S23/Sentai Filmworks/Switchblade Pictures/Maiden Japan , etc PR, News, And Announcements - 2012/2014

For me, since I still haven’t seen all of NHK, I think the last Gonzo title of merit that I saw was, well…um…Witchblde?

I see that the lone Divergence Eve dvd @ RS has commentary. Will these commentary (ies>) be on the pending reissue?

It was just announced, we’ll have no idea until the Nov. solicitations come out later this month.

Per PR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “ROZEN MAIDEN ~ ZURÜCKSPULEN”[/size]

HOUSTON, July 6, 2013 — A single decision, a single change and the world becomes a complete different place. Or does it? Find out in Sentai Filmworks’ newest acquisition: Rozen Maiden ~ Zurückspulen! This 12 episode reimagining of the classic Rozen Maiden series is directed by Mamoru Hatakeyama (Sankarea) and features character designs by Kyuta Sakai (When They Cry ~ Higurashi), with series composition and sound direction by Tomomi Mochizuki (Touka Gettan) and music by Shinkichi Mitsumune (Rozen Maiden).

Time is a strange thing. In every moment, there are fleeting circumstances of opportunity, which if taken, can completely change the course of one’s life. And there are those who postulate that not only is each of these chains of events possible, but that there are parallel worlds where those events HAVE taken place. Which brings us to the story of Jun Sakurada… a Jun who chose NOT to turn the key in the back of the lifelike doll that mysteriously arrived at his house. A Jun who DIDN’T enter into a contract with the Rozen Maiden known as Shinku, and never met any of the other Rozen Maidens. Or, should we say, hasn’t met them YET. Because just as certain opportunities exist for only a moment, there are also threads of fate so strong that the very fabric universe can turn itself inside out in order to make them happen. One of which is the thread connecting Jun and Shinku. The events of the original ROZEN MAIDEN are rewritten, and the destiny of the characters rewound as a once lost spark is rekindled in ROZEN MAIDEN ~ ZURÜCKSPULEN!

Rozen Maiden ~ Zurückspulen will be available starting in July through select digital outlets and on home video in 2014.

About Sentai Filmworks
Sentai Filmworks celebrates its 5th Anniversary as one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, producing hit series like Persona 4, Girls und Panzer, Devil Survivor 2, Bodacious Space Pirates, Majestic Prince and High School of the Dead as well as high profile theatrical films such as Grave of the Fireflies, K-ON! and Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks’ programs are distributed through Ingram Entertainment, Diamond Comic Distributors, Section23Films and Waxworks through retailers Amazon, Best Buy, Fry’s, FYE, Hastings, Sam Goody, Suncoast, The Right Stuf, Wal-Mart and other good and fine stores. Digital product offerings may be found at Amazon, Anime Network, Crunchyroll, Google Play, Hulu, iTunes, Netflix, PlayStation Network, Rovi, Samsung, Vudu, XBOX Marketplace and YouTube.

[quote=“celestial_being”]
Meh. Access to a beaucoup of really cheesy anime that is hokier than stuff like Space Ghost and Birdman? I hope they got a good deal on this “special” deal because it sounds like a dud to me.[/quote]

I’ll take the Tatsunoko deal on a case by case basis, then buy the titles I’m interested in. Really can’t say *until we know what the other titles are going to be *.

If Super Dimension Fortress Macross is part of the deal, then Sentai better start talking to AnimEigo and get permission to use their Awesome Liner Notes that they included with the release they did of Macross 12 years ago.

Per PR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “FANTASISTA DOLL”[/size]

HOUSTON, July 6, 2013 — Play a winning hand with Sentai Filmworks’ newest acquisition: Fantasista Doll! This 12 episode series is directed by Hisashi Saito (Heaven’s Lost Property) and features character designs by Hiromi Kato (Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East, GUILTY CROWN) with sound direction by Yota Tsuruoka (Clannad) and music by Yasuharu Takanashi (Hell Girl).

