To Love Ru

I don’t speak Japanese, guess I phrased that wrong. It’s mostly misspelled words, and grammar mistakes. I’ll post them here in a little bit.

To Love Ru Darkness Episode 4 is live at ANO

Ep. 04

Ha!

Momo is such a badass!

To Love Ru Darkness Episode 5 is live at ANO

Japanese fluency is not required (although you don’t have to be fluent to know that 地球 is “Earth”, not “early”) - there’s awkward and just plain bad English grammar throughout the first two episodes. I came here just to check to see if the subs on AoD were the same as Sentai’s, and apparently they are.

Why are your subtitles white?

The original poster replied and stated they were in fact talking about grammar and not translation. I made the comment because not only did the original post contain extremely poor grammar, but I’ve often found those who mention translation quality often know little or no Japanese.

It’s not that uncommon for streamed series to have grammar issues, especially during the first few episodes. They generally have very little time to be the translations approved and subtitles finalized before the stream goes live. Generally, the issues improve as the simulcasts go on and they are usually cleaned up a great deal for the home video release.

As for the subtitle color, it’s pretty common for them to appear yellow here and to appear white on other sites such as Crunchyroll or AnimeOnDemand.

I did not know about AnimeOnDemand.

I posted about it on page 3.
AoD is streaming for the UK.

I missed that there was an extra page so did not see the reply until after.

I regularly report problems with streaming scripts on CR and AoD, but it is usually just stuff like missing words, missing lines, timing and typos. I haven’t given up due to there being so many problems since some of the early pre-MX Media stuff on Crunchyroll. They read like they were translated by someone who is not a native English speaker and haven’t been proofread by someone who is, compare with the English subtitles on the Japanese discs.

I’m amused that the email subscriptions from this forum are sent from “change@me .com”

To Love Ru Darkness Episode 6 is live at ANO

All the errors from epi 6.

Time = 1:35, So you’re very interested in woman’s body now.
Should read as… (So, you’re very interested in a woman’s body now.)

Time = 2:51, I think I should take this opportunity to teach you the secrets of the girls body.
Should read as… (I think I should take this opportunity to teach you the secrets of a girl’s body.)

Time = 5:15, That’s not it! Ever since then I’ve liked two of you very much!
Should read as… (That’s not it! Ever since then I’ve liked the two of you very much!)

Time = 6:13, I understood. Let’s be friends!
Should read as… (I understand. let’s be friends!)

Time = 7:41, That’s right! Run the girl, and Ren the boy can switch within the body!
Should read as… (That’s right! Run the girl, and Ren the boy can switch within the same body!)
Time = 8:45. Who would thought I’d be able to set up a date for Run and Rito?
Should read as… (Who would have thought I’d be able to set up a date for Run and Rito?)

Time = 9:13, Don’t be ridiculous! That’s now why I’m…
Should read as… (Don’t be ridiculous! That’s why now I’m…)

Time = 10:35, I didn’t know that the pop idol has an issue like that…
Should read as… (I didn’t know that pop idol’s have issues like that…)

Time = 11:47, Well then, Shall we get going now?
Should read as… (Well then, shall we get going now, Run?)

Time = 12:59, That sounds a little dramatic. There’s the beautiful sunset on your planet, isn’t there?
Should read as… (That sounds a little dramatic. There’s a beautiful sunset on your planet, isn’t there?)

Time = 13:15, 80% of the planet is the desert, so you could say they have somewhat harsh climate.
Should read as… (80% of the planet is desert, so you could say it has a somewhat harsh climate.)

Time = 15:39, You could touch it if you want.
Should read as… (You can touch it if you want.)

Time = 18:05, Let’s get you take some rest somewhere!
Should read as… (Lets get you someplace where you can rest!)

Time = 18:14, Should I summon my pet that can locate them by the scent?
Should read as… (Should I summon my pet that can locate them by their scent?)

Time = 20:39, According to this encyclopedia of Mysteries of Galaxy,
Should read as… (According to this encyclopedia of Mysteries of the Galaxy,)

Time = 20:49, the bodies of the people on Planet Memorze go through third phase,
Should read as… (the bodies of the people on Planet Memorze go through the third phase,)

Time = 21:19, Missed line.

Time = 21:27, Who would have thought the body splits up when it reaches the maturity?
Should read as… (Who would have thought the body splits up when it reaches maturity?)

Time = 21:58, I’ve got the feeling that I’m going deeper in the hole that I can’t get myself out of…
Should read as… (I’ve got the feeling that I’m going deeper in a hole that I can’t get myself out of…)

I can guarantee you that if these errors are not fixed now they will show up in the DVD release. I’ll be going back to rewatch the rest of the episodes and point out all the mistakes, in hopes that Sentai will see this thread and fix them.

Whoever is doing the subtitles for this show needs to be fired. I don’t even think english is their native language.

I honestly think the subtitles must be supplied to Sentai with the license for some reason, given that they definitely appear to have been written by someone who’s native language is not English - presumably someone in Japan (again, compare with the Japanese Haruhi DVD subs).
Taking that as read, they either aren’t allowed to change them, don’t have time to get changes approved or just can’t be bothered / don’t want to pay to get them corrected.

To be pedantic, that would be “pop idols”

I haven’t seen this episode yet so am lacking context, but I think “go through three phases” would make more sense.

Again, no context but perhaps “I’ve a feeling that I’m digging myself deeper into a hole” might read better - it’s a common enough expression that the rest is implied.

Screw it, I’m not doing this. I honestly shouldn’t have to. All that needs to be said is that every episodes subtitle script is a train wreck. I won’t be watching this show anymore, nor will I be purchasing a physical release of it. Not until this speed sub trash is fixed.

From the time of receiving the master tape to translation, timing and authoring, the timespan is VERY short. (We’re talking maybe 3 days…MAYBE 3.) Take into consideration what WAS fixed during the mega-speed timing process if that stuff managed to get through… :stuck_out_tongue:

All TAN simulcasts licensed by Sentai Filmworks are proofed for Quality Assurance before physical DVD release.

Pity that doesn’t apply to non-TAN simulcasts, since the shoddy Crunchyroll subs for Koihime Musou made it onto the discs with little or no correction (although mileage varies on how bad the scripts actually were; I’ve never even considered getting the DVDs since I never finished the series on Crunchyroll.)

I don’t have the e-mails for that title anymore, but I can assure you there were quite a few spelling (and “Engrish”) corrections made, as well as those that were overlooked.

Also, there are always exceptions to the rules. Things have changed and different procedures are in place in comparison to titles that are 2+ years old (or even a year old).

I always give the ratio: “For every One mistake you find, there were at least Five corrected.”

I call BS, fix the simulcast scripts, then I’ll believe you. You people are just being lazy.

It’s pretty sad that a premium paid service is worst than fansub quality. Your staff should be ashamed.

There is no BS. Anime Network doesn’t even have anything to do with the simulcast “scripts” or translations. They don’t even do the subtitling. If you are concerned, you can email Sentai with any problems you find. Complaining about generic mistakes on a forum not affiliated with Sentai is going to do nothing. Inphy can relay some information, but she has no say over the final decisions.

For the record, Inphy is one of the people at Sentai that actually proofs the subs before they are released on physical DVD. As she said though, there is very little time to proof them before a simulcast, as they have only three days at max to do so and Sentai is simulcasting approximately a dozen series through various different sites this season. That’s a lot of material for just one or two peopl to proofread, along with half dozen physical releases Sentai does every month.

There’s no need to be rude in a civil conversation.

If the reasoning is not to your liking, I apologize. However, what I tell you is the truth.