What's Cooking?

Today I present a dish that’s been in the Sadao family for over 100 years.

A Maryland Seafood bake:

Clams, Shrimp, and scallops over fettuccine with mozzarella and cheddar cheese in a white wine sauce.

7 Likes

@MaouSadao
Nice Looks like a good meal, do you make the wine sauce using the left over liquid from the shellfish to make the sauce?
Just a thought, this would be pretty cool IMO as a Chef, cook the seafood in a white wine and shellfish stock, when the shellfish is cooked use the liquid to make a white wine sauce, and then toss the fettuccine with the shellfish in the sauce or some sort, add the cheeses and broil until the cheese has melted. then plate… so this would be restaurant cooking I think

I just mixed a cocktail. Based on the “Velvet LeChance” at the Bee and Barb in Riften of Skyrim.

3 oz sweet Vermouth
1/4 oz Angostura
1/2 oz Honey
5 ea Blackberry
1 Large Egg White

Put berries, vermout, angostura, and Honey in a cocktail mixer and muddle the berries to extract the juice.
Add the egg white
Dry shake for about 10 seconds
Add 1 cracked Ice cube and 1 whole ice cube(we are talkin 2 in cube cubes) and shake well for 10 seconds.
Double strain into a martini glass and enjoy.

Double strain is to use a cocktail strainer to catch the ice, amd the second strainer is meant to catch the seeds.

You will find the sweetness of the vermouth and flowery honey to compliment the sour Flower of the berries and angostura. The egg white brings a velvety smooth textrue to the whole drink while acting as a sponge for all the flavors. You taste the blackberries and think lightly of a field of flowers.

I am tempted to try this with a regular vermouth, see how that goes

3 Likes

O_o

That’s exactly how I made it!

Wouldn’t specifically call it restaurant quality though :joy:

My cooking (and my entire family’s in general) use a lot of eyeballing on the quantity of ingredients, so I really can’t give exact instructions on how to create it. Can give the general gist of it, but unless I’m there, it wouldn’t be exactly as I create it…

2 Likes

Ah, it is the route which makes most sense I suppose, lots of flavor in those shellfish, wouldn’t want it to go to waste,

Let me guess, cream is one of the main parts of making the sauce, it just needs a gentle reduction

3 Likes

I didn’t have any cream, but butter does make an adequate substitution. :grin::+1:

2 Likes

Oh buerre blanc… Of course

3 Likes

Can’t eat that.

Got a shellfish alergie.

Sorry to hear that man.

Making a beefy Taco mix thingy. Basically hamburger helper, but I add fresh veggies and some canned goods to stretch it out.
While it does make me a little (a lot) gassy, its filling and pretty good. Also faster to make and less need of spices. Add a bit of rice and youre pretty good. I use a can of corn and 2 cans of charros beans. 2 sweet peppers 2 jalapeños and a yellow onion and lean ground turkey (trying to work on cholesterol but bacon you know?)
I should have thought of this years ago because i get between 6 to 8 meals from this and it is around 7 dollars.

5 Likes

:astonished:

That sounds good!

(Maybe less Jalas for me though)

3 Likes

Ah, @MaouSadao & @Haissan are true Chefs and followers of the “Exact Measurements” school of cookery. In other words “That looks right!” & “Just a Dab more.” used extensively during prep and cooking.

I’ve got to remember the Sadao Family Seafood Bake the next time we have a seafood craving going on. @Haissan we have a close cousin of the Taco / Chilli Rice that you make. It’s cheap and has been a staple in our household for decades.

Mark Gosdin

4 Likes

@mgosdin & @MaouSadao When it comes to cooking, theres a time and place for measuring and another for getting the feel for it. sometimes it becomes the same thing. With these box meal things, its great to add your own bits to bulk it up and spread it out, also makes for better flavors. adding onion can’t really go all that wrong.
I made a chicken alfredo thing, added onions and mushrooms and it really popped. I do the same when I buy spaghetti sauce and do the meat and all that, fresh ingredients to bulk it and flesh it out.

I’ve also bought that instant curry stuff before, the kind in the dried blocks, I like it, good amounts of portions with the rice.

I kid you not this particular recipe gives me that dankest gas you could imagine. I have gagged myself with it.

3 Likes

@mgosdin here’s the ingredients (estimated of course)

2 bags of 41-60 Shrimp
2 bags of scallops
16 clams in shell (or 8 clams and 8 mussels, both work)
8 ounce bag of Mozzarella cheese
4 ounces of Mild Cheddar
1 box fettuccine noodles
Pinot Grigio wine
Butter
Oregano
Parsley
Rosemary
Olive Oil

• Cook the noodles with a little olive oil and butter till before aldente (soft enough to bend, but still kinda crunchy. Drain, and add parsley, butter, and 1/4 bottle of wine.

• Fill another pan with 1/4 bottle of wine and butter. Heat to boiling. Then reduce heat and add a couple shakes of the oregano and rosemary.

• Add seafood to wine mixture. Let cook for about 10 minutes.

• Remove Shrimp, scallops, and if they popped open, the shelled shellfish.

• Add another scoop of butter and increase heat until all shelled seafood pops open.

• Layer the noodles and half the bag of Mozzarella, followed by the seafood and the rest of the mozzarella.

• Pour the juice from the seafood pan into the baking pan until you can just see the liquid.(If there’s less, that’s ok too.)

• Bake for 15 minutes at 350°

• Remove from oven, and add cheddar on top.

• Broil on High for 5 minutes, or until the cheddar looks crispy enough.

That pan served 4 people btw…

@Haissan

3d1764480205a49e8e5449a885b43abd

3 Likes

Thought I’d try a baked spaghetti :thinking:

6 Likes

How’d it turn out?

3 Likes

It didn’t even make it to leftovers :grin:

3 Likes

Im cooking up a menu fir a family reunion thing. I have saturday pines up getting a consensus for friday night that leaves sunday morning and afternoon.

3 Likes

Wanted some chili dogs:

7 Likes

3 meals for 13 people. Breakfast lunch and dinner. Fri dinner is carnitas, eleote con pimiento s, and slaw… I made salsa for chips and salsa, also there is guacamole. Breakfast is french toast from brioche bacon and eggs, lunch is chicken salad sandwiches on croissants and chips.

4 Likes

Made a simple meatloaf with red peppers and onions with mashed potatoes and peas

5 Likes