No one ever knows what life has waiting in the cards for them, but for Uzume Uno, the surprises aren’t just in the cards but also in what comes out of them! Through a strange quirk of fate, this typical junior high school student finds herself in possession of a mysterious deck of cards from which five magical girls known as the Fantasista Dolls materialize! By playing the cards in different combinations, Uzume can equip the “Sistas” with an amazing variety of costumes and weapons. Which is going to come in extremely handy, as a new danger that only the Dolls can stop is coming to threaten the Earth! Will Uzume be able to deal with both the Dolls odd demands AND the fate of mankind resting on her shoulders? Or are the odds hopelessly stacked against her? With the future of everyone she knows and loves riding on her, Uzume’s going to have to learn how to play the hand she’s been dealt pretty quickly, because while she may know when to hold them, folding them isn’t going to be an option with the world at stake in FANTASISTA DOLL!

Fantasista Doll will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2014.

About Sentai Filmworks
Sentai Filmworks celebrates its 5th Anniversary as one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, producing hit series like Persona 4, Girls und Panzer, Devil Survivor 2, Bodacious Space Pirates, Majestic Prince and High School of the Dead as well as high profile theatrical films such as Grave of the Fireflies, K-ON! and Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks’ programs are distributed through Ingram Entertainment, Diamond Comic Distributors, Section23Films and Waxworks through retailers Amazon, Best Buy, Fry’s, FYE, Hastings, Sam Goody, Suncoast, The Right Stuf, Wal-Mart and other good and fine stores. Digital product offerings may be found at Amazon, Anime Network, Crunchyroll, Google Play, Hulu, iTunes, Netflix, PlayStation Network, Rovi, Samsung, Vudu, XBOX Marketplace and YouTube.

Per PR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “FATE/KALEID LINER PRISMA ILLYA”[/size]

HOUSTON, July 6, 2013 — In a universe filled with “what ifs” and “could have beens”, sometimes the same elements combine to produce something completely different. As they have in Sentai Filmworks’ newest acquisition: Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya! This mystical fantasy set in an alternate universe to the popular Fate/Stay Night franchise is directed by Shin Oonuma (Dusk maiden of Amnesia, ef ~ a tale of memories) and features character designs by Nozomi Ushijima, with series composition by Kenji Inoue and music by Tatsuya Katou.

Illyaviel von Einzbern seems like a normal school girl, but all that changes when a magic wand named Ruby decides that young Illya is the perfect choice to be her new “master.” On the plus side, that means Illya can use Ruby to gain magical powers. On the negative, Ruby’s previous owner, Rin Tosaka, isn’t exactly thrilled to be de-wanded, especially since she’s just accepted an assignment from the Wizard Zelretch to collect seven magical Class Cards holding legendary spirits inside. However, since the unbending wand is sticking to its decision, the only solution is for Illya to take up the task while Rin supervises. Meanwhile, another girl named Miyu has been chosen by the magic wand Sapphire as HER new master, much to the irritation of Sapphire’s previous master, Rin’s arch rival Luvia Edelfelt! Exactly what kind of plan are the wands conjuring up? It’s a mystical fantasy set in an alternate universe to the popular Fate/Stay Night franchise, in which some very familiar looking characters end up in some very different and completely unexpected situations! Prepare to be en-spelled as six magic-challenged maidens hit the road to adventure in Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya!

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2014.

About Sentai Filmworks

Per PR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16] SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “KINMOZA!”[/size]

HOUSTON, July 6, 2013 — The British are coming! The British are coming! Coming to Sentai Filmworks that is! Sentai’s latest acquisition is KINMOZA!, a 12 episode series directed by TENSHO, featuring character designs by Kazuyuki Ueta, with series composition by Yuniko Ayana, sound direction by Jin Aketagawa and music by Ruka Kawada.

When Shinobu was still in middle school, she had the amazing opportunity to study in England while living with a host family as an exchange student. And while that was several years ago and she still doesn’t do all that well in English class, Shinobu has had warm feelings for everything English ever since. So when Shinobu learns that the daughter of her host family, Alice Cartelet, is coming to stay with her and study in Japan, she’s thrilled. But will Alice be able to fit in with Shinobu’s Japanese schoolfriends, Youko and Aya? And how will the arrival of Shinobu’s old rival Karen, who’s half-English and half-Japanese, affect the potential culture clash? Every day is an adventure in international diplomacy and self discovery as a group of schoolgirls learn new lessons about each other and themselves in KIMOZA!

