Hakuōki / Hakuōki ~ Demon of the Fleeting Blossom – Dawn of the Shinsengumi

Season 3, Episode 11, is live at ANO

Season 3, Episode 12 :end:, is live at ANO

Season 2 Cover/Disc Art

DVD

Hakuōki Film Project Slated for Summer

posted on 2013-01-20 11:50 EST

I hope that Sentai picks those movies up and then they get shown here on TAN! ^.^

Season 2, Episode 1 (Dub), is live at ANO

Watched ep 1. It had a weird Samurai 7 feeling–maybe it was just Greg Ayres lol.

Anyhow, no surprise, it was like a reformulation of Samurai Champloo, featuring too much bromance and not enough badass. I was really hoping that this would be Samurai Champloo 2.0 :frowning:

Does it get better?

Well seeing as this is what one would call “historical fiction”, I would say the ‘bromace’ part is a given since the real Shinsegumi was an all male police corp for the shogunate.

It has more in common with “Peacemaker” than “Samurai Champloo”.

What, you didn’t think Mugen and Jin were bromantic enough?

“All male” doesn’t mean that it has to be bromantic. I also aren’t liking how they’re portraying the Shinsengumi here: they’re the exact opposite of the stoic, disciplined warriors that they’re hyped as being; these guys are supposed to be like Jin (or at least that assassin from that disturbing bathing scene) from Samurai Champloo, not the wear-emotions-on-sleeve borderline drama queens that I saw in ep 1. I suppose that’s the “fiction” part of “historical fiction” taking an ugly turn. I don’t much mind the Shinsengumi guys going for each other, as Samurai Champloo illustrated, that’s historically appropriate, and I could even pardon the “poetic license” employed to make them all into bishounen. What I do mind is that these guys aren’t “badasses” by any stretch of the word, they’re preening punks & that doesn’t fit with the “reputation” of the Shinsengumi. I also didn’t find it entertaining.

Mugen & Jin did not have a bromance.

So, does this get better? Ep 1 was like watching an episode of FOX’s New Girl, but worse.

As I’ve never watched New Girl I can’t really say if it gets that much better or not, but the series doesn’t really focus that much on the Shinsengumi, it focuses more on the girl and you rarely get to see anything that she isn’t a part of. Of course, considering that, if I’m right, it’s based on a dating sim for the PSP (same title, very similar opening events, and same character designs and names; yes, I’ve played said dating sim some, it’s available for rent from Gamefly) I’d say it’s a given that it was going to be more fiction than historical in the first place. It does eventually bring in some fantasy-type elements, but they don’t seem to be a significant part until the tail end and the second season.

Thanks.

I think I’ll be putting this show on the “back-burner” as a show more focused on the kinda hapless damsel-in-distress girl than on action isn’t really calling out for me to watch right now. Oh well, after I finish off the new streams & some old shows on BD/DVD/Netflix I’ll give it another go.

I really want to find a show, with a dub directed by Chris Ayres (cause he seems like a cool guy & he’s easily found for autographs), that makes me feel ultra-compelled to watch the next episode. It’s brutal that all the shows with his dubs that I’ve seen are more “s’okay” than “zomg! Awesome” IMO.

A Memory of Snow Flowers Cover/Disc Art

DVD

I just finished the series on DVD. Don’t worry, I won’t spoil it for any of you.

Which one?
This is kind of an all encompassing thread for all three seasons + the OVA.
And probably the movie as well, if Sentai winds up with that license.

1st Hakuōki Anime Film’s Staff, Cast, Date Revealed

posted on 2013-04-21 11:45 EDT
Studio DEEN reunites staff with game’s cast for 1st of 2 films on August 24

I stuck through the end of the second season. It almost turns into a romantic comedy set in a war at the end. I mean, a couple of scenes that were supposed to be serious I was laughing at the dialogue in.

Season 4, Episode 1 (Dub), is live at ANO

ys iv seen this anime well only ep 1 but it was awesome!

1st Hakuōki Anime Film’s Teaser Posted

posted on 2013-07-10 19:30 EDT
1st of 2 films to tell all-new story to open in Japan on August 24

That movie trailer looked really awesome. Wonder what’s up with Chizuru and the mask. I really hope that Sentai and TAN pick this up someday! ^^