Figure 17

###Figure 17

[quote]Genres: action, science fiction, slice of life
Themes: aliens
Objectionable content: Mild
Plot Summary: Tsubasa Shiina is a 10-year-old girl who recently moved to Hokkaido to live with her father. In school, she is very quiet and unsociable with her classmates. Then one night, she witnesses a UFO crash in the forest near her home. She rushes to the scene and finds the pilot, codenamed “D.D.”, in a barely stable condition. Also in the scene is a Maguar, a hideous alien that hatched aboard D.D.'s ship. As the Maguar is close to taking Tsubasa’s life, an alien lifeform fuses with her body to form the Riberus battle armor Figure 17, which shortly destroys the alien threat. The life form takes the name Hikaru and turns into an identical twin of Tsubasa. As time passes, Tsubasa becomes more open to everyone around her, thanks to her new twin sister Hikaru. However, with Maguar eggs scattered all over Hokkaido, their ability to form Figure 17 is needed to eliminate all hatched Maguars until backup from D.D.'s home planet arrives on Earth.
Number of Episodes: 13
Vintage: 2001-05-27 to 2002-05-26[/quote]

ANN Info Page

So, anyyone ever see this series before? I recently started to watch it and it’s quite a good series. It spends a lot of time on the slice of life scenes and I love that. This is (so far) much more about Tsubasa coming out of her shell, being more confident and her opening up to those around her, then about fighting aliens. All the sci-fi stuff seems to there for more allegorical reasons then for the plot. Although it’s still very well written, and very interesting. Still the emphasis is on the day to day life of Tsubasa (and Hikaru), so going into this expecting a great science fiction story may not be the best thing to do. Think more Shingu then Ghost in the Shell SAC. Still, I’m only a few episodes in and I find it has a very compelling and fascinating story, that I think many people here would enjoy (or probably already saw :stuck_out_tongue: ). I really got into this series! It’s quite a deep show too, and has a lot to say. Just because the main character is a ten year old (and looks even younger), doesn’t mean this is for children. Although I don’t think there’s anything really objectionable in it(yet), I don’t think they’d enjoy this, nor would they understand much of it. This reminds me of “Kino’s Journey” or “Haibane Renmei” type of mature, in that it doesn’t have a lot/any violence, gore, sex, etc., but it’s mature, sophisticated, and intelligent. The slow pacing may bother some, but I love it!

Oh and the music is AMAZING. Wow just wow. Perhaps it’s a little repetitive, but I love every background theme they have, and the OP and ED are amazing. I like the art style, and the animation is pretty good. The art’s just not very detailed.

I’ve never even heard of this show. But it appears that Media Blasters released the anime here, and ADV did the manga. It sounds interesting, so I may have to check it out sometime.

Yeah I never heard of it either, but I was suggested it awhile ago on AoD. I looked into it and the person was right, this was something I would enjoy. So I blind bought it off rightstuf awhile ago, just got to watching it now though. It’s quite a good show.

But like I said, the sci-fi elements (i.e. Alien fights) seem like plot devices, not that that’s a bad thing, in fact I like the approach it’s taking. But I know hardcore sci-fi fans will be disapointed with this one.

Same here: never heard of this show before. But now after reading the plot synopsis, I’m intrigued. Seems I’m gonna have to get this and add to the wall.

I have seen it several times and love it. It has great character development and makes you really care about the girls. I would put this in the top 1% of all anime.

Keep the tissues handy for later episodes as they will make you cry.

ShawnMerrow: Wow the top 1% of all anime? IDK if I can rate anime that way, but it’s truly becoming an amazing show. I really like the slice of life scenes, and the great pacing. You really grow to care abaout the characters, and I like each and every one of them (so far). None are anoying or anything, that’s rare for me. Also the messages it’s trying to make are quite interesting, and feel very genuine.

looks interesting

Tubi TV Adds Figure 17 Anime

posted on 2017-12-18 17:30 EST