t-yesterday-did-nothing

3 Likes

5 Likes

Work or pleasure? The answer is obvious. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

2 Likes

t-spider-smaller-than-you

2 Likes

I need more things like this in my life.

3 Likes

High Order ASCII Symbols. It’s great to be able to use all these special symbols, until they make their way into the data going into a database. Then it’s not so much fun, ask me how I know this.

Mark Gosdin

1 Like

@mgosdin

Ok, I’ll bite - how do you know this?

2 Likes

Our ERP software at work runs on top of a Database that traces it’s origins back to the late 1970’s. It was designed to support the first ( Lower ) 128 characters in ASCII as that was what the then current Mini-computers supported. The database can now be set to support any and all character sets, but not every process has been updated. So, there are times when we get a Copyright symbol or Trademark symbol in our data and then an export file fails or display crashes because the symbol isn’t one that one of the DB’s programming tools can handle.

It’s a PIA when it happens. It’s gotten rare vs 10-years ago, so it is improving.

Mark Gosdin

3 Likes

Oh lordy. I don’t envy you. That must be an absolute nightmare to contend with.

3 Likes

I used to have to deal with Catalog descriptions of products, a couple of paragraphs on each product. The DB could handle them easily … but they were often take from Windows Cut-n-Pastes. The export for the Catalog printer was a flat file, ASCII 128 per their specs. The High Order characters would break their import of the Catalog. I had to write code to strip out any of those pretty characters before it went to the printer.

Oh the fun times.

Mark Gosdin

2 Likes

We have passwords that use characters like that. Turns out, on the console for machines running Windows Server 2012 and higher (and I assume Windows 8 and higher), you can’t actually log in. Seems the character set is different on the login screen for some reason. (Once you log in, you can use those characters…)

2 Likes

20ea7beab37813f6ebd99de1627302ed

3 Likes

large66

2 Likes