KINMOZA! will be available starting in July through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2014.

About Sentai Filmworks

[quote=“Series5Ranger”]

[quote=“celestial_being”]
Meh. Access to a beaucoup of really cheesy anime that is hokier than stuff like Space Ghost and Birdman? I hope they got a good deal on this “special” deal because it sounds like a dud to me.[/quote]

I’ll take the Tatsunoko deal on a case by case basis, then buy the titles I’m interested in. Really can’t say *until we know what the other titles are going to be *.[/quote]

I believe that it is possible that there is some “diamond in the rough” anime that could come to light from this deal. I don’t think that the odds of such happening are high.

About the only cause for hope I have is that the story for Gilgamesh was penned in the same time period as anime that this licensing deal potentially allows Sentai to bring to market. While the Gilgamesh anime didn’t come out until much, much later it does give me reason to hope that there is an anime buried deep in Tatsunoko’s vaults that at least tried to have a deeper plot/story than its contemporaries.

Tatsunoko did do the remake of Princess Resurrection. It would be nice to see that come over, though they likely don’t have international rights to it. Also, there was no time frame included in Sentai’s PR, so it could include classic and newer titles. Tatsunoko has several series from the past couple of season that don’t have homes yet, and they will be airing a new Gatchaman series as well.

Even though Madhouse “cheaped out” on the art for the other Princess Resurrection I still don’t think that the series will be the same without their art. Looking at the pix for the remake reminds me of the difference between Gunslinger Girl S1 and the (IMO) unwatchable Gunslinger Girl S2. But I’d give it “a fair shake” were it released here.

I’m focusing on their older stuff because, looking at the list of Tatsunoko works over on ANN, I don’t see anything remotely “modern” that is particularly exciting IMO (even including works that they’ve only been tangentially involved in) which is currently unlicensed, except for The SoulTaker and the Princess Resurrection that you mentioned. I hope that Tatsunoko has a bounty of kick-ass titles for Sentai to roll out that I don’t know about but I wouldn’t bet $ that they do.

Per PR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “SUNDAY WITHOUT GOD”[/size]

HOUSTON, July 7, 2013 — Sentai Filmworks is proud to announce its newest acquisition: Sunday Without God. This provocative 12 episode series is directed by Yuji Kumasawa (The Ambition of Oda Nobuna) and features character designs by Shinichi Miyamae with series composition by Tomoko Konparu (NANA), sound direction by Satoshi Motoyama (From the New World) and music by Hiromi Mizutani (Hell Girl).

15 years ago, the stories say, God abandoned the World, leaving the souls of the human race in limbo. No new lives are born, and no one can die. Yet people still age, while their bodies whither with the years. Into this strange new landscape come the Gravekeepers, charged with the task of bringing peace to those who cannot otherwise die. This is what Ai has always believed to be her destiny, taking care of the forty-seven empty graves that wait for the people of her village. However, Ai is wrong. Wrong about her destiny and wrong about what a Gravekeeper truly is. But the veil is only lifted from her eyes when a gun-wielding stranger comes into town, and fills the graves she has tended by murdering the people she has loved. And more shockingly, the man who has done this is the man Ai believes to be her father. And yet, in a world where no one can die, is Death truly the ultimate blessing? A journey unlike any other begins as Ai unlocks the secrets that begin on a SUNDAY WITHOUT GOD!

Sunday Without God will be available starting in July through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2014.

About Sentai Filmworks

here’s hoping that the show is good. It sounds like it has potential, that it could be what I ultimately add to my collection in the place of the lackluster Momo show. With only 12 eps I’m leery as too many series with potential fall short when only given 12 eps to play with.

Per PR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “WATAMOTE ~ NO MATTER HOW I LOOK AT IT, IT’S YOU GUYS’ FAULT I’M NOT POPULAR!”[/size]

HOUSTON, July 7, 2013 — It’s grand delusions, desperate measures and more than a few dates with destiny in Sentai Filmworks’ newest acquisition: WATAMOTE ~ No Matter How I Look At It, It’s You Guys’ Fault I’m Unpopular! This 12 episode series is directed by Shin Oonuma (Kokoro Connect) and features character designs by Hideki Furukawa with series composition by Takao Yoshioka (Demon King Daimao) and sound direction by Saotshi Motoyama (From the New World).

