Welcome to the New Forums!

[quote=“shadzar, post:120, topic:7632”]
Silly question since you have done extensive editting, do you get a notification when you edit your own post after coming back to it, or was that silliness avoided?[/quote]
It does show up by the bubble for me, yes it does. But it’s not for all the editing, only certain ones.
Haven’t quite locked down exactly which ones it’s flagging yet.
Thanks goodness it’s not all of them, or I would be insane.

Personal edits only pop up with a notification (in the notification bubble at the top) if an image was added and downloaded to the virtual host (which is a system edit, and we can’t avoid those)
Otherwise you don’t get regular Notifications of personal edits.

There is a rather annoying thing about editing though (other than the limitations) .
When you edit the very last post in a thread, no matter how old or new it is, it pops up on the “Latest” list, as well as the “Unread” list (unless you have dismissed it) so it “seems” like it has a “new post” but it really doesn’t.

If there’s a “pencil icon”, it was an EDIT, if there’s a “curved arrow” it was a REPLY.

Hmm, are you using custom font sizing?

1 Like

I concur. On that, it I just got 14 notifications and most all of them were because of old threads that I’d made in the Chunibyo article being edited. :smile:

Which is unfortunate as for the AN Shows and Other Shows forums we can’t see which threads are “unread” until we go into the forums.

It’s really is annoying.
Huge amounts of my 12000+ posts (everybody’s posts actually) have broken code from the transfer to Discourse.
So they have to be edited to fix all the broken code (which is going to take me forever to fix being limited to 200 edits a day and then waiting until day turn at 5-ish pm PST).
I’ve mostly been working on smaller threads which is much more efficient than spending almost 3 days on one large thread with the limitations we have.
Sadly, that means a huge amount of old threads are going to pop up as they get fixed.

[quote=“LadyOfWicca, post:109, topic:7632”]
Just wondering if we could get an update from the admins about the status of getting things fixed, such as the spoiler tags, colors, and one click buttons, etc. Having to use all this code stuff is getting to be annoying and does not seem to be just a temporary fix at this point.[/quote]

I second that notion. Just a quick little word is always appreciated. Your subjects of the royal TAN forums grow restless. I kid… I kid. But, any little news is always great to hear. Thank you all. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=“TheCoffeeGod, post:122, topic:7632”]
If there’s a “pencil icon”, it was an EDIT, if there’s a “curved arrow” it was a REPLY.[/quote]

I notice that reply notification will only pop up if someone uses the reply button that is actually within each of our posts… next to the “like” button and the rest.

Really, I rarely use this since I know some do not like to get spammed with needless notifications. This is another example of a setting needing to be given to automatically dismiss this. We should be able to choose what notification types we want. Yet again, only makes sense.

And, don’t even get me started on the editing that needs to be done. I have to write some things off. Sadly, what a nightmare with that. :unamused:

1 Like

[quote=“TheCoffeeGod, post:125, topic:7632”]
So they have to be edited to fix all the broken code (which is going to take me forever to fix being limited to 200 edits a day and then waiting until day turn at 5-ish pm PST).[/quote]
Re-editing things that have already been fixed is a waste of your time also.

no wonder all I see is pencils in my notifications then. I haven’t even looked in threads themselves or forums since the purple indicator supposedly shows new forums replies on the main page. :angry: I have missed EVERY thread that wasn’t pinned probably

Also nothing happens when I try to reply to a post, I had to copy the above section and insert HTML quote tags to it because the reply didn’t automagically insert the post I was replying to into the textarea of the form…

Seems like using this “forum” software make me feel as if I was served an order of blowfish at Waffle House. :worried:

[quote=“shadzar, post:128, topic:7632”]
no wonder all I see is pencils in my notifications then.[/quote]

I’m not too sure how the edit notifications work quite 100% still. It seems like I only got one personal edit notification, and the rest of the personal edits I have made have done nothing as @TheCoffeeGod stated earlier. Also as he stated and to add onto that, if you don’t use the built-in image uploading service here…

… and use an outside image URL, the system will download that image from the source and edits your post giving you an edit notification. There are only two times that I found that it won’t do that auto-download edit. One is if you use a direct link from some image sharing sources. It would not download my ImageShack direct links for various technical reasons. Two is when the image exceeds 3MBs (3072KB) in size.

