Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi / Abenobashi Mahō Shōtengai

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi/Abenobashi Mahō Shōtengai

Genres: adventure, comedy
Themes: parody
Objectionable content: Significant
Number of episodes: 13
Vintage: 2002-04-04 to 2002-06-27

Plot Summary: Imamiya Satoshi, “Sasshi” to his friends, has grown up in the Abenobashi Shopping Arcade in Osaka, along with his childhood friend, Asahina Arumi. Now, all that was stable in his life is in ruins. His family’s bath house has closed and been torn down, and Arumi’s family is moving to Hokkaido - and taking her with them. In the midst of all this, something happens to the framework of reality, and Sasshi and Arumi slip into a weird parallel world. It’s still Abenobashi, but not their Abenobashi. Strange things are afoot, and Sasshi must find out their meaning, in order to reach a goal that he barely understands.

ANN Info Page

1 Like

This is a fun as hell series and everyone should watch it at least once.

1 Like

One of my favorite episodes is when they visit the “dating sim” world, especially the ending. “Uguuu!” LOL I was lucky enough to watch that right after seeing Kanon, which definitely helped my appreciation of it.

I actually have three sets of this. The first thin pack without the extras, then two copies of the Perfect Edition in the tin with all the extras intact. I got one as a “$10 Blind Box Bargain” from Right Stuf.

This show is definitely a blast! Though a fairly thorough understanding anime is an admission requirement. Also, the opening is AWESOME!

1 Like

That was a lot funnier after I saw Kanon. :laugh:

1 Like

Unfortunately, it did sort of ruin the ending for my friend who hadn’t finishing watching Kanon… :silly:

1 Like

Oops

1 Like

Complete Collection Re-Release Cover/Disc Art

DVD

1 Like

Something I’ve been wondering for some time now.

My ADV set is the rerelease complete series set, in which they decided to not include any special features (not even clean OP or ED)

Why did Sentai decide to include the special features from the original release?

Actually, it seems like these are the original ADV masters :thinking:

I’m not sure . I have the original 4 disc and the perfect collection they did it , Nadia , and Neon Genesis in those tin boxes . If I need filler for a Rightstuf holiday sale or the next sentai sale I’ll throw the newer release in to compare . I think it was one of the first ADVid-notes releases if I remember right . So it’s interesting to me if they included those as video liner notes .

1 Like

They did include the liner notes!

1 Like

Thats nice . Gives me hope if they ever rerelease other series that had them or get back say Excel Saga they will use them . For the shows missing them they were very important to understanding things .

1 Like

Pop in to POP UP VIDEO :joy:

2 Likes

Well that appears to be the ADVidnotes I remember . I’ll ad the set the next time I need filler if nothing else to cut the disc count by 1 . Plus my disc are packed up and I kind of want to watch the show . Maybe tomorrow if the Rightstuf mega deal of the day is good .

2 Likes

One other thing though, this rerelease has the Japanese text credits just as Azumanga Daioh does.

For some reason, this doesn’t bother me this time around :thinking:

1 Like
Found my original release copies while I was looking for something else . Same pop-ups . Though looks like they cleaned up some of the video .

The 11 to 19 page Abenobashi Spoilers were one of those nice touches I feel they just don’t do much anymore . That was one of the cool things about single volumes was the extras some came with . Plus the additional art of course .

1 Like