At the tender age of 15, Kuroki Tomoko has already dated dozens and dozens of boys and she’s easily the most popular girl around! The only problem is that absolutely none of that is real, and her perfect world exists only via dating games and romance shows. In fact, the sad truth is that she gets tongue tied just talking to people, and throughout middle school she’s only had one actual friend. All of which makes Kuroki’s entrance into the social pressure cooker of high school a new and special kind of hell. Because while Kuroki desperately wants to be popular, she’s actually worse off than she would be if she was completely clueless as to how to go about it. After all, the things that work in “otome” games rarely play out the same way in reality, especially when the self-appointed “leading lady” isn’t the paragon she thinks she is. There’s not much gain and plenty of pain ahead, but even if it happens again and again, there’s always someone else to blame in WATAMOTE ~ No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys’ Fault I’m Not Popular!

WATAMOTE ~ No Matter How I Look At It, It’s You Guys’ Fault I’m Unpopular! will be available starting in July through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2014.

About Sentai Filmworks

I’ll just add this little end piece here from todays AX announcement recap, since I have some specula to go with it.

My specula on this being: Kaiji
Since both seasons of it got added to CR’s catalog titles this season.
Which I think would be the first ntv license Sentai has ever picked up.
But what makes it even more interesting is, Gatchaman Crowds is another ntv series on CR for this season and with Sentai’s recent announcement of the complete original Gatchaman series (which was probably part of their Tatsunoko deal), that raises the chance even more, as it might have been a bundle deal for Gatchaman Crowds.

Per PR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “YUMERIA”.[/size]

HOUSTON, July 16, 2013 — Sentai Filmworks is pleased to announce its newest acquisition: Yumeria! This 12 episode series is directed by Keitaro Motonaga (Majikoi ~ Oh! Samurai Girls, Majestic Prince) and features character designs by Shinobu Nishioka (Devil Lady) with sound direction by Hiromi Kikuta (Neo Angelique Abyss) and music by Kazuhiro Nagaoka.

It’s one thing to wake up from a dream and be a little confused, but on his 16th birthday Tomokazu Mikuri wakes up WITH a dream, right next to the strange girl that he’d just been dreaming of! Weirder yet, his hot older cousin, Nanase, takes the new addition to the household perfectly in stride and enrolls her in Tomokazu’s high school, despite the fact that the girl can only say one word: “Mone.” But things get totally out of control when Tomokazu discovers that he can take others back and forth to Mone’s dream world, where his new found abilities may be the key to stopping a nightmarish invasion! Faster than you can say “Harem Anime,” Tomokazu’s two worlds collide as girls from his “real” world join with those from the dream world to take on the evil forces of the Feydooms! But can a 16-year-old nobody really lead a super hero team, stop the bad guys, save the world(s,) and/or get the girl(s) in the end? It’s the kind of thing that only happens in dreams, but when the whole world’s a dream world, anything might be possible in YUMERIA!

Yumera will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release on bilingual DVD later this year.

About Sentai Filmworks

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “DIVERGENCE EVE”.[/size]

HOUSTON, July 18, 2013 — Sentai Filmworks is pleased to announce its newest acquisition: Divergence Eve! This 26 episode sci-fi epic is overseen by chief director Hiroshi Negishi (Sonic Soldier Borgman TV, Tenchi Universe TV) and features character designs by Toshinari Yamashita (Burn Up W) with sound direction by Kouji Tsujitani (Fate / stay night TV) and music by Yousuke Houga.

In the early 21st century, the discovery of the first wormhole made faster than light travel possible. However, what promised to be a gateway to the stars also proved to be a Pandora’s Box, and the process of jumping through space via parallel universes unleashed terrifying consequences. Now, a quarter millennia later, the deep space outpost Watcher’s Nest must stand on guard, defending the vanguard of humanity against attacks by the monstrous Ghoul, who emerge from alternate time streams and turn their victims into the living undead horrors known as Necromancers. For newly arriving cadets Misaki, Luxandra, Susanna and Kiri, it’s going to be an assignment in Hell as they train to become members of the elite Seraphim Squadron. Because this is a war mankind has been losing, and a new, top secret plan to take the fight back to the Ghoul may end up costing them their minds, lives and even their humanity. At the edge of known space, fighting an enemy from beyond time, the battle to keep the final frontier from becoming mankind’s final resting place has begun in DIVERGENCE EVE!

