AN Forums

Persona (franchise)

It’s possible. Crossdressers are not unknown in anime.

I watched the rest of the series on disc. At least I got the see the true ending that us VOD people won’t get. I even have a copy of the game for my PS2.

I wish I could get a copy of the game, now that I’ve seen most of the show, but short of emulating the PS2 on PC I wouldn’t really be able to play it. Thx Sony for that. I can, and have, played the P4 fighting game but I’m not very impressed with it as a fighter; it just isn’t the same.

I think that this might just be the best dub that Bang/Zoom has ever done. Sentai must be doing something with its Bang/Zoom dubs as the B/Z dubs that they commission have been consistently more awesome than the ones that they have not (eg:PMMM).

In Persona, the main character doesn’t have much of a personality, solves the problems of other people (who are ludicrously allegorical) & has virtually no flaws, yet I find him entertaining, the show is hilarious and I don’t dislike the show because of him, as I essentially did with shows like SAO & Clannad.

I wonder why that is? I’d say it’s the dub, but that can’t be right.

You can get a copy of the PS2 game new for around $20, and PS2s are pretty cheap now. Brand new, they’re around $150 or so, but used on ebay, you can find them for a decent price. Still, doing all that just to play one game may be a little much.

At least it’s cheaper than getting a Vita and buying that version.

I’m sure the game may eventually find its way to the PSN store like Persona 3.

I really like the dub, but I take issue in the fact that not all of the voice actors are the same. It’s really only noticeable with Chie, who sounds nothing like she does in Persona 4.

I could, but it’d be brutal as I don’t have the ability to play the game since the PS3 I have doesn’t play PS2 games & I don’t have much provision for non-digital video input (unless its VGA). I tried, when I still had a PS2, hooking the PS2 to my monitor by using a cheapy Component->USB adaptor, but it sucked. Really sucked. I thought that Sony had made a PS2->VGA adapter for games (like SEGA had), but it seems that theirs is really only for Linux :frowning:

I guess I could buy the game & emulate it, but that doesn’t feel right to me.

Removing the PS2 emulator from the PS3 was a crap move on Sony’s part. I don’t think I would have bought a PS3 if it weren’t for the fact I could play all my PS2 games on it.

I think you can get RCA to VGA adapters, but I don’t know how good they are, and how much they cost.

You could try finding an old fat PS3 on ebay. I know the fat 40gb models do, and I’m pretty sure the fat 80gb models do as well.

Anyway, the P4 fighting game is really no indication of what Persona 4 is actually like. For one thing, the fighting game includes a bunch of Persona 3 characters that you won’t ever see in Persona 4.

Which is still a bit of a let-down for me, watching Persona 4, but Persona 4 has been so enjoyable that I’ve gotten over the coolest (IMO) characters from the fighter not being in the show. I’m also surprised at the liberties taken in the dub; I thought that only Sentai could play that “fast & loose” with the dub script & pull off an great dub.

I guess I’ll have to get another PS3 at some point, as the PS4 is incompatible with PS3 games, so I hear :frowning:

I wish Atlus could put these games onto Steam or something, though I realize that porting non-Xbox games to the PC presents a slew of challenges. I’ll always have a reason to have a PC hooked up, but I’ll run out of space if I have to have a bunch of old consoles hooked up.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-02/persona-4-golden-gets-tv-anime-by-a-1-pictures-in-july
[size=20]Persona 4 Golden Gets TV Anime by A-1 Pictures in July[/size]
posted on 2014-05-02 11:56 EDT

New anime to retell 1st anime’s events with new character Marie

The staff and cast of the role-playing games by Atlus, including voice actors Daisuke Namikawa (Persona 4’s Yū Narukami) and Tomokazu Seki (Kanji Tatsumi), announced during Friday’s “Dark Hour TV ~Persona Hour~” live program on Niconico that a television anime adaptation of its Persona 4 The Golden (Persona 4 Golden) PS Vita video game has been green-lit. Persona 4 The Golden: The Animation will premiere in July.

According to the staff, the new anime will retell the events of the first television anime series, but will include new character Marie.

The official website outlines the story:

[quote]Spring. A rural town, far removed from the city, that spends its time peacefully. A boy arrives at Yaso Inaba Station, where the cherry blossom petals are falling. His name is Yū Narukami. Due to his family’s situation, he moves to Inaba to live with his uncle, and attends Yasogami High School.

