Wake Up, Girls!

Wake Up, Girls!

Watch on HIDIVE

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: idols, music
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Green Leaves Entertainment is a tiny production company on the verge of going out of business in Sendai, the biggest city in Japan’s northeastern Tohoku region. The agency once managed the careers of magicians, photo idols, fortune-tellers, and other entertainers, but its last remaining client finally quit. In danger of having zero talent (literally), the president Tange hatches an idea of producing an idol group. On the brash president’s orders, the dissatisfied manager Matsuda heads out to scout raw talent. Matsuda makes a fateful encounter with a certain girl…
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2014-01-10

ANN Info Page
Wake Up, Girls! Official JP Homepage

Wake Up, Girls! New Chapter / Shin Shō

Themes: idols
Vintage: 2017-10-09

ANN Info Page

Wake Up, Girl Zoo! (ONA) Vintage: 2014-10-22

Wake Up, Girls!: The Movie / Wake Up, Girls! - Seven Idols Vintage: 2014-01-10
Wake Up, Girls! Seishun no Kage (movie) Vintage: 2015-09-25
Wake Up, Girls! Beyond the Bottom (movie) Vintage: 2015-12-11

Kannagi Director, Idolm@ster Writer Make ‘Wake Up, Girls!’ Anime

posted on 2012-09-10 04:30 EDT
Avex, 81 Produce hold auditions for project billed as reunion of Lucky Star staff

Wake Up, Girls! Gets Film Debuting on Same Day as TV Anime

posted on 2013-11-08 13:15 EST
Yuka Ōtsubo, Emiri Katō, Kaori Fukuhara, Satomi Akesaka, Nozomi Yamamoto, Kiyono Yasuno join January anime’s cast

Wake Up, Girls! Anime’s Promo Video Streamed

posted on 2013-12-15 17:40 EST
Kannagi director Yamakan, Idolm@ster writer Machida create January show & film

Crunchyroll to Stream Wake Up, Girls! film & TV series

posted on 2014-01-04 20:53 EST

Wake Up, Girls! Director Yamakan Recruits Staff on Twitter

posted on 2014-01-18 23:41 EST
Ordet anime studio is taking calls for joint project with Tatsunoko Productions

Movie + Ep. 01

As a note: The movie must be watched first before the TV series.

Even though this is basically just one big commercial for the new Wake Up, Girls! idol group, I’m actually rather enjoying this one.

Especially the OP song, which was also played in full during the concert at the end of the movie.

Ep. 02

That… was amazingly uncomfortable.

SPOILER

While I like that this series isn’t all rainbows and sunshine like so many other series that focuses on idols and delves into the less savory side of the entertainment industry of the lower tier idol acts, it really is uncomfortable watching it.

That being said, not sure yet how to feel about Tange coming back at the drop of a hat like that, though it was rather nice that she gave Sudo a right thrashing like she did.

Episode 5 –

spoiler

There is a vast amount of difference between the I-1 Club and WUG. But at least WUG is more human. The other group seems like a bunch of robots. Their training is harsh and militaristic. One mistake and you’re out. I do like that this anime shows the darker side of being an idol. It isn’t all bubblegum and lollipops. It’s a lot of hard work, struggle, and disappointment. At least it seems like WUG may finally be getting some notice for their efforts.

Episodes 6 & 7 –

spoiler

I thought kicking Airi out of the group might be a test of some kind. I’m glad to see that while the girls are ambitious, they are no where near as bad as the I-1 Club. They fought to keep Airi with them, against Hayasaka’s decision and they even encouraged Airi not to quit.

In the end, Airi comes back to the group. I think Hayasaka wanted to see how close the girls were and if they would support each other, unlike that other group, but I still question his motives. I’m still not sure what he’s after.

Ep. 06

spoiler

Tasuku seems like a real ass, but something seems off.

I think he actually does like the girls, he just wants them to be able to work together as a group.

Ep. 07

spoiler

It kinda looks more and more like my views on Tasuku were accurate.

That whole claw crane scene made me laugh.

As much as I want to believe he wanted them to do that to work on their teamwork, I feel like his true motivation was just to get the little plushies.

All in all though, there was some nice character development in this episode revolving around Airi.

Episode 8 –

spoiler

So, it was Shiraki that sent Hayasaka to the girls. And why does he seem so interested in Mayu? The plot thickens!

