Detroit Metal City

Detroit Metal City

Genres: comedy
Themes: music, stardom
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Detroit Metal City (DMC) is a quickly rising independent Death Metal band. They garner fame by performing wild live shows and writing songs filled with hate, violence, and rape. The band is fronted by Sōichi Negishi who takes on the stage name Krauser II. On stage he is a wild-unchained beast. Off-stage he is a tranquil, tender-loving person who enjoys Swedish Pop music. He hates himself as Krauser and his two personalities collide making his private life very difficult.
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2008-08-08

ANN Info Page

Sentai Filmworks PR

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “DETROIT METAL CITY: THE ANIMATED SERIES”

HOUSTON, July 1, 2012 — Get ready for the ear-splittingest, skull-smashingest band to ever assault your senses in Sentai Filmworks latest acquisition: Kiminori Wakasugi’s Detroit Metal City: The Animated Series. Featuring direction by Hiroshi Nagahama (Mushi-Shi) and pulse-pounding music, these twelve episodes will leave your head reeling, your heart racing and your inner metal freak screaming for more!

Led by phallus-waiving terrorist-from-hell Johannes Krauser II (guitar/vocals,) and given pulsing, throbbing life by indestructible drummer Camus and bassist Alexander Jagi, Detroit Metal City is the hottest ticket on the concert circuit! There’s just one catch. That ”hottest ticket” is just a meal ticket, and beneath the makeup, these ultimate head-bangers are hired doppelgangers who don’t even LIKE what they do! Jaggi is actually Wada, who wants to play glam rock; Camus is Nishida, an anime fan with an appalling weakness for curry and NSFW videos; and Krauser is… oh the shame… street-singing Soichi Negishi, whose dreams of singing happy pop hits seem hopelessly doomed by the success of his rage-fueled alter ego! Worse, he can’t even tell anyone who Krauser is. Not even the girl he likes, who HATES DMC! Will rage against the corporate machine consume Negishi’s tortured soul? Is there life after death metal? What it’s like to put your head in a jet engine and turn up the volume? Find out as angst, amps and anarchy collide in Detroit Metal City!

Detroit Metal City: The Animated Series will be available through select digital outlets soon with a home video release on subtitled DVD to follow.

About Sentai Filmworks:
Sentai Filmworks is one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, producing hit series like High School of the Dead, Towanoquon, Samurai Girls, Guin Saga, Needless and Angel Beats as well as high profile theatrical films such as Grave of the Fireflies and Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks’ programs can be found on home video distributed by Ingram Entertainment, Baker & Taylor, Section23Films, The Right Stuf and other good and fine distributors. Digital product offerings may be found at iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Zune Marketplace, Anime Network, Playstation Network, Android Market and YouTube.

14 minutes per episode? Eh?

Yup, just like Metalocalypse, well at least seasons 1,2, and 4.

Cover/Disc Art

DVD

“Heavy Metal that’s darker than Black”

…“Blacker than the Blackest of Black…TIMES INFINITY!!!” – Nathan Explosion

I think there’s a misprint here as the audio is listed as Japanese only :silly:

Seriously, this needs a dub. It’s nice that the back of the box homages, accidentally I’m sure, a modern anime classic. Speaking of the back of the box, when I click on the thumbnail picture in the post, it does not enlarge. The front/obverse thumbnail does. :blink:

That tends to happen on this forum when Amazon adds a % to their randomly generated url.

Well the cover art looks pretty cool. Which is just a plus as I’ve committed to my preorder, doing my part to convince Sentai to dub it. I’ve never seen it, but even if it does turn out to be as “bad” as the ANN forums tell me it is, a dub will make it awesome. Dubs, well, Sentai dubs, are the Philosophers’ Stone of anime…the classical version, not the FMA version :wink:

Besides, it can’t be worse than Season 4 of Metalocalypse. Total disappointment, I think the constant references to the characters having writers’ block was Brendan Small trying to tell us something :frowning:

It’ll be nice to have an anime series that can be quickly watched (under 3 hours!). That reminds me: why did shorts like Five Numbers, Coicent, and This Boy Can Fight Aliens get dubs but this didn’t? Any info on that?

Well, I can see a possible reason why this didn’t come with a dub. It’s so inappropriately hilarious, but it is very, ah, “Japanese” and I’m not sure how it’d work in English.

I wish the Japanese had put more effort into the actual music and instrument playing animation in the show. The lyrics don’t have that completely-ridiculous, over-the-top nature as the Metalocalypse ones do, and that could make a dub weird.

But if anyone can do it, Sentai can. Who else could have a voice actor who has the power to say the word “rape” 11 times in a single second?

ANN - Anime in America: The Best (And Most Notable) of 2012

by Theron Martin, Jan 1st 2013

Looks like a lot of Sentai stuff won catagories this year.

Opener of the Year

Carl’s Pick: “Satsugai,” by Detroit Metal City, Detroit Metal City

Eps. 01 & 02

Ok, that was just funny as hell!
I may actually have to get this one eventually.

I’m somewhat surprised that you haven’t already :wink:

Go to DMC!

…I’d forgotten about the praise that Satsugai received. It does have an utterly hilarious, IMO, backstory/moment in the Kiba episode which needs to be seen.

Episodes 1-12 are live at ANO

Wait, why is the stream one episode a week while VoD is two a week?

I’m somewhat surprised that the whole series isn’t on here since it is so old (by Japanese release date) and because 2 other older TAN releases for this weekend will have all of their eps available to stream this weekend.

This series is new to Anime Network, the other two are not.

This really is a series that should be “binged”, seen in a sitting or 2. It’s more than short enough for that. Originally I watched it 1 ep a day, from the DVD, and enjoyed it though I enjoyed it much more on subsequent viewings by watching more of the show at a time. I think that a week between eps of this series is too much but, well, that’s a good place to use this nifty widget that I was given a while back (Thx, btw):

Maybe views here will inspire Sentai to dub it. Could it be the most offensive, hilarious dub ever devised?

Although the comedy is mostly of the same nature (the main character will slip into the Krauser persona and screw up), the sight gags and subs are hilarious. I’m not sure though that the dialog in Japanese is as raunchy and lewd as the subs indicate…whoever did the translation at Sentai probably had “carte blanche” and much leeway as wanted.

I mean…just the “fish” line in ep. 03’s preview :woohoo:

I’ve seen fansubs for this which use language that makes South Park’s Eric Cartman, or even an uncensored/intelligible Kenny, sound as though he were rated Y in comparison, and given the excessive effusion of execrations those characters utter that is no small feat.

Does he really screw up when he becomes Johannes Krauser II or is he the screwup when he’s in his normal persona, a wimpy loser who struggles mightily to achieve success and earn respect but always falls short, much like Alan Harper in the pre-season 8 episodes of Two & a Half Men (I never understood the hate ADV had for that show)?

I could have done without “The Corrupt Pig of Capitalism”, however. It doesn’t jibe with the show as it doesn’t have a strong political message shown elsewhere (thankfully). His episode was hilarious but so wrong on so many levels. If I ever doubted that line about Japan from Samurai Champloo, where Japan is compared to Ancient Greece, well this show, specifically that episode, cleared it up lol.

Cover/Disc Art

BD

My copy shipped out yesterday, according to RightStuf.

Copy arrived in a cheapy yellow bubble mailer (instead of the normal folding cardboard box) sealed with Rightstuf’s “signature” stringy brown tape.