Welcome to the New Forums!

If the user of TAN forums wishes to delete their image hosting account and with it allow all the images to die, then they have to right to do so, until someone else tries to archive them and deprive them of the right to no longer share them online.

ERGO: the content creator has the choice who to grant distribution rights to, like Sentai/TAN/Maiden Japan/AES Holdings has the choice who can stream their content.

If I were to post a single picture linked here from deviant art and this “forum” decided to host it, Deviant can send a C&D order for the ENTIRE forum, and seek legal action.

Does the “forum” creator have to be explained how copyright works in light it is running a site for a company that is heavily pirated on Youtube and has to fight copyright violations on a constant basis? I find that funny. (how many accounts on youtube are hosting the first season of Log Horizon right now?)

if it were hidden feature, then maybe nobody would have noticed, but the thing is, the NOTICES are pissing off the users for when this system aciton takes place. does that require admin action to disable as well since there is no user controlled action to disable those wannabe facebook notifications?

If TAN forums violate copyright and distribution of images, do they have grounds to complain that someone violates TAN copyrights and distribution rightts? just food for thought.

and remember NO user was asked if they agree to TAN hosting the images or knew about it until AFTER the change in “forum” software, and nothing in the forums TOS ever mentioned it before, so any violations fall strictly on TAN and fastly.net that hosts them.

You’re actually that upset about a notice? Don’t you think you could tone it down a little b/c it feels like you’re in dick mode again dude. You’re kinda being confrontational with Discourse Staff. The folks with final say so on site function are the Admins. If you focus your negative thoughts on the site towards the Admins I’m sure they can point you in the right direction.

I would like to re-iterate … this setting is 100% by the admins: @spazzysam @danielcastro @moisme @xvillain

If they wish they can go to site settings and disable it they can go to:

download remote images to local
Convert remote images to local images by downloading them; this prevents broken images."

We set the defaults, its up to every site to make their own decisions about policy.

What I object to is that calling Discourse out for something that is entirely not our fault.

3 Likes

So if I “double tap” CTRL + F then I can access the Find functionality of the browser? That’s better, though I’d still like it if there were an option to disable the forum intercepting hotkeys.

So long as I’m absolved from any potential blowback, I do like Discourse’s Disqus-esque ability to facilitate the posting and hosting of images directly as using Imgur or an equivalent was a time-consuming intermediate step. I haven’t yet found how I can use that functionality on mobile though.

Now that the notices only appear on the forum I don’t mind 'em as much, but when “system” and Coffee were blowing up my inbox with notifications, then it was a bit irksome. BTW, Google doesn’t quite have a grasp of Discourse emails as Gmail has predefined email categories and it has yet to place a Discourse email into the “Forum” category for me lol.

The “system” notifications for the auto image downloading process I feel are not needed. They are not that annoying, but that can depend on how many posts you are making with outside image URLs. Heck, I just upload directly after making a quick save of the image. But, that is just what I do though. Tsk-tsk… I guess.

Or… you can still link to it, and create a thumbnail too that links back to the source, by plugging it into the ‘From the web’ option. Just plug in the image link into the first box, and then plug in where you want it to go into the second. As I found out just recently though, the image will still be downloaded by the system later.

Click the image below…

[![](upload://bUIwNvP65hcloLzao9DSt4WHXOH.png)](http://www.clker.com/clipart-attention-sign.html)

What’s funny too that I noticed is that my plain code box was edited as well. That’s kind of cool. Hmmm… damn forum AI… LOL! The machines will take over the world one day I tell you! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway, we should however have various check-box options within our preferences to choose what notifications we actually want to receive to a point. This would be user-friendly for many. My two cents on it.

