some code
[b]bolded text[/b]
[i]italicized text[/i]
[u]underlined text[/u]
[s]strikethrough text[/s]
[url]http://example.org[/url]
[code]some code[/code]
1 Like

How does one underline or strikethrough with just the GUI?

There is not GUI toolbar for it at the moment, perhaps we can add one in future.

1 Like

Some of these button shortcuts are pretty interesting

Like Ctrl+K lets you put your stuff in this preformatted text box...

But some of them donā€™t workā€¦ like putting in a horizontal rule

This shortcut, ctrl+R is also the shortcut for refreshing a webpage, so all pressing that does, is refreshes the pageā€¦ maybe change that to something that doesnā€™t already have a standard function in browsers.

spoiler function is dumb and doesnā€™t even indicate that content exists

how stupid is it that you have to highlight a large section of text jsut to find out there is something hidden there rather than having some indicate that text is there for people that want to read it. This is an anime forum and requires people to be able to discuss shows they have seen without spoiling later episodes for people that have not sen it and spoiler tag is a MUST. I can imagine most people would not even think to highlight a large section of a post that looks like someone hit the enter key 20 times jsut to give the post padding. Most REAL forums this day and age have added some indicater that there is something hidden there so people donā€™t have to manually do it as I have done in this post below.

(highlight above to read)

Also on this note, it does have a LOT of white space added when it is spoilered text and already there is too much whitespace that is wasted real estate.

And you cannot spoiler images at all. they just break as seen above and leave the code text and image URL in the spoiler section.

These things should have been fixed in the alpha stages to make sure content worked correctly before you start mucking around with fancy pagination systems and such. the weaknesses of this software for the purpose of this forum are so huge, it bewilders me how they were EVER paired.

It works, but syntax is a bit diff

[spoiler]![](upload://uM6DNQAMD6S8uwE0IgvImYPOXn5.jpeg)[/spoiler]
1 Like

That means it is overly convoluted in the design and coding.

![](upload://uM6DNQAMD6S8uwE0IgvImYPOXn5.jpeg)

Having the automatic recognition of the image and to properly style the page and code for it with jsut the url is fine, also the BBCode method, but leaving the HTML tags themselves available could too easily set up the users of the forum and the forum itself for code injection that could cause damage to either or both. This is the reason BBCode was created to prevent people from having access to direct HTML tags. Having the threat of code injection as well having to use both BBCode and HTML tags is unintuitive and as has now appeared several times in our recent post, makes for a very sad Elsie.

She has enough to deal with handling the 404s of tan, and doesnā€™t need the confusion of having to use both BBCode and HTML tags just to get the proper result.

BBCode or HTML, pick one NOT both. (The preceeding contained both in the bold and italicized words.)

BBCode should work nested inside other code so that you donā€™t have to mix it to get it to work.

Not to mentnion that the actual code you presented:

[spoiler]![](upload://uM6DNQAMD6S8uwE0IgvImYPOXn5.jpeg)[/spoiler]

does NOT place the image into a spoiler, but just shows the blooming image!

thus the image isnā€™t spoilered in any way. >.>

Iā€™m not a huge fan of this spoiler setup either. I prefer it to be a collapsible style spoiler where clicking the spoiler tag will make it appear or disappear. It also cuts down on space that way.

I mentioned it a few days ago, but thereā€™s a way to make something like that, but Iā€™ve only seen it working in chrome and on mobile devices.

If you happen to be using chromeā€¦

You can make this sentence say anything, and upon clicking this sentence....It should show whatever you want to put inside... even images. [img]/uploads/animenetwork2/22933/ca41c76ab3b57870.png[/img]

The formatting for this is

<details><summary>Shown Text Here</summary>Hidden Text Here</details>

Now, before any of you say itā€™s not working for you, and that I should check my codeā€¦ It is working, and the code is perfectly fine. But, like I said before, it seems you have to be running chrome, or it just shows everythingā€¦

Hereā€™s a comparison of the same post in chrome (left) vs. Internet Explorer 11 (right)

Youā€™ll see on the Chrome side, thereā€™s a little arrow next to the first sentence. clicking that arrow or the sentence itself would normally reveal the second sentence. However in IE11, it just shows both sentences.

We need something like this collapsible text box, only one that works for everyone.

Why does the forum support something that is Google Chrome specific on desktop? We had this functionality cross-browser before.

Oddly enough, while the kludge-spoiler setup doesnā€™t work on any Firefox that Iā€™ve tried on desktop, it does work on FF mobile. Testing that allowed me to notice the rather eerie forum feature where if a post is still ā€œunder constructionā€ on the desktop it will show up as such on mobile.

Almost disappointingly, however, if I have the post editor open on both mobile and desktop any changes made to a prospective post in one are not shown on the other; only reloading the page causes such changes to be shown. That would have unlocked maximum creep factor, instead of the ~90% that weā€™re currently at. :wink:

1 Like

Firefox desktop doesnā€™t seem to like the image spoilers. I canā€™t seem to get the image to appear.

Alright, my infant pleas havenā€™t been heard here in awhile. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Itā€™s time to drop some gripes I have off here that Iā€™ve discovered. For one, why in the BLEEP is there an edit limit? This wasnā€™t a problem before in the old forums that I know of for an edit limit to be used. Though, this is new software. But still, like really!?

