Otakon News

[quote=tonka]
1 - Of course they’ll dub it. They haven’t released a sub-only title yet, and don’t see them doing so…ever. (my opinion)[/quote]

I certainly hope so, and I agree that the odds are very high that they will but I’d by lying if I said I weren’t a tiny bit concerned about it joining RAINBOW as a streaming-only, never dubbed show.

[quote=tonka]
5 - Maybe licensor agreement/requirements, a chance for Sunrise to shine…who knows?[/quote]

I can see that: the Sunrise panel didn’t have too much else. A fair bit of their stuff that they showed I had seen way back when in 2011! The only other notable events there were the gaffe with the Japanese guest and the “Angelic Layer Gundam”.

I saw Angel Links way back when I was first getting in to anime. Probably the first dub I saw for a non-televised anime and I only saw that because the main character’s voice was really shrill in the Japanese IMO. In retrospect I don’t know why I tried it subbed when I saw Outlaw Star dubbed and first. I guess how bad you find it to be depends on how much of an Outlaw Star fan you are. I wonder what someone who saw this before Outlaw Star would think of it. Maybe someone who liked OS would like this one but I can’t even imagine it.

You know what would be Funi, if Funi :laugh: blew their licensing budget on all of these, specifically the top three series. Now that means they won’t have anything left for simulcasts/licensing for the rest of the year, and next as well.

Hmm…

With Titan locked in what else does Funi need? lol. :silly:

Which series do you mean by top three?

EDIT: I just found a strikingly similar post to this:
ANN forums
:blink:.

[quote=“celestial_being”]
With Titan locked in what else does Funi need? lol. [/quote]

Titan is good but imo it’s not as good as Yamato: 2199.

But that’s just me.

I can’t say I’ve seen anything related to SBY.

Closest I’ve gotten was Nadesico :smiley:

Now that the Sunrise shows are out of the way, time to go after Bandai’s Bones shows.

I was surprised that they didn’t as they brought up the President of Bones (and had a hilarious translator gaffe) at the Funimation panel but he didn’t do anything besides give a blurb about Astral Ocean.

Though what Bones shows did/does Bandai have that I want?

[quote=“tonka”]
Now that the Sunrise shows are out of the way, time to go after Bandai’s Bones shows.[/quote]

The only one I can think of that really anyone has been clamoring for is Gosick.
And for that one, you have to look to Kadokawa.

-edit-
Just thought, unless your talking about Eureka Seven.
Which seems to be a shoe in for a FUNi pick up at some point, especially since it’s a Showgate title, just like AO, and AO FUNi already has.

[quote=“TheCoffeeGod”]

[quote=“tonka”]
Now that the Sunrise shows are out of the way, time to go after Bandai’s Bones shows.[/quote]

The only one I can think of that really anyone has been clamoring for is Gosick.
And for that one, you have to look to Kadokawa.

-edit-
Just thought, unless your talking about Eureka Seven.
Which seems to be a shoe in for a FUNi pick up at some point, especially since it’s a Showgate title, just like AO, and AO FUNi already has.[/quote]

There’s Scrapped Princess as well, but depending on what the top secret Bones remake Anime is, they may not license the one they are remaking out.

Since this might actually effect FUNi’s release of this (depending on what they’re doing with it) and since there really isn’t anywhere else to put this…

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-20/code-geass/akito-the-exiled-no.3-delayed-until-further-notice

[quote][size=5]Code Geass: Akito the Exiled #3 Delayed Until Further Notice[/size]

posted on 2014-03-20 23:56 EDT

The official website for the Code Geass: Akito the Exiled anime project announced on Thursday that the third installment is delayed until further notice. The chapter was scheduled to premiere this spring.

The site noted that the director and rest of the staff is working diligently on the third chapter. The site adds that the staff wants to ensure the wait for the fourth installment’s screenings will be as short as possible.

The second installment shipped on Blu-ray and DVD on December 25, after being delayed from last fall. [/quote]

August 12, 2014

There is another Otakon thread around, but it was for the specific year of 2013, so I thought I should make a thread for all Otakons to come so a new thread does not need to be made every year. :stuck_out_tongue:

[size=16]Otakon Website[/size]

This thread is for you to talk about your experiences, share any pictures or videos, and discuss anything Otakon-related. :slight_smile:

This year it was Otakon 2014 in Baltimore, Maryland. A few interesting happenings this year, but it does not seem to be quite that many. [spoiler]

- Almost daily baseball games made sure there was always at least one time per day when everything was next to impossible to get to outside. :pinch: 

- The locals were always so interesting. The street performers were probably my favorite.