The upcoming competition seems to be turning Mayu into a bit of a monster. Well, she does know what the girls are going up against at the contest and she may be trying to prepare them in her own way.

But now I am wondering if Shiraki wants her back in I-1 and, if he does ask her, is that what Mayu really wants? Perhaps that is the real reason Shiraki sent Hayasaka to them – to see if Mayu is still good enough to be invited back to I-1. I know Mayu wants to beat I-1 at this point, but still.

I hope the story goes more into the why of Mayu leaving I-1. The previous hints of a scandal just aren’t enough to satisfy my curiosity. And it seems that the pressure is already getting to everyone.

On another note, I see Hayasaka is still hanging on to those stuffed toys! LOL

See, that part actually kinda confused me.

spoiler

At the beginning of the conversation, Shiraki asks Hayasaka how Wake Up, Girls! are doing and Hayasaka responds with “Oh? You already heard about that?” but at the end of the conversation, Shiraki says he’s doing them a favor by sending Hayasaka.

I’m not quite sure whether Hayasaka went on his own and Shiraki’s ego is that big, that he claims to have sent Hayasaka, or if Shiraki really did send Hayasaka with a motive we don’t know yet.

Ep. 09

And we finally get Mayu’s side of the story!

Episode 9 –

spoiler

Mayu finally shares her story and her history with the I-1 Club. That Shiraki is a real son of a B! And Mayu’s mother is just as bad. These girls are supposed to be robots that can’t even think for themselves. Shiraki has them give up their humanity to be idols. This is no way to live.

I also think the contest was fixed and the scandal was made up as well. Mayu was the best, but she was a troublemaker in Shiraki’s eyes and that is just something he didn’t need. I’m sure he was thinking that Mayu might infect the rest of his girls with her wild thoughts and humanity. I can see how Mayu was affected by the industry, but I’m glad she isn’t giving up. I thinks she’s in the right place now, with the right people around her.

Ep. 10

I have a feeling Wake Up, Girls! winning the contest was set up.
It would have been nice to see some of the other idol acts perfume though.

Episode 10 –

spoiler

Son of a……!!! Hayasaka gave I-1 and WUG the same song! And mostly likely the same choreography too. I knew that man shouldn’t be trusted. Now it will look as if WUG is copying I-1, or worse – stealing their material. I hope the girls can overcome this roadblock now.

At least the girls won the first part of the contest, and they certainly deserved it, but now I am paranoid again and wondering if Shiraki fixed the contest so that they would win. I still don’t know what he’s up to, and I still don’t trust him either.

Episode 11 –

spoiler

I think the girls are being tested again. Hayasaka has brought them a new song and new choreography, but they only have a little time to perfect the routine. And according to Hayasaka, “top idols” can do it in a day. He also picks Nanase over Mayu to be the center. Another test? All too soon, it’s time for Tokyo. The girls are nervous and after an accident, I wonder if Nanase will be able to perform.

Ep. 11

That’ll really suck if Yoppi can’t perform, they’ll have to withdraw from the competition.

Episode 12 –

spoiler

It’s time for rehersal and Nanase hasn’t told anyone about her ankle. Obviously, it doesn’t go well, as Nanase makes mistakes, and the girls notice. Nanase is questioned about her leg and her fall earlier. She finally shows everyone her ankle and tells them that it isn’t a problem. But it so obviously is.

When it becomes an issue, Nanase begs the girls to perform without her, but Nanase is the center and it’s too late to sub her. Mayu says they should withdraw. The rest of the girls agree. Matsuda asks Tange what they should do. But Shiho enters the room, saying that she won’t let Mayu quit. She has a first aid team with her, and they tape up Nanase’s ankle. It’s only a quick fix, but it should get her through the performance. Mayu thanks Shiho. The routine is changed up a little to accommodate Nanase.

Just before the performance, Nanase is asked one last time if she’s sure she can make it and she says that she can. The girls take the stage, supported by their few faithful fans. Whispers spread once Mayu is recognized, but the WUG fans try to drown them out. Sadly, the auditorium quiets down and the girls are met with silence as they introduce themselves.

But once they begin to sing, the audience sees how good they are, and the red lights slowly turn to green as WUG gains support. Soon, the entire auditorