S23/Sentai Filmworks/Switchblade Pictures/Maiden Japan , etc PR, News, And Announcements - 2012/2014

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “TIME BOKAN: ROYAL REVIVAL”[/size]

HOUSTON, October 17, 2013 — Chaos reigns, robot parts rain down and villains are in pain in the wackiest race in the history of anime. But are you fan enough to beat them to the punch-line in Sentai Filmworks’ newest acquisition: Time Bokan: Royal Revival. This classic OVA series is directed by Akira Shigino and features character designs by Yoshitaka Amano (Vampire Hunter D, Amon Saga) with mecha designs by Kunio Okawara (Armored Trooper VOTOMS).

The Japanese public goes crazy when it’s announced that the beloved and long running classic anime Time Bokan will be remade. There’s just one problem: the original show was broken into multiple separate series featuring multiple teams of heroes pitted against multiple teams of almost identical villains, so how to choose which ones will star in the remake? Unwisely discarding the idea of a public opinion poll, the producers instead insanely opt for a race between the bad guys in their favorite mecha. Which might not be a completely bad idea, except for the fact that they’re all cheaters and saboteurs, and none of them have ever created a mech that didn’t eventually self destruct in an extremely violent fashion! In a race between these born losers, the only winner is the audience as the villains from Time Bokan, Yatterman, Zenderman, Otasukeman, Yattodetaman, Ippatsuman and Itadakiman compete for the dubious privilege of getting the **** beaten out of them once again! It’s Grand Theft Mecha Vs. Super Moron Kart as the baddies slam, bash and dirty trick each other to the finish in TIME BOKAN: ROYAL REVIVAL!

Time Bokan: Royal Revival will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2014.

About Sentai Filmworks
Sentai Filmworks celebrates its 5th Anniversary as one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, producing hit series like Persona 4, Girls und Panzer, Devil Survivor 2, Bodacious Space Pirates, Majestic Prince and High School of the Dead as well as high profile theatrical films such as Grave of the Fireflies, K-ON! and Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks’ programs are distributed through Ingram Entertainment, Diamond Comic Distributors, Section23Films and Waxworks through retailers Amazon, Best Buy, Fry’s, FYE, Hastings, Suncoast, The Right Stuf, Wal-Mart and other good and fine stores. Digital product offerings may be found at Amazon, Anime Network, Crunchyroll, Google Play, Hulu, iTunes, Netflix, PlayStation Network, Rovi, Samsung, Vudu, XBOX Marketplace and YouTube.

Per PR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “NON NON BIYORI”.[/size]

HOUSTON, October 24, 2013 — You’re never in the middle of nowhere as long as you’re with somebody special in Sentai Filmworks’ newest acquisition: Non Non Biyori. This charming 12 episode series is directed by Shinya Kawamo (Kokoro Connect) and features character designs by Mai Otsuka (Astarotte’s Toy) and series composition by Reiko Yoshida (Girls und Panzer).

When Hotaru Ichijo transfers from a school in Tokyo to the tiny little Asahigaoka Branch School in the rural countryside, she should be experiencing major culture shock. After all, there are only three other girls in the school, and none of them are even in the same grade as her. But she quickly finds herself adjusting to spending her time with first grader Renge and the Koshigaya sisters, Natsumi and Komari, who are in the seventh and eighth grade, respectively. And the Koshigaya’s older brother, the only male student, isn’t so hard to get along with either. Maybe it doesn’t hurt that Hotaru’s a little mature for her age, but there’s something about the laid back lifestyle that makes her feel right at home and comfortable. Even if it is 20 minutes by bicycle to the only place that sells comics and the video store is ten train stations away. It’s a big change from the big city, but there are still plenty of new adventures to look forward to as Hotaru learns that “home” really is where the heart is in NON NON BIYORI.

Non Non Biyori will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2014.

About Sentai Filmworks
Sentai Filmworks celebrates its 5th Anniversary as one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, producing hit series like Persona 4, Girls und Panzer, Devil Survivor 2, Bodacious Space Pirates, Majestic Prince and High School of the Dead as well as high profile theatrical films such as Grave of the Fireflies, K-ON! and Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks’ programs are distributed through Ingram Entertainment, Diamond Comic Distributors, Section23Films and Waxworks through retailers Amazon, Best Buy, Fry’s, FYE, Hastings, Suncoast, The Right Stuf, Wal-Mart and other good and fine stores. Digital product offerings may be found at Amazon, Anime Network, Crunchyroll, Google Play, Hulu, iTunes, Netflix, PlayStation Network, Rovi, Samsung, Vudu, XBOX Marketplace and YouTube.

Per PR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “MEGANEBU!” [/size]

HOUSTON, October 28, 2013 — WARNING! You may experience a strong urge to check your vision after watching Sentai Filmworks’ newest acquisition: MEGANEBU! This 12 episode series is directed by the up and coming Sobi Yamamoto (This Boy Can Fight Aliens) and features character designs by Atsuko Nakajima (Hakuoki) with series composition by Deco Akao (Mysterious Girlfriend X).

