Section23 Films Announces December 2009 Slate

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDATE RELEASE

[size=16]SECTION23 FILMS ANNOUNCES DECEMBER SLATE[/size]
Includes Three New Anime Releases

HOUSTON, October 6, 2009 – Home video distributor Section23 Films today announced its December 2009 slate of new DVD releases. Section23 client Sentai Filmworks is coming out with three new home video releases, including the first volume of the popular new comedy series To Love Ru. Also coming from Sentai Filmworks in December are the second and final volumes of Clannad After Story and Ghost Hound. Switchblade Pictures, another Section23 client, has two “live-action” DVD releases straight from Japan – the animal thriller Gun-Kyu ~ War Pigeon and the sword & sorcery double feature Makiriko / Battler Sienne Matra.

Product details follow, in order of release
Coming December 2009

Title: MAKIRIKO / BATTLER SIENNE MATRA DOUBLE FEATURE
Running Time: 60 min. + 67 min.
Age Rating: Unrated - V
Language: Japanese with English Subtitles
CAT: SWB-0120
UPC: 814131012005
Published by: Switchblade Pictures
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Pre-Book Date: 11/3/2009
Street Date: 12/1/2009
Format: DVD
SRP: $19.98

Title: CLANNAD AFTER STORY COLLECTION 2
Running Time: 325 min.
Age Rating: TV PG
CAT: SF-CL400
UPC: 814131012104
Published by: Sentai Filmworks
Pre-Book Date: 11/10/2009
Street Date: 12/8/2009
SRP: $39.98

Title: GUN-KYU ~ WAR PIGEON
Running Time: 77 min.
Age Rating: Unrated - V
CAT: SWB-0122
UPC: 814131012203
Pre-Book Date: 11/10/2009
Street Date: 12/8/2009
SRP: $19.98

Title: GHOST HOUND COLLECTION 2
Running Time: 275 min.
Age Rating: TV 14
CAT: SF-GH100
UPC: 814131012401
Published by: Sentai Filmworks
Pre-Book Date: 11/17/2009
Street Date: 12/15/2009
SRP: $59.98

Title: TO LOVE RU COLLECTION 1
Running Time: 325 min.
Age Rating: TV 14
CAT: SF-TLR100
UPC: 814131011602
Pre-Book Date: 11/17/2009
Street Date: 12/15/2009
SRP: $39.98

About Section23 Films
Section23 Films provides home video marketing and distribution services for a variety of companies, including Sentai Filmworks, Switchblade Pictures, and AEsir Holdings. With its special focus on genre entertainment, Section23 Films distributes some of the very best anime, martial arts, and horror titles on the market today.

Great news more anime the merrier . Also looks very very nosebleed material.

[quote=psychopuppet]
Great news more anime the merrier . Also looks very very nosebleed material.[/quote]

Agreed, and in a good way for the latter. :slight_smile: Been hoping they’d grab this one and I’m glad they did. :slight_smile:

I’ve heard some pretty good things about this show, and it’s one I never expected we would get. In fact, I pretty much placed it on my “Anime I Will Never Get To See” list. I’m starting to really look forward to Sentai’s press releases and surprise solicitations every month.

To be honest, I was expecting them to announce something else for December, but I guess we will have to wait till the new year for it…

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4659/nosebleed.gif

Does Section23 Films have an email for info?

Cody, you didn’t? Last year this series was getting a lot of hot buzz. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were bidding interests as I expected this to be picked up sooner. Whether or not the longevity of that buzz has remained now though… who knows with those LPs -_-.

As for the latter they’re not gonna steal Clannad’s thunder with loading the month with too much stuff. :wink:

[quote=dragoon]
As for the latter they’re not gonna steal Clannad’s thunder with loading the month with too much stuff. ;)[/quote]

I guess that does make sense. Plus December is pretty full with some big titles from other companies, so I guess it makes sense to save their big guns for the new year.

Also, at least one of the Switchblade titles have been on their website for several months, so I was a bit surprised it didn’t get street dated earlier. But I might be picking up one or two of those, and Sentai’s entire December slate.

YAY! I will be able to finish both Ghost Hound and Clannad AS before the new year!

Also, those were some clears throat interesting opening credits. A different way to “scroll” the credits, and nice use of fan service. Very unique, I will give it that.

But Funimation made that deal with Gonzo, they were bed buddies, they even got the recap Vandread OVAs…

To Love Ru DESERVES A DUB, only the second Sentai I have though does(Clannad).

