Stephen King's Dark Tower Series

The Dark Tower (2017 film)

Genres: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Rating: PG-13
Running Time: 1h 35m
Vintage: August 4, 2017

Plot Summary: Jake Chambers is an 11-year-old adventure seeker who discovers clues about another dimension called Mid-World. Upon following the mystery, he is spirited away to Mid-World where he encounters a Gunslinger, Roland Deschain, who is on a quest to reach the “Dark Tower” that resides in End-World and reach the nexus point between time and space that he hopes will save all existence from extinction by Hell. But with various monsters and a vicious sorcerer named Walter o’Dim, the Man in Black hot on their trail, the unlikely duo find that their quest may be difficult to complete.

IMDb Page

Wikipedia Page

Seems like Ron Howard will not only be directing the movie trilogy, but also the first season of The Dark Tower television season. I knew the tv deal was coming, but this movie news is great. The books were so complex that I think the movies need a tv series for people to get the story.
Slick

I agree, although I’m not sure how it will translate to film. A TV series is a good idea. I only read the first three books, but they were all excellent. I think I may start reading the series again.

Stephen King books almost never translate well to movies, with perhaps The Shining being the only exception. They seem to work better as TV shows or mini-series.

Firstly, I would like to say that I am appalled that they would even ATTEMPT to visualize this storyline. That series was a masterpiece, pure and simple, and by converting a version for the screen they in my opinion will only cheapen it. Yes, I agree that almost every single one of King’s stories adapted to the screen turned out great but I still think there are lines that just don’t need to be crossed.

fillet wrote:

Really? I think most of them have been pretty mediocre, with the exception of those he made specifically for TV. Many of the mini-series have been pretty good, but most of the movies have just been terrible.

Dude, you’re calling The Mist terrible? Dolores Claiborne? The Langoliers? Dreamcatcher? It? 'Salems Lot? The Tommyknockers?

Yes, The Mist wasn’t terrible, but I despised the ending. Dreamcatcher was even worse than The Mist and should have never been made. The plot was paper thin, the acting terrible and it was just a bad adaptation of the book.

The Langoliers was a two part movie and the Tommyknockers was a mini-series. Like I said, I think his books work better in longer forms. Dreamcatcher for instance had to be butchered to fit into a 90 minute movie, or however long that atrocity was.

Dolores Claiborne is pretty good though, I will give you that one. Carrie was also pretty good. I wasn’t thinking of them when writing my first post. As for Salem’s Lot, are you referring to the movie or the mini-series? I didn’t finish the mini-series and I never really cared for the movie.

What about The Green Mile and The Shaw Shank Redemption? Hmmmm?
Slick

Ok, now, see, this is one of my pet peeves. Stephen King movie adaptations. I find most of them to be horrible.

After the first few, I just stopped going to see them at all.

I did see The Shawshank Redemption. It WAS a good movie, and while it followed the book fairly well, it wasn’t completely faithful either. The book was titled “Rita Hayworth & the Shawshank Remdemption” and I was just disappointed in the changes they made to it.

That’s the problem with reading and loving the book first and then going to the movie.

I realize that a movie cannot be completely faithful to a book and that’s why I have given up going to Stephen King movies.

Don’t even get me started on “The Stand” or “The Shining” or that god-awful “Misery”.

I won’t even attempt to watch this “Dark Tower” movie or series either. I’ll probably just read the books again.

I thought Desperation was a great made for TV movie. Also, Storm of the Century was awesome. I love most of his movies. As for “The Shining”, how couldn’t you like that slowhand? That was one of the greatest movies ever made. At least, the original with Jack Nicholson was great.
Slick

:laugh: Wow, Mr. King can knock 'em dead no matter what he’s doing! A far cry from Cheerio-Casserole now, eh? I never read his online book, wasn’t it called The Plant?

slickwolfie wrote:

[quote]I thought Desperation was a great made for TV movie. Also, Storm of the Century was awesome. I love most of his movies. As for “The Shining”, how couldn’t you like that slowhand? That was one of the greatest movies ever made. At least, the original with Jack Nicholson was great.
Slick[/quote]

Storm of The Century wasn’t a book. It was made for TV, just like Rose Red. Being made for TV and being adapted from a book are two entirely different things. Plus, she specifically mentioned movie adaptations, not mini-series.

Also, I’m not the biggest fan of the original Shining either. I actually like the mini-series a bit more as not only was it a bit more faithful to the book, it also lacked Shelley Duvall, which is a big plus in my book…lol. However, Steven Webber can’t compare to Jack Nicholson.

I’ve actually never watched Shawshank Redemption or the Green Mile, and probably won’t for some time. I’ve just never had much interest in them.

But I do have to agree with Slow, that even if I do like a movie based on a book, I’m always fairly disappointed with them. Another example for me is the Lord of The Rings movies. While the movies were pretty good, they just took too many liberties with the story for my tastes, particularly the first film. Not to mention, they put god-awful Liv Tyler in them… :stuck_out_tongue:

I will probably give the TV series a try, but movie adaptations of King novels have been too much of a mixed bag for me. I think most of this writing works better in longer forms like mini-series or TV shows.

dragonrider_cody wrote:

[quote]slickwolfie wrote:

[quote]I thought Desperation was a great made for TV movie. Also, Storm of the Century was awesome. I love most of his movies. As for “The Shining”, how couldn’t you like that slowhand? That was one of the greatest movies ever made. At least, the original with Jack Nicholson was great.
Slick[/quote]

Storm of The Century wasn’t a book. It was made for TV, just like Rose Red. Being made for TV and being adapted from a book are two entirely different things. Plus, she specifically mentioned movie adaptations, not mini-series.

[/quote]

Yes, it was an original screenplay, but it was made into a book. He planned on a book whether he made it a movie or not. I was just pointing out some of his achievements on the big and small screen, not trying to make a federal case about anything.
Slick

slickwolfie wrote:

[quote]dragonrider_cody wrote:

Slick[/quote]

Yes, it was an original screenplay, but it was made into a book. He planned on a book whether he made it a movie or not. I was just pointing out some of his achievements on the big and small screen, not trying to make a federal case about anything.
Slick[/quote]

I was simply pointing out it was made with TV specifically in mind, which is quite different than adapting a book. Also, are you sure it was made into a novel? The only King book I can find is the original screenplay.

dragonrider_cody wrote:

Slowhand wrote:

[quote]dragonrider_cody wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Century-Stephen-King/dp/0965796930[/quote]

That’s the one I was talking about. It’s the screenplay from the mini-series. I have the large paperback edition of it.

dragonrider_cody wrote:

Ah, now I see, you’re right, it WAS going to be a novel, then he changed it.

I do have one question. Why do almost all Stephen King’s mini-series always star people from sitcoms, i.e. Steven Weber from Wings, Nancy Travis from Becker, Bronson Pinchot from Perfect Strangers, etc? They seem to have a thing for the cast from Wings especially…lol.

dragonrider_cody wrote:

LOL - Don’t forget Tim Daly… haven’t seen Crystal Bernard though. :laugh:

LOL… yeah, it seemed every time King had a miniseries, the question was “Who will be the lead, Steven Webber or Tim Daly?” :laugh:

Also, I think Crystal Bernard only does those “Men Will Rape and Hurt You Because They’re Evil” movies on Lifetime these days.