You don’t necessarily have to wear rose-colored glasses to get a better view of the world, you just have to wear glasses! At least, that’s the philosophy of Akira Soma, a high school student who breaks humanity into three kinds of people: those wear glasses, those who don’t and girls. After all, if two heads are better than one, then four eyes are clearly superior to two, right? And what other modern invention can serve as both medical aid and fashion accessory while keeping the sun out of one’s eyes and making 3D movies 3D? Akira’s focus on eyewear has so framed his thoughts that he’s formed a Glasses Club at Himaraya Third Technical High School and coerced all his glasses-wearing (and ridiculously good looking) friends to join. Fortunately childhood pal Yukiya, adoring Mitsuki, dreamy Takuma and non-corrective lens wearing Hayato are more than happy to share Akira’s vision of a bespectacled world, even if it sometimes means making a huge spectacle. You won’t believe what happens next when these sexy techs flex their specs in the series that’s guaranteed to hit the top of the eye charts: MEGANEBU!

MEGANEBU! will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2014.

About Sentai Filmworks
Sentai Filmworks celebrates its 5th Anniversary as one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, producing hit series like Persona 4, Girls und Panzer, Devil Survivor 2, Bodacious Space Pirates, Majestic Prince and High School of the Dead as well as high profile theatrical films such as Grave of the Fireflies, K-ON! and Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks’ programs are distributed through Ingram Entertainment, Diamond Comic Distributors, Section23Films and Waxworks through retailers Amazon, Best Buy, Fry’s, FYE, Hastings, Sam Goody, Suncoast, The Right Stuf, Wal-Mart and other good and fine stores. Digital product offerings may be found at Amazon, Anime Network, Crunchyroll, Google Play, Hulu, iTunes, Netflix, PlayStation Network, Rovi, Samsung, Vudu, XBOX Marketplace and YouTube.

So far, the following shows they’re being quiet about (if they got them, or going to get them)

Little Busters! Refrain - (Showgate)
Nagi no Asukara - (Showgate)
Strike the Blood - (Showgate)
Arpeggio of Blue Steel - (Showgate)

The lack any info on LBR is interesting.

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “LITTLE BUSTERS! REFRAIN”.[/size]
October 29, 2013 at 3:14pm

HOUSTON, October 29, 2013 — Lightning strikes twice in Sentai Filmworks’ newest acquisition: Little Busters! Refrain. Yoshiki Yamakawa (Maid Sama, Kill Me Baby) returns to direct this 26 follow up to the original series. Also returning are Haruko Iizuka, character design and Michiru Shimada, series composition.

Riki Naoe and his teammates have finally managed their goal of forming a complete baseball team for the Little Busters. Or have they, in fact re-united one? All along there has been something odd going on, a strange sense of déjà vu, and even as the Little Busters finally join together to become a working whole, the personal mysteries and idiosyncrasies that have permeated the school and games slowly begin to coalesce into something unexpected. For as the team falls into their roles, the pieces of the puzzle begin to fall into place. And as Riki begins to learn the secrets behind his narcolepsy, a stunning truth is about to be revealed, one that will change everything. Will the game continue into extra innings, or will it end in sudden death? Riki made the team and his teammates came, but the next pitch may throw everyone in LITTLE BUSTERS! REFRAIN!

Little Busters! Refrain is available now through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2014.

About Sentai Filmworks

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “LOG HORIZON”.[/size]
October 30, 2013 at 2:50pm

HOUSTON, October 30, 2013 — The game is on and the stakes are real in Sentai Filmworks’ newest acquisition: Log Horizon. This 25 episode swords and sorcery series based on the work of original author Mamare Touno (Maoyu) is directed by Shinji Ishihira (Fairy Tail) and features character designs by Mariko Ito with series composition by Toshizo Nemoto (Inu X Boku SS), sound direction by Shoji Hata (Kids on the Slope) and music by Yasuharu Takanashi (The Severing Crime Edge).

Imagine a MMORPG that has become a global phenomenon, immersing millions of players in its online fantasy world over eleven editions. But what happens when something goes terribly wrong with the twelfth expansion pack, and the hit “role playing game” becomes a deadly “real people in jeopardy” situation as 30,000 players suddenly find themselves pulled permanently into the game’s no longer fictional universe? Trapped in a nightmare where the monsters are real, there are no extra lives and each player’s death means a permanent game over, it quickly becomes clear to eight-year MMORPG veteran Shiroe that the tricks and cheats developed sitting at a keyboard won’t translate into the survival skills required to stay alive. The course of action is obvious: band together and pool talents for mutual protection. Although he’s never been a “real” leader, he’ll have to find the courage to take a small band of players, starting with his friend Naotsugu and the beautiful assassin Akatsuki, and form a new kind of guild. Heroes will be born, leaders will rise and a new legend will be forged as sword and sorcery becomes real in LOG HORIZON!

Log Horizon will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2014.