Hereā€™s the screenshotā€¦

-Doubletake-ā€¦ did I just read that right? :no_mouth: Iā€™m remaining patient, donā€™t get me wrong, but NO limits should be put in place for editing. That was something that I fell in love with regarding the old boards.

If this can be looked into and removedā€¦ or the limit set to something that we wonā€™t run into, that will be much appreciated. No edit limits should exist. This goes the same way for editing something 5 years ago that was posted. We still are not certain for this, but if that is another limit, please can these be changed. :question:

On another subject, I do agree that the spoiler system needs work. Being able to blur text out is fine as a little extra feature, but with like many other boards Iā€™ve visited, we do need the traditional collapsible spoiler box here. Being able to store something large, like a list, was so convenient. This is needed badly. :disappointed:

I do find it strange that ability to skip a few lines in between things has been lost. The only way that I have been able to do it is by using the HTML code for paragraph and line breaks (**< p >< /p >** & **< br >< /br >**).

Like as above with how I changed the spacing between the horizontal rule lines, this seems to be the new norm for now. Iā€™m not sure if this could be changed, but as we all sayā€¦ simple is always better. :question:

Example code:

<br>
---
</br>
2 Likes

Odd: your spoiler kludge works in Firefox Mobile on my phone but not on my tablet. Both android, both same ff version.

1 Like

I could understand having a limit the the numebr of times you can post in quick sucession due to max#users and such like:

You must wait 60 seconds before posting again

But to have a limit to the number of times you can edit something in such a cluttered and lacking posting system int he first palce is just stupid. Also the fact the posting area due to being some cornholed javascript nonsense rather than an actualy posting form built using a proper GET or POST method (POST prefered) disables spellcheckers. Thus you might have to go back and edit a post many times.

I hope it isnā€™t like tumblr where you have a posting limit, because then the forums would die.

I am seeing this more like a blog comments kind of software for a news agregate rather than actual forum software and think it quite a joke that anyone thinks it is functional or robust enough to handle being an actual forum in this day and age. it is outdated and out moded by at least a decade for being ā€œforumā€ software.

truncating lines to reduce the amount of space by an enter has 2 functions, reducing the amount of space in the database for a post, which defeats the purpose of letting people post and formatting their own posts, and reducing the amount of space for scrolling to prevent ā€œwhitespaceā€ bloat, and this software already has enough whitespace bloat that I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would do that.

As was said though, this ā€œNEWā€ forum was made for mobile devices, so instead of having a desktop environment, everyone now is supposed to use the forums from a mobile device because that is really all this nonsense supports and was made to compose and view only on mobile devices.

The spellchecker within Firefox still works for me. I canā€™t remember what browser you use, @shadzar? I believe you use the same browser. But, it does work for me. If that didnā€™t work, Iā€™d be mad about that. :rage:

Firefox 32.0.3, Up-to-date

But, I do understand why some limits may be put in place regarding skipping lines. If that is the mindset though, the user should still be able to skip at least 2 lines without the limit kicking in. Only makes sense.

1 Like

Have a VOD user trying to access the forums with a Nook device, but is unable to do so. Cannot make him understand that he needs to give us more info to go on.
Here are his posts:

bolding over multiples lines with line breaks does nothing using the format bar.

**1 2 3**

works using REAL BBCode

[b]1 2 3[/b]

and HTML

<b>1 2 3</b>

Yeah, I just ran into this today while playing around with relatively new old posts.
I can see the viability in it, if for nothing else, than to stop newly edited threads from registering on the Latest Topics or Unread lists.

But really, this gets rather annoying and is nothing but a nuisance as we still try to figure out the forum and testing things out to see what works and what doesnā€™t as far as posts go.

Since this forum is built to be used on mobile devices, I have to ask: why is it so slow on them (so much JavaScript, which doesnā€™t jibe with mobile) and why does it have prompts on mobile to perform tasks that are impossible on mobile, like pasting or dragging-and-dropping pictures?

[quote=ā€œdouga, post:75, topic:7632ā€]
Tried again to access the forums using my tablet (actually, a Nook Color) and no goā€“cannot even look at the forums using the browser at all, even typing in the entire URL just gives me a blank pageā€¦[/quote]

Reply to @douga : When you visit https://forums.theanimenetwork.com/ do you get a mostly blank page saying this:

Unfortunately, your browser is too old to work on this site. Please upgrade your browser.

The first hyperlink ( http://www.discourse.org/faq/ ) shows a page listing the minimum browser requirements.

• Internet Exploer 10+
  • Google Chrome 24+
  • Firefox 14+
  • Safari 5.1+

Tablets and phones supported:

• Mobile Safari, iOS6+
  • Mobile Chrome, Android 4.1+
  • Mobile IE, Windows Phone 8 or later.

Check to see if it is possible to download Chrome onto your Barnes & Noble Nook Color device.

OhHo!
Going back to this for a momentā€¦
It looks like double ā€œ!!ā€ donā€™t stick though.
I was skimming through the huge Notifications list (most of it being system auto-download dump when the posts got transferred to Discourse) and I noticed my Upotte!! thread only had one ā€œ!ā€, so I clicked on it and checked the edits, sure enough, one was deleting the second ā€œ!ā€.
So I tried to edit it back into the title, and found, just like ā€œ.ā€, double ā€œ!!ā€ wonā€™t stick, only single ā€œ!ā€.