Also as it was sort of brought up, if Slow makes an edit on a post of ours to fix something or for moderation purposes, we get a notification. I call this “Slow spam.” It is an odd phenomenon that has been occurring lately around here plaguing the residents of TAN. I kid… I kid of course. :smirk:

I myself have many more things to fix with editing… ugh! But, you also may get a notification for every new reply to a thread if you have the option at the bottem set to ‘Watching’. That can be annoying.

I have missed EVERY thread that wasn’t pinned probably[/quote]

It seems like you have to worry about checking two sections now rather than one like I first thought. If you are not “stalking” a thread and don’t have a thread set to ‘Tracking’ where it appears in the ‘Unread’ section, it will only show in the ‘Latest’ section. There are so many sections now, I find it easier to miss things. :unamused:

Also nothing happens when I try to reply to a post, I had to copy the above section and insert HTML quote tags to it because the reply didn’t automagically insert the post I was replying to into the textarea of the form…[/quote]

That reply option is not the same as quoting. I did get a reply notification from you though for your post. If you want to quote something, highlight it and you will see an option pop up above the highlighted text. Click that option that pops up to insert the highlighted quoted text into the post composing text box. When you quote something like this, the person quoted will get a quote notification instead. Pop-up looks like this…

Did that option not pop up for you when you highlighted my text in the post? :confused:

1 Like

no, quote reply does not come up.

I wonder if it is even legal to download the image and ost and distribute it? Wouldn’t that violate like DeviantArt copyrights and many others? If someone actually uploaded an image to this palce, I assume that would be no problem as always, but downloading and hosting images i am pretty sure is the definition of a copyright violation and should never happen. That is why there are s many hosting sites with their TOS’s and allow hotlinking. hosting the image here deprives those hosting sites of any adevertising and links back to promote their own sites. pretty sure that is illegal. is it only doing it for new posts or has it taken EVERY image from the old forum also and downloaded them for illegal hosting and distribution?

i cant tell what is what in the section so unless it appears on the main page with the purple dot, I jsut don’t bother. the fonts are too small for visually impaired and the excess whitespace and spacing of things just is too much a cluttered mess to really see or find anything. This is why people stopped using newspapers so much and went to online reading because there wasn’t the limits space to cram so much stuff in and you could space things out with more line breaks because it didn’t cost anymore, way back in the early 90s. so this “forum” design is 25 years outdated.

[quote=“shadzar, post:130, topic:7632”]
no, quote reply does not come up.[/quote]

Go to your forum profile page and open up the preferences. Scroll down and make sure the option for ‘Enable quote reply for highlighted text’ is checkboxed. That should fix the problem… keyword should.

And as far as the legal implications, I’ve read up on many of the laws and there are still a lot of “gray zones” involving such things. Some artist copyrights and intellectual property rights allow you, anyone or “anything”, to download the shared works as long as you make no claims on explicitly calling it your own work. Some of the original holders, like on Deviant Art and other sites, will choose to not allow that. But, my head exploded reading the legal fine-print about all of this which is still very roundabout regarding such things.

Most of this is still a gray zone as long as no complaints are made by the original owner of the work to take it down. And then, the blame will always fall on the one that shared the work… not the interface that they did it through when you read the disclaimers. Even here as it is stated, we are ultimately responsible for our own posts and that which we share within each of them regardless of the means to get it to display. :no_mouth:

[quote=“shadzar, post:130, topic:7632”]
This is why people stopped using newspapers so much and went to online reading because there wasn’t the limits space to cram so much stuff in and you could space things out with more line breaks because it didn’t cost anymore… [/quote]

This forum is actually thinner. The old forum was about 725 pixels wide, which was still too small with today’s displays, where this one tops out as 690 pixels wide. Yay… more white space! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

O.O it worked! but that is a really dumb way to quote someone when it could jsut put the whole post in there and let you delete unneeded parts that you aren’t quoting to reply to. :s

[quote=“shadzar, post:132, topic:7632”]
O.O it worked![/quote]

No problem! :smile: Also to note, you can add a new quote into a post while the post composing box is already open too. Just find what you want to quote and rinse & repeat the process. It will plug it in at the end.

