Sentai / Anime Network Newsletters, Blogs & More!

(Click to see video)

http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/enews

The only title (If the date is significant) that started airing Originally on 31 March 1995 is:

Spoiler

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Sentai Filmworks Press Release: Plan to Phase Out DVDs by 2019

September 18, 2017

1 Like

SHOP NOW, DUDES!

*Free Blu-ray Player with $299 Purchase or More: Offer valid from 9/18/17 at 12:00 AM CST through 9/30/17 at 11:59 PM CST online at http://www.shop.sentaifilmworks.com to residents in the United States. Offer applies only to Sentai Filmworks packaged media (DVDs, Blu-Rays, premium box sets) and merchandise. Final cart price must be $299.00 USD or more to qualify for free gift. Cannot be combined with other offers or discounts. Sentai Filmworks reserves the right to amend, restrict or rescind this offer at any time. Offer is non-transferable & not valid for cash or cash equivalent. Online: Applied online automatically at checkout.

*70% Off All DVDs: Offer valid from 9/18/17 at 12:00 AM CST through 9/30/17 at 11:59 PM CST online at http://www.shop.sentaifilmworks.com to residents in the United States. Offer applies only to Sentai Filmworks DVDs. Excludes pre-orders. Cannot be combined with other offers or discounts. Sentai Filmworks reserves the right to amend, restrict or rescind this offer at any time. Offer is non-transferable & not valid for cash or cash equivalent. Online: Applied online automatically at checkout.

Hmm, that puts pressure on me to buy a portable Blu-Ray player to replace my current portable DVD player…

2 Likes

Same here. It’s at the top of my next “to buy” list now.

1 Like

Really waiting for that RahXephon Blu-Ray set now…

2 Likes

I’ve had Blu-Ray capability with Players & PCs for quite some time now, there are still shows that in my opinion don’t really need Blu-Ray, but it looks like Sentai is going to be making judgement calls for the ones that have masters where Blu-Ray is warranted.

I expect that the cost of making Blu-Rays has reached the point where it isn’t significantly more than DVD. Indeed it’s possible that DVD may start costing more if the “economies of scale” begin to disappear.

Mark Gosdin

1 Like

I think the only advantage to Blu-ray in a lot of older shows would be the slightly more durable disk . I just hope we don’t get a big lets remaster at 4K surge on Anime . Some shows that were done at a higher end in the first place it might work fine , but in general I have not seen a lot of benefit in 4K . It only seems to bring out more distracting flaws . That said still a lot of great older shows that need a rerelease or even release . If it’s only blu-ray and just put on with no tweaking I personally am fine with that .

3 Likes

That’s cool. At least I got my DVD’s of say Psychic Squad and Ghost Sweeper Mikami before this, because I don’t really see either of those two coming out on BD anytime soon.

Not like they were visually gorgeous to begin with…:smirk:

2 Likes

My first up close experience with 4K was at Best Buy with Jurassic Park the CG dinosaurs held up pretty well, but the pancaked makeup on Sam Neill was horrifying. In a theater or on Blu-Ray you’d never see it, but at 4K it looked like his skin was going to come off. Shudder.

I don’t think anything existing in Anime would really be up to that, it would have to be made in 4K and I bet that would break the bank for any of the Japanese studios.

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes

4K hentai…:exploding_head:

4 Likes

Someone had to bring that up.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Blu-ray Player being offered

Doesn’t help me.

I have this: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=NSZGT1&LOC=3

TUESDAY NEW RELEASES: MATOI THE SACRED SLAYER

9/19/2017 2:04:03 PM

Matoi the Sacred Slayer Complete Collection

Matoi Sumeragi’s mother disappeared 10 years ago, she’s just moved in with her Police officer father, and all she wants is to lead a quiet, normal life. Unfortunately, fate has other plans, and when Matoi’s friend Yuma’s family shrine is attacked, Yuma’s attempts to invoke an old spell goes wrong, transforming Matoi into a super-powered Exorcist! Suddenly Matoi’s in the middle of the battle between good and evil, dealing with secret agencies, keeping her father from finding out about her double life and, worst of all, coping with the fact that when the power in her God Cloak runs out, it leaves her naked, no matter where she is! This is so not cool! She didn’t want the job, but now she’s stuck with it and life is about to get far, far too exciting for MATOI THE SACRED SLAYER!
Rating: TV-14

1 Like

Answerman: Why Is Sentai Filmworks Phasing Out DVDs?

by Justin Sevakis, Sep 20th 2017

3 Likes

BAD ANIME DOODLES TO CELEBRATE DOODLE DAY

9/22/2017 2:42:41 PM

Happy Doodle Day! Putting aside the fun irony that an animated character can’t draw, we wanted to take a moment to appreciate the art of anime doodles. Have a look at some of our favorite “works of art.”

Who Can Draw Houses Anyway? (Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun)

Clearly, Sakura and Wakamatsu need to concentrate on their other strengths and leave their house doodles far away from Nozaki’s shoujo manga (at least they tried… right?).

Angel? Monkey? (Haven’t You Heard? I’m Sakamoto)

Even Sakamoto’s artistic skills are cool. His doodle leaves room for some interpretation… Is it a monkey? An angel? Or something else entirely? We can’t help but fall in love with Sakamoto’s skills at doing optical illusions.

Well… That’s One Way to Doodle (Flying Witch)

Makoto may be directionally challenged, but at least she can draw a perfect pentagram, as most good witches should.

Manga-ka Fail (Love Stage!!)

We’re not trying to discourage anyone’s dreams, but Izumi’s initial drawings in the series left something to be desired.

Tora in Doodle Form (Ushio & Tora)

This lovely scribble comes from the artistically inclined Ushio. While he harbors dreams of being an artist, even his classmates and close friends know that his strengths lie elsewhere. To be fair, it KIND OF looks like Tora?

Diagram of “Love” (Monster Musume: Everyday Life with Monster Girls)

Sometimes, love needs a visual aid. In this case, Miia just needed to get her point across very clearly on a whiteboard. We give her three points for her doodles of Papi and Centorea. We can obviously see who she thinks is best girl in her masterpiece.

That’s a Cute Mascot Tho… (The Comic Artist and His Assistants)

Pervy manga-ka Yuki Aito was tasked to create a cute mascot for his manga. His adorable trial, aptly named Panties-kun, was tossed onto the reject pile. We don’t see why though.

Find Your Favorite Anime Doodle!

We’d love to see your picks for best anime doodle! Send them over to us on Facebook and Twitter.

Of Course the youngest (Renge from Non Non Biyori) is actually too good to be in Doodle day lol

1 Like