I don’t miss the ImageShack dance that I was using before… nor buggy Photobucket. And like as @sam_saffron stated, Imgur will eventually delete images after a certain amount of time and/or if you exceed your limit. Photobucket would irk me since their link system is tied to the album that you place the image in. If you move the image to another album, the link always would break. This happened too often. :angry:

My only main gripe with the image hosting system is that it is a tad bit slow loading images. Trust me… my PC nor connection is not an issue… 50MB+ down/6MB+ up. I’m not quite sure if this is software or server related. Just a bit of polishing on this would round it out. That’s all from me about this that I can come up with for now.

EDIT: 9 edits… LOL! I either keep finding stuff to add or I can’t post right today. Need more caffeine. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You designed the system. Likewise if you designed in your system a link to a video say on Hulu to be copied to the server to play through an embedded player via the current forums, it would be THE SAME THING. You are choosing to add a function into your software designed to violate copyrights. Imagine you have a user posting a link to a dub version of a TAN show to state there is a dub error. If you are hosting this video because someone posted a link to the media (remember an image is also media), then you are violating copyright. The entire function of the snatch-and-grab type coding is only really able to pirate and violate copyright of others work.

The problem is that you do not understand this. YOU DESIGNED THE FUNCTION IS WHY YOU ARE BEING CALLED OUT. This is not an image hosting site, nor a video hosting site, and should not be trying to do those things.

it was 100% by the choice of Discourse developers to create such code, not the admins of TAN, nor its users. Mo and spazzy cannot put code into this i am assuming to CURL another website to take its stuff. The fact that whatever this imgur is, but the more known and accepted photobucket allow for hotlinking, means that you are given THAT right to hotlink to those images. They want the traffic and the page hits/counts. Discourse is violating their right to traffic and coutns of those images for whatever advertising purposes they use them for by copying and storing the images on its own servers. which means Discourse creation of such code to do so will be what can cause TAN to be responsible and SUED for denying revenue to those people due to piracy of the media.

How in the HELL did TAN get in bed with a company that doesn't understand piracy and copyright violation and seems to want to promote it when anime piracy and copyright and distribution violation probabvly takes up more money than it should so TAN doesn't have enough time or money to get more new shows? I await something else along the lines of the Sojitz lawsuit from this nonsense and am even more disgusted at TAN for being hypocrits!

tl;dr Discourse created the code that allows the copyright violation, TAN admins did not. I doubt TAN admins knew about it as well as the many other failures like lack of user name length, lack of formatting such as colors which are required.

Again this software is a joke made for comment sections of things like Facebook and NOT a forum software. Form Follows Function. by design I am calling Discourse through its form to be made for piraters and copyright violators, as it was designed FOR them, not a legal rights holder.

> EOL

You know what else encourages “piracy” every web proxy ever invented by man, in fact your computer is pirating images by storing them in your cache folder. You are totally overreacting lobby your admins to disable the checkbox.

1 Like

Again Shadzar this is why you’re not a lawyer. Discourse made this software to be diverse and able to meet various needs of different types of websites. It’s up to the website to use it lawfully b/c of it’s multi-use platform. If you don’t like it then why don’t you take your disrespectful bullshit somewhere else?

This is only true if you upload an image to imgur without logging in. Any image which is uploaded to an account will remain accessible indefinitely.

Hi everyone,
I see that some tempers are running high and people feel strongly about this issue.
Please, take a breath and remember to keep our interactions civil.

This issue will be discussed amongst the admins and setting will be adjusted as necessary.
Thank you for bringing it up.

If anyone has a concern over how a feature of the forums works, please send an admin a PM or you can email us at: support@theanimenetwork.com
We’ll be glad to help you out.

Thanks!!!

1 Like

So I’m not the only one confused by the change. Good.

1 Like

[quote=“Hornet65, post:169, topic:7632”]
This is only true if you upload an image to imgur without logging in. Any image which is uploaded to an account will remain accessible indefinitely.[/quote]

Very true and thanks for bringing that up now. But, a few years ago I actually did lose some images on my created account. Of course that was some time ago when Imgur could of been changing something.