- A Nagato Yuki cosplayer, dressed in the wizard cape and hat, joined a jam session with a beat-boxer, trumpeter, and pianist with her bass guitar. B)  Best performance ever.

- I hunted for all of the Touhou cosplayers I could possibly find; and I took a picture with every last one, earning me a reputation with the group (though the kind of reputation it was I am not sure).

- Regardless of good or bad rep, I hung out with the Touhou/my people and had a blast talking with them. :cheer:  It took up most of my time.

- Chasing down cosplayers for photos will always be so entertaining. :silly: 

- Forgetting you have a wall scroll sticking out of your backpack can make for some awkward and embarrassing moments. :blush: 

- Every panel I went to was always so much fun, especially the Otakon Game Show.

- Do not sprint around the convention center just after drinking half a gallon of chocolate milk.

[/spoiler]

I did not purchase that much this time around. Though, I mostly attribute that to their not having much of what I wanted (or maybe I am just being stingy). ^_^; [spoiler]

- Cowboy Bebop t-shirt ($20)

- Fullmetal Alchemist Transmutation t-shirt ($20)

- Gurren Lagann Symbol wall scroll ($17)

- Girl Got Game [10] ($10)

[/spoiler]

Contrast to (or a reason for) the relative low level of incidents are the plethora of pictures I took. I hope you all enjoy me making a fool of myself this year as well. :blush: :silly: I was so much more confident in myself this year all around, which made me very happy, and I am sure that got me many more pictures. ^ω^ http://s744.photobucket.com/user/Iron_Tager/library/Me/Otakon%202014

I also heard from a couple of other con-goers that the convention was going to be moving to D.C. in the next two years while the Baltimore convention center gets remodeled. I have not looked into it, but that would be kind of interesting. :huh:

Yep, sadly Otakon will move to DC in 2017 and be there for, supposedly, 5 years. I wouldn’t bet on the BCC being renovated during that time, however. I wonder about the Hilton’s future when Otakon leaves.

Nah, the dealers’ room was pretty low on merch. It’s the same stuff that they’ve been toting around the cons for the past 18 months or so. Except for Kirito merch being largely sold out and a lot more Titan shirts and bags, the dealers room in 2014 was selling the same stuff as it was in 2013. I was having major deja vu and didn’t buy much of anything as most everything that I wanted, I already had.

I did notice a large Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere figure (the box was about 2’ tall, though the figure itself was <12"), which was surprising, but I decided to abstain as it didn’t have a price (was 160+ online) and I wasn’t set up to lug such a huge box around the con with me.

Sadly this marks another year with Funimation not having any cosplayers and cardboard cutouts to take pictures with. They ought to have brought the cardboard figures back :frowning:

Great pics, Tager! Thanks for sharing!

So, Otakon decided to mail out badges (after last year’s fiasco) but to get in on it, you have to select the option before April 30th?

7.9% of their budget goes to Otakon Vegas, and now Otakon is hiking its rates again? Dunno about that as it leads me to suspect that Otakon attendees are subsidizing Otakon Vegas.

Looks like I missed some otakon developments.

[size=16]Otakon 2015 Industry Panel Schedule[/size]
July 24 - July 26, 2015
Baltimore Convention Center
Baltimore, Maryland, USA

2015 Guests

Convention Panel Coverage
http://bayoab.info/live/live2.php?panel=0

LiveStream coverage

Aniplex USA @ Otakon 2015

Crunchyroll @ Otakon 2015

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/07/18/crunchyroll-is-bringing-wooser-sama-to-otakon
July 19, 2015 12:15am CDT

Discotek Media FB
July 21, 2015

This weekend is OTAKON! We will have a booth in the industry area of the dealer room. Booth number is IND008. The Robot Carnival DVD will be there along with the complete Monster Farm Japanese Monster Rancher collection. And lots of other titles!

Also we will have an industry panel hosted by Brady Hartel and Mike Toole on Sunday at 12:45. They will show off some work in progress titles and even announce some new licenses!

[size=16]Pony Canyon Announces Otakon Panels and Screenings Schedule[/size]
Jul 22nd 2015