From there, his school life begins: The shopping mall after school. The serial murders happening in the town. The Midnight Channel that comes on late at night…

What days are waiting for Yū and his friends “this time”?[/quote]
The program announced the staff for the anime:
Chief Director: Seiji Kishi
Director: Tomohisa Taguchi
Original Character Design/Persona Design: Shigenori Soejima
Persona Design Concept: Kazuma Kaneko
Character Design: Yuu Shindou
Music: Shoji Meguro, Tetsuya Kobayashi
Series Script Composition: Jun Kumagai
Animation Production: A-1 Pictures

The program also announced the cast, which will reunite the game and television anime’s cast:
Daisuke Namikawa as Yū Narukami

Showtaro Morikubo as Yosuke Hanamura
Yui Horie as Chie Satonaka
Ami Koshimizu as Yukiko Amagi
Tomokazu Seki as Kanji Tatsumi
Rie Kugimiya as Rise Kujikawa
Kappei Yamaguchi as Kuma (Teddy)
Romi Park as Naoto Shirogane
Unshou Ishizuka as Ryōtarō Dōjima
Akemi Kanda as Nanako Dōjima
Mitsuaki Madono as Tōru Adachi
Isamu Tanonaka as Igor (special performance)
Sayaka Ohara as Margaret
Kana Hanazawa as Marie

Kana Hanazawa will reprise her role from the Persona 4 The Golden PS Vita game.

This week happens to be Golden Week, a string of Spring holidays in Japan.

Persona 4 The Golden is an expanded PlayStation Vita port of the original Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 video game that was released for the PlayStation 2 in 2008. It features remastered visuals and additional voiced dialogue. New content also include an online dungeon rescue feature, new Personas, and a new opening animation sequence with a song composed by Shoji Meguro.

The game shipped in Japan in June 2012, and Atlus released the game in North America under the title Persona 4 Golden later that year.

The original Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 game already inspired a television anime, Persona 4 The Animation, that AIC ASTA produced from October 2011 to March 2012. Sentai licensed the anime for North America, and The Anime Network streamed the anime as it aired in Japan.

Considering how AoA has been handling all Aniplex titles these days, I doubt Sentai will wind up picking this up.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-02/persona-4-golden-the-animation-promo-story-unveiled
[size=20]Persona 4 The Golden Animation’s Promo Video, Story Unveiled[/size]
posted on 2014-05-02 12:55 EDT

July anime to run in Animeism block on MBS/TBS with Kana Hanazawa as Marie

A promotional video for the Persona 4 the Golden Animation (Persona 4 Golden The Animation) series ran during Friday’s “Dark Hour TV ~Persona Hour~” live program on Niconico.

[video no longer exists]

[quote]Spring. A rural town, far removed from the city, that spends its time peacefully. A boy arrives at Yaso Inaba Station, where the cherry blossom petals are falling. His name is Yū Narukami. Due to his family’s situation, he moves to Inaba to live with his uncle, and attends Yasogami High School.

From there, his school life begins: The shopping mall after school. The serial murders happening in the town. The Midnight Channel that comes on late at night…

The anime will premiere this July during the Animeism programming block on MBS, TBS, and their affiliates.

Before directing this new anime series, Tomohisa Taguchi worked on the opening and the important parts of specific episodes in the first Persona 4 The Animation series. Those episodes include the final episode, the main characters’ time at the open-air school in episode 8, and their summer vacation in episode 14. The first anime’s Seiji Kishi will serve as chief director of the new anime.

Shoji Meguro is returning from the game series and the first anime to compose the music of the new series alongside Tetsuya Kobayashi, a collaborator of his since Persona 3 the Movie #2 Midsummer Knight’s Dream. Series script supervisor Jun Kumagai worked on the scenario of every episode of the first series. Character designer Yuu Shindou worked as a key animator on episodes of the first series.

The new anime reunites the cast from the game and first television anime, including Daisuke Namikawa as the main character Yū Narukami. Joining the cast is Kana Hanazawa, who will reprise her role of Marie from the Persona 4 Golden PS Vita game.

[quote=“TheCoffeeGod”]
Considering how AoA has been handling all Aniplex titles these days, I doubt Sentai will wind up picking this up.[/quote]
If AoA goes proprietary on this then at least they’ll have the easy option of dub cast continuity (though what would they do with the Baker character?). Assuming that they dub it, since on their Persona 3 movie import they couldn’t even be bothered to subtitle everything.

I wonder if this will even be worth it. It sounds like it could be more like a TV compilation movie with some new footage added in. Initially I expected it to be an Index/Railgun sort of situation but now I have my doubts.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-02/persona-magazine-to-resume-publication

[size=20]Persona Magazine to Resume Publication[/size]
posted on 2014-05-02 14:45 EDT

Magazine previously ran from 2011-2012

Atlus games announced during Friday’s “Dark Hour TV ~Persona Hour~” live program on Niconico that Persona Magazine will resume publication on July 12, 2014. ASCII Media Works previously published the magazine monthly between 2011 and 2012, and special issue was released in 2013 to reveal Persona 5.