[quote=“spazzysam, post:170, topic:7632”]
This issue will be discussed amongst the admins and setting will be adjusted as necessary.[/quote]

Just as long as the image hosting system and ability to manually upload something here still remain… I will have nothing to complain about. :smile:

1 Like

How again do you do that with this piece of junk wannabe software? As I said there are at least 30 youtub accoutns with full episodes of Log Horizon Season 1 and Season 2 on them, and a few even have the TAN logo. Pretty sure TAN would have an account their if they chose, but you all went the Hulu route; but I spotted them when actually looking for an anime intro song (Database ~ Man on a Mission Featuring T) and they were everywhere. HEck after 7 years there still isnt a form on the TAN website where you can report these things!

Maybe a thread for reporting them where the link can be placed and the account could get its C&D from Sentai? I mean how many videos that Rai posted links too in anouncements ended up with “COPYRIGHT VIOLATION” notices for why the video was no longer available. It is pretty bad if we don’t know where to go to get Sentai show info and even the admins happen across one and don’t know it shouldnt be there because it comes form a Japan based account so Rai has an oops moment, or anyone else posting a show thread with a promo video that got blanked out in the thread here cause the video went down.

I will put that in the suggestions area if i can find it actually…but still why isn’t there a quick way to PM someone if need be, like any normal forum there is a easily visible and ready to click oon every page thing that takes you to the forum mail/PM system?

Leaders/Admins: AN Forums

If you’d put the same enthusiasm you have for complaining into reading whats already been explained to the entire forum when it was first updated and beyond you’d be like the rest of us who actually care about TAN.

To send a PM: Find any posting from the person you want to send a private message to. Click on that person’s avatar. Select “Private Message” from the pop-up. Done.

3 Likes

I see that the new version of Discourse was released recently. I’m not sure if it was ever posted here regarding this known issue, but it seems like the main profile background that we can upload is 2/3 grayed out because of this update. According to the release notes, this changed the pop-up user cards to make them see-through grayed out around the text too… for readability I’m presuming.

But, the main profiles are NOT see-through as I stated. The image just gets cut off. I believe this is something that needs to be updated within the Discourse software… and isn’t isolated to only TAN. I could be wrong though. Any update on this issue would be appreciated. Can this be fixed? :question:

A see-through grayed out section makes sense but only around the text itself… not the entire profile background or user card either like so. It defeats the purpose of having a background in the first place. This is something to consider more or less. The ability to toggle text colors too would help with this. Thank you.

:arrow_down: Click on for the larger version. :arrow_down:

1 Like

this site is now updates and profiles are see-through

2 Likes

[quote=“sam_saffron, post:177, topic:7632”]
this site is now updates and profiles are see-through[/quote]

Thank you for the reply, Sam. :smile: I do want to bring it to your attention though that it seems like profiles that have extended info that you can scroll through, like how I have a list on mine, still have the bottom 1/3 solid gray. I do see that you guys tweaked it for the middle section though. Is this supposed to look like this? That bottom area just looks odd to me. Here are a couple screenshots of my and another user’s profile below.

And… I hope you don’t mind, Wicca… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:arrow_down: Click on for the larger versions. :arrow_down:

Again, thank you for the reply and tweak so far that was done. I just wanted to bring this to your attention though. Is it supposed to be like this. Shouldn’t the gray ALL be see-through? Thank you for having patience with my infantile pleas though… LOL! Any help is always appreciated. Thank you again, Sam. :question:

The following info needs to be updated too in the ‘Preferences’ that is supplied under the sections for profile and user card background uploading. The dimensions are no longer correct. This was pre-update info…

Main Profile Background:

Info should be 1110px.

User Card Background:

Info should be 580px.

1 Like

Thanks, will have our designer have a look and get this sorted!

2 Likes

No problem at all. Thank you for the help. Appreciate it always around here. :smile:

1 Like