I do wish there were both the alternative and original ways to quote things. A quote button could easily be added to the other options at the end of our posts. Either way… user friendliness yet again.

1 Like

Is there an “advanced search” option? I’ve something that I’d only like to search against the titles of threads but the search will find any instance of any word that I type in, giving me all posts containing what I’ve typed in as well as all usernames that contain it.

There isn’t an “advanced search” option that I know of.
However, the way the search works:

Tips for Using This New Forum

Type in what you are looking for.
For example, if you are looking for an anime, i.e. “Beyond the Boundary”, type that in (no quotes).
The first results should be threads with those words in the TITLE,
the next results are threads with those words in the body of the posts.
After that are users with those words in their usernames.

The new forum has cropped my username to:
One_who_watches_Anim

Instead of:
One Who Watches Anime

Not a big deal but if possible I would like to get the missing ‘e’ back on the end of my name.

1 Like

[quote=“One_who_watches_Anim, post:136, topic:7632, full:true”]
The new forum has cropped my username to:One_who_watches_Anim

Instead of:One Who Watches Anime

Not a big deal but if possible I would like to get the missing ‘e’ back on the end of my name.[/quote]

Huh… it seems like there is a character limit now plus the no spacing in user names. :no_mouth: As far as I know, if you want the underscores out, plus it will fix your missing “e” problem, your name will look like this…

OneWhoWatchesAnime

But, it’s the weekend so the admins will have to get back to you during the week. Now we know there is a character limit, and I wonder how many others this has happened too. Odd indeed.

So it seems like there is a little glitch, maybe, with larger GIF images here. If a GIF exceeds the posting picture limits of 690 wide and/or 500 high in a post, the animation breaks. The image is no longer animated. If you click on it, you can still see that it is animated when the preview pops up, but within the post the image animation no longer functions. This only happens if either one of those limits are exceeded.

Also, this affects the image’s actual size… not the HTML size that you can change in the link that is generated by the virtual server. Even if you scale it down by changing those size numbers at the end of the link, the animation will still remain broken. The only way to currently fix the problem I found is to actually scale the image down before upload. So to speak, no one will do that making this is an annoying little issue. :expressionless:

1 Like

Been using online forums for almost twenty years and this is the ugliest I have ever seen. I’m not sure if its the color palette or something else but scrolling down makes me nauseated. I can’t think of anything positive about this new software. I haven’t been by here often lately due to a busy schedule but with this new look will only come for updates on VOD for now.

2 Likes

So how about that section alignment? AN VOD on the main page has the treads from LATEST in the TOPICS area and the TOPICs seem to have been pushed father.

Seems like someone screwed up the tables and added an extra TD html tag…

[quote=“Lumis, post:12, topic:7629”]
4.) I notice that there are times that posts that have already been read display the subtle purple hue for a moment when focused on. This seems to be a bug since only something that truly is new should display this. This seems to be random regardless if at the end or middle of a thread.[/quote]
Here in this tidbit from one of my first “new” posts, and as I’m sure many have already figured out, this here is really NOT a bug. The slight temporary purple hue is used to denote positioning on these new endless auto-scrolling pages. When a new section of the page loads where the last line/topic/post was, it will show this letting you know where you left off. I meant to mention this awhile ago to correct my first presumption. :sweat_smile:

I also see this too if you happen to click on something that jumps you to another location on the page as well.

Something that I was going to bring up since Shawn reminded me with the above post, a big gripe I have with this new software format is the lack of separation… mainly between posts. Unless you are staring at it, there is not a lot of visual aid that denotes where the end of a post is and where the next begins. This is especially annoying when you are scrolling. I find myself looking to the avatars since they stand out the most.

The main problem I see that could easily be corrected is the pale gray horizontal line that separates the posts in between. This needs to stand out much more than it does. The same thing goes for the various post option icons that are present at the bottom as well. They are simply too pale. Too much use of pale colors added on top of the sea of white strains my eyes… and I’m a gamer for cryin’ out loud. Something to consider. :dizzy_face:

1 Like