[quote=mitamaking]
But Funimation made that deal with Gonzo, they were bed buddies, they even got the recap Vandread OVAs…

To Love Ru DESERVES A DUB, only the second Sentai I have though does(Clannad).[/quote]

And what does Gonzo have to do with To Love Ru? It’s a TBS show, so they have final say on who gets it. And lately, most of their good licenses have been going to Sentai. They either have a really good relationship, or they have been happy with the financial performances of their titles under Sentai.

Unfortunately, in a market where even some top tier titles are failing to move units, not every title can warrant a dub. If the sales in R1 were strong enough for that, like they once were, everything would be getting a dub. But they aren’t. It’s an unfortunate truth of R1 anime today.

Fan’s who complain about no dub seem to most of the time as of late "at least the loudest LP ones " are the same ones that were perfectly fine watching a show illegally subbed ,but make lame excuses (such as color of subs) as to why they won’t buy and support their so call favorite show. Not aiming this at people that only watch legally because I know how hard it can be to change your viewing habits.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]

[quote=mitamaking]

To Love Ru DESERVES A DUB, only the second Sentai I have though does(Clannad).[/quote]

And what does Gonzo have to do with To Love Ru? It’s a TBS show, so they have final say on who gets it. And lately, most of their good licenses have been going to Sentai. They either have a really good relationship, or they have been happy with the financial performances of their titles under Sentai.

Unfortunately, in a market where even some top tier titles are failing to move units, not every title can warrant a dub. If the sales in R1 were strong enough for that, like they once were, everything would be getting a dub. But they aren’t. It’s an unfortunate truth of R1 anime today.[/quote]

I don’t know where in my head I got that it was made by Gonzo but I have believed that for years. I feel quite dumb now. Still I see this show selling with a dub and this show honestly makes me believe that Sentai doesn’t have a dub studio at all.

Of course they don’t. Sentai is a licensing company.

Why would they want to spend money dubbing when the market has tanked? Dub production costs in the tune of millions destroyed ADV in the last 3-5 years. They are finally practicing fiscal conservatism and looking at the sales #s of what moves and how to turn a profit.

ADV/Seraphim Digital studios is still there.

Like Dragoon said, Sentai doesn’t have their own dubbing studio. If they ever wanted, they could use Seraphim (formerly APM, formerly ADV Studios), or they could even use Bang Zoom or NYAV. But a lot of the titles they distribute don’t have the sales potential to make money on a dub. Most anime titles today are only moving around 2500 units. If you have big titles like Naruto, Afro Samurai, or DBZ, then you can afford to dub shows like To Love Ru. But when you only have smaller titles, you need to maximize your profits. And unfortunately, the slight boost in sales that a dub provides today, doesn’t always outweigh the costs of a dub.

And honestly, I don’t think this will be one of Sentai’s bigger titles. Even if it had a dub, I doubt it would outsell Clannad sub only.

But Sentai is a young company. They need to get a good financial base under them, before they take any big risks, like grabbing a big title or dubbing more shows. If anyone knows what shows can make a profit dubbed, and which ones can’t, it’s John Ledford and Company.

Also, I have seen first hand how badly anime sales have tanked at retail, especially at B&M stores. I noticed Bandai’s problems really seemed to escalate after a particularly brutal round of send backs from Best Buy. Sentai is playing it cautiously right now, and in this market, that’s a really good thing.

Alright! To Love Ru! time to cross it out on the lists of license I predicted that ADV/Section23 would license. (crosses fingers for more.)

No dub? No problem. SX23 will get back to dubbing in 2010. I know they will. FCI/Pony Canyon still cannot be ruled out as a partnership.

I personally wouldn’t care if the splinter ADV companies never dub again. It’s to the point for me where a dub isn’t even necessary for me to enjoy a show. I wouldn’t mind seeing ADV’s dub actors get more work but at this stage in the game it’s not fiscally responsible to dub super niche titles.

I’ll be getting Clannad AS Part 2 and that’s it.

I just pre-ordered To Love-Ru part 1 along with Clannad After Story part 1 & 2 from RightStuf

Too bad the series is ended already both the show and manga. The anime is definitely something good, and it all could have gone much longer than either did. Does this mean it will eventually be coming to TAN? How exactly does all that work in the new world order? :unsure:

[quote=shadzar]
Too bad the series is ended already both the show and manga. The anime is definitely something good, and it all could have gone much longer than either did. Does this mean it will eventually be coming to TAN? How exactly does all that work in the new world order? :unsure:[/quote]

it’s all a deeply guarded secret. Rai or Dragoon could tell you, but then they would have to snap your neck and burn your bones!

But I imagine it will be at some point. Every other Sentai show has so far, so I don’t see why Tears wouldn’t.