The magazine ran a regular column that delved into the world, characters, and game system of the Persona game franchise. Other sections covered the latest information on upcoming titles, and leading artists contributed “tribute illustrations” in every issue. The magazine also included Shūji Sokabe’s Persona 3 manga and a spinoff of the Persona 4 manga.

Atlus also announced the anime adaptation of the Persona 4 Golden PlayStation Vita game on the program.

[size=20]Persona 4 the Golden Animation Anime’s 2nd TV Spot Narrated by Nanako[/size]
posted on 2014-06-25 06:47 EDT
Daughter of detective wants to sing Junes song with protagonist in commercial for anime premiering July 10

Aniplex began streaming the second TV spot for the Persona 4 the Golden Animation television anime on Wednesday. The commercial features narration by Nanako Dōjima (Akemi Kanda).

[quote]Hello! I’m Nanako Dōjima. Pretty soon, my family is going to get bigger!
Text: Finally, they’re coming back!
Nanako: I want to sing songs together. Everyday young life Junes (Every day’s great at your Junes)! Golden![/quote]

The cast will star:

[details=Daisuke Namikawa as Yū Narukami]
[/details]

[details=Showtaro Morikubo as Yōsuke Hanamura]
[/details]

[details=Yui Horie as Chie Satonaka]
[/details]

[details=Ami Koshimizu as Yukiko Amagi]
[/details]

[details=Kappei Yamaguchi as Kuma (Teddie)]
[/details]

[details=Kana Hanazawa as Marie]
[/details]

The cast will additionally feature:
Sayaka Ohara as Margaret

The anime will premiere in Japan on July 10.

Before directing this new anime series, Tomohisa Taguchi worked on the opening and the important parts of specific episodes in the first ‘Persona 4 The Animation’ series. Those episodes include the final episode, the main characters’ time at the open-air school in episode eight, and their summer vacation in episode fourteen. The first anime’s Seiji Kishi will serve as chief director of the new anime.

Shoji Meguro is returning from the game series and the first anime to compose the music of the new series alongside Tetsuya Kobayashi, a collaborator of his since ‘Persona 3 the Movie #2 Midsummer Knight’s Dream’. Series script supervisor Jun Kumagai worked on the scenario of every episode of the first series. Character designer Yuu Shindou worked as a key animator on episodes of the first series.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-06-20/persona-4-the-golden-animation-anime-1st-tv-spot-narrated-by-chie-yukiko/.75769

[size=20]Persona 4 the Golden Animation Anime’s 1st TV Spot Narrated by Chie, Yukiko[/size]
posted on 2014-06-20 09:30 EDT

Chie expresses her desire for a meaty protagonist in commercial for anime premiering July 10

Aniplex began streaming the first TV spot for the Persona 4 the Golden Animation television anime on Friday. The commercial features narration by characters Chie Satonaka (voiced by Yui Horie) and Yukiko Amagi (Ami Koshimizu).

[video no longer exists]

[quote]Chie: Hey hey, they say that a transfer student is coming soon!
Yukiko: I wonder what kind of person it is…
Chie: I want a person who loves meat, and is able to stand bravely on a mountain of meat and oil and meat!
Yukiko: That’s not even a person anymore, that’s just meat.
Chie: Ooh, that’s Golden.[/quote]

The cast will star:

[details=Daisuke Namikawa as Yū Narukami]
[/details]

[details=Showtaro Morikubo as Yōsuke Hanamura]
[/details]

[details=Yui Horie as Chie Satonaka]
[/details]

[details=Ami Koshimizu as Yukiko Amagi]
[/details]

[details=Kappei Yamaguchi as Kuma (Teddie)]
[/details]

[details=Kana Hanazawa as Marie]
[/details]

The cast will additionally feature:
Sayaka Ohara as Margaret

Before directing this new anime series, Tomohisa Taguchi worked on the opening and the important parts of specific episodes in the first Persona 4 The Animation series. Those episodes include the final episode, the main characters’ time at the open-air school in episode eight, and their summer vacation in episode fourteen. The first anime’s Seiji Kishi will serve as chief director of the new anime.