Divergence Eve will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release on bilingual DVD later this year.

About Sentai Filmworks

What is an “ilingual DVD”? :smiley:

Here’s hoping that they preserve the commentary tracks from the original release. I wish I could just take it for granted that they’d include them but I’ve learned that isn’t the case…for some “reason”.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=675177985842650&set=a.562082680485515.145555.111004232260031&type=1

[quote]Sentai Filmworks

Hey guys! I’m very happy to announce that Little Busters! WILL be receiving the Blu-ray treatment, and is expected to release in November, the same time as the DVD. Yay! [/quote]

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SWITCHBLADE PICTURES LOCKS UP INMATE 611 PTS. 1 & 2[/size]

HOUSTON, July 23, 2013— Switchblade Pictures returns to the wild world of Japanese Women In Prison films with the girls in chains sagas HELLHOLE: INMATE 611 and HELLCAGE: INMATE 611 Pt. 2 (Joshû 611: onna-tachi no yakata and Joshû 611: onna-tachi no gyakushû.) A pair of twisted morality plays with the moral “crime does not pay… unless you’re a lecherous prison guard,” both films were directed by Toshikazu Katsu, from screenplays by Takeshi Kunimi. Of more interest to genre fans, however, is the “Most Wanted” list of AV actresses and models who go directly to jail to brave the brutal gauntlet of bondage in the Big House, with both films sharing the lithesome lineup of cellblock sisters Kiuchi Akira, Nemoto Harumi , Kamon Youko, Asada Yoshimi and Mizutani Kei.

It’s called the House of Evils, where beasts in human flesh prowl the corridors and the most dangerous residents aren’t the luscious inmates, but the predatory guards. For the crime of assaulting her lover, Mizushima Saya has been sentenced to three years here, in the most brutal prison facility in Japan. It wasn’t supposed to be a life sentence, but unless the woman now know as Inmate 611can learn how to hold her own against both the ruthlessness of her fellow inmates and the brutal harassment of the guards, she’s got little chance of walking out the doors again with both mind and body intact. Stripped and shackled, but not yet broken, an international chain gang of red hot models and actresses prepare to march into the flames of the damned in HELLHOLE: INMATE 611! And HELLCAGE: INMATE 611 PT. 2!

HELLHOLE: INMATE 611 will be released on DVD in Japanese with English subtitles on November 19th while the DVD release of HELLCAGE: INMATE 611 PT. 2 will follow on January 28th, 2014

About Switchblade Pictures
With a growing roster of international exploitation films, Switchblade Pictures is dedicated to bringing the wildest and most unique entertainment programming to North America. Titles currently in release include the zombie cult phenomenons ATTACK GIRLS SWIM TEAM VS. THE UNDEAD and ZOMBIE HUNTER RIKA, the SULTRY ASSASSIN period epics APHRODISIAC KILL and NINJA BRAINWASH, and a wide range of daring erotic, horror and comedy programming from Japan.

About Section23 Films
Section23 Films provides home video marketing and distribution services for a variety of companies, including Sentai Filmworks, Switchblade Pictures, Maiden Japan and AEsir Holdings. With its special focus on genre entertainment, Section23 Films distributes some of the very best anime, martial arts, and horror titles on the market today.

Looks like Sentai has now decided to start dipping their toes in the Sub BD waters.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?23850-Section23-Films-Dec-13-slate-preview

[QUOTE=WTK]via Sentai Filmworks industry panel @ Otakon:

Releases planned for December.

Magical Play on DVD [new to Sentai; former ADV Films title]

BTOOOM!

• Dubbed on DVD & BD
  • Includes “Digests”

Di Gi Charat OVA (Specials)

• SUBTITLED ONLY on DVD
  • Includes:
    Summer Special (4 eps @ 10-min ea)
    Christmas Special (1 eps @ 23-min)
    Flower Viewing Special (4 eps @ 10-min ea) [Ohanami]