About Sentai Filmworks

Source: The Fandom Post

[quote=“Slowhand”]

Source: The Fandom Post[/quote]

Curious. The last Mardock Scramble film was released in January of last year. I thought that the original DVD of the first movie was also released in January of its year. IIRC only the Directors’ Cut BD of the first one was released in March of its year.

I also haven’t finished the second movie. I try, but every time the ridiculous cyber-dolphin scene cracks me up because it reminds me of the Kanye West spoof in South Park, “Gay Fish”, and I just can’t go on b/c I’m laughing too hard.

Also, apparently DLW dropped some hints at Bakuretsu Con that they will be announcing a “Big” license rescue next weekend at Animaine. However, there was a bit of a dispute over when it was said, and whether that was said at all. Make of this what you will.

Source: The Fandom Post

[quote=“dragonrider_cody”]Also, apparently DLW dropped some hints at Bakuretsu Con that they will be announcing a “Big” license rescue next weekend at Animaine. However, there was a bit of a dispute over when it was said, and whether that was said at all. Make of this what you will.

Source: The Fandom Post[/quote]

I’m not particularly excited. I can’t think of any particularly “big” titles that Sentai has rescued before nor any that aren’t already “rescued”; I think that their rescue efforts would be better spent rescuing the ADV releases that they let go to the likes of Discotek, Funimation & RightStuf.

Skimming that link, I see people speculating that this could be Berserk or Haruhi. Either would be better (and bigger) than what I was thinking but not something that would enthuse me, personally. Though since the thread also claims that BD rights were confirmed for this title that would seem to rule out Berserk and seems kinda pointless for Haruhi as that came out before the HD age (which, TBH, anime still isn’t in).

I’m gonna guess it’s going to be RahXephon.

In my dream, it’ll be Kino’s Journey and it’ll include the two movies, dubbed of course.

[quote=“tonka”]

In my dream, it’ll be Kino’s Journey and it’ll include the two movies, dubbed of course.[/quote]

Somebody has Rahxephon, whether Sentai nabbed it or ADV renewed it. It’s hard to say. Hopefully, the bluray will be coming to the US soon. I don’t know if he would have said “Big” if it was something from ADV like that. Of course, big is relative.

I could see it being Haruhi and Lucky Star, which I wouldn’t be surprised if they were bundled together.

Say it with me…

Record of Lodoss War

ya know it… :wink:

[quote=“tonka”]

In my dream, it’ll be Kino’s Journey and it’ll include the two movies, dubbed of course.[/quote]

Those left the Section23 domain?

If it were to be Rahxephon on BD then Sentai could remind Funimation how a bluray of a 4:3 show is supposed to look (ie:not beaten into a 16:9 format). Also, and more importantly, I could watch it at a real resolution (as DVD res is < 1/10th my screen res).

I’m hoping against Haruhi. I agree that Haruhi seems likely but I just don’t remember it being all that great of a series (especially since it wasted 8 episodes). Also reminds me of the somewhat infamous “bumblebee tuna” amv.

So, is there actually a big license rescue to be announced at Animaine?

https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/status/399008578867953664

I’m really curious as to what we will see announced. If the initial reports were correct and it’s a license that includes bluray, it could very well be Haruhi. Of course, some of the reports from that con were not correct, so it’s hard to say.

I’ve also been wondering if they may have picked up Azumanga Daioh. I think they might consider that a “big” rescue. It seems that ADV’s license has been expired for a little while now. Of course, it hasn’t come out on bluray in Japan yet, but Sentai has released a few properties on BD that didn’t have bluray releases in Japan yet. So who knows. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “NADIA, SECRET OF BLUE WATER”[/size]

HOUSTON, [DATE], 2013 — Sentai Filmworks is proud to announce its newest acquisition: Nadia, Secret of Blue Water. This 39 episode adventure classic from GAINAX (Neon Genesis Evangelion) will be available for the first time in high definition. The series is directed by Hideaki Anno (Neon Genesis Evangelion, His and Her Circumstances) and features character designs by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Royal Space Force ~ The Wings of Honnêamise) with sound direction by Katsunori Shimizu (Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee) and music by Shiro Sagisu (Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi).

The World’s Fair, Paris, 1889: a young inventor crosses paths with an enigmatic girl and her pet lion. Suddenly they find themselves pursued by a villainous trio intent upon stealing the magical Blue Water. Thus begins an epic adventure inspired by Jules Verne’s masterpiece 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Join Nadia and Jean as they travel the high seas in search of Nadia’s homeland and her past, their only clue the mysterious jewel Nadia wears. Can they unravel the Secret of the Blue Water before it is too late? Discover Nadia, Secret of Blue Water, the animated series beloved by millions, and find out for yourself!

Nadia, Secret of Blue Water will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release on bilingual DVD & BD to follow.

About Sentai Filmworks

More March releases.

ANIMAINE

Maria Holic Alive (Dubbed – DVD & BD)
Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water TV (DVD & BD)
UPOTTE! (Dubbed – DVD & BD)

So…what was the much-hyped mega announcement?