooke Into Emotional Turmoil
September 23, 2016 9:30 am

###Once Upon A Time: Hyde Has A Warning
September 24, 2016 9:00 am

###Best Lines on TV This Week: Once Upon a Time
October 1, 2016 12:00 pm

###Once Upon A Time Preview: Can Hook Save Belle And Help Emma?
October 2, 2016 11:00 am

###Once Upon a Time Jennifer Morrison, Creators on Emma’s Evolution, What’s to Come
October 8, 2016 2:30 pm