Shoji Meguro is returning from the game series and the first anime to compose the music of the new series alongside Tetsuya Kobayashi, a collaborator of his since Persona 3 the Movie #2 Midsummer Knight’s Dream. Series script supervisor Jun Kumagai worked on the scenario of every episode of the first series. Character designer Yuu Shindou worked as a key animator on episodes of the first series.

The new anime reunites the cast from the game and first television anime, including Daisuke Namikawa as the main character Yū Narukami. Joining the cast is Kana Hanazawa, who will reprise her role of Marie from the Persona 4 Golden PS Vita game.

[size=20]Persona 4 the Golden Animation’s English-Subtitled Trailer Posted[/size]
posted on 2014-06-26 00:00 EDT
Latest Persona 4 TV anime to premiere on July 10

Aniplex of America opened the official English website for Persona 4 the Golden Animation on Wednesday and began streaming an English-subtitled trailer. (The website is a virtual match for the anime’s Japanese website, only translated.) The subtitled trailer first debuted on the Aniplex Live Show earlier in the evening.

The series will begin streaming on the Aniplex Channel, Hulu, Crunchyroll and Daisuki services on July 10.

Aniplex USA describes the story:

[quote]Spring. Far from the city, time flows peacefully in this rural town.
As the cherry blossoms scatter in the wind, a young man named Yu Narukami steps off the train at Yasoinaba Station. Yu has come to this town, where his uncle lives, for family reasons; he will be transferring into the local high school, Yasogami High.

And so begins his school life…
The shopping mall after school. A series of murders taking place in town. The Midnight Channel, airing late at night…

What lies in store for Yu and his friends “this time around?”[/quote]

The cast will star Daisuke Namikawa as Yū Narukami, Showtaro Morikubo as Yōsuke Hanamura, Yui Horie as Chie Satonaka, Ami Koshimizu as Yukiko Amagi, Kappei Yamaguchi as Kuma (Teddie), and Kana Hanazawa as Marie.

Before directing this new anime series, Tomohisa Taguchi worked on the opening and the important parts of specific episodes in the first Persona 4 The Animation series. The first anime’s Seiji Kishi will serve as chief director of the new anime.

[size=16]Aniplex USA to Stream Aldnoah.Zero, Persona 4 the Golden Animation[/size]
posted on 2014-06-25 22:40 EDT
Series to stream on Aniplex Channel, Hulu, Crunchyroll, Daisuki services

[size=20]Persona 4 the Golden Animation’s 3rd TV Spot Narrated by Dōjima, Adachi[/size]
posted on 2014-07-02 21:05 EDT
Adachi asks Dōjima about his high school life in ad for anime premiering July 10

Aniplex began streaming the third TV spot for the Persona 4 the Golden Animation television anime on Wednesday. The commercial features narration by characters Ryōtarō Dōjima (voiced by Unshou Ishizuka) and Tōru Adachi (Mitsuaki Madono).

[video is terminated]

[quote]Adachi: I heard, Dojima! You’re going to be taking care of your nephew, right?
Dojima: Yeah. Get along with them, OK?
Adachi: What~? Oh, but they’re high school students. what kind of high school life did you have, Dojima?
Dojima: If I had to describe it in one word… It was golden.[/quote]

Aniplex USA will stream the series on Aniplex Channel, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Daisuki as it airs in Japan and describes the story:

[quote]Spring. Far from the city, time flows peacefully in this rural town.
As the cherry blossoms scatter in the wind, a young man named Yu Narukami steps off the train at Yasoinaba Station. Yu has come to this town, where his uncle lives, for family reasons; he will be transferring into the local high school, Yasogami High.

And so begins his school life…
The shopping mall after school. A series of murders taking place in town. The Midnight Channel, airing late at night…

What lies in store for Yu and his friends “this time around?”[/quote]
The cast will star Daisuke Namikawa as Yū Narukami, Showtaro Morikubo as Yōsuke Hanamura, Yui Horie as Chie Satonaka, Ami Koshimizu as Yukiko Amagi, Kappei Yamaguchi as Kuma (Teddie), and Kana Hanazawa as Marie.

Before directing this new anime series, Tomohisa Taguchi worked on the opening and the important parts of specific episodes in the first Persona 4 The Animation series. The first anime’s Seiji Kishi will serve as chief director of the new anime.

US also it seems cause it is on CR right now. :blink:

Igor and Margaret still as ugly as ever.

I’m still trying to figure out why she was still posting stuff in this thread and didn’t make a new thread for it in the Other Anime section, since The Golden isn’t licensed by Sentai, it’s licensed by AoA.

Probably because we have the other part of it and is weird not to have more… and you first mentioned it here and it is a sequel to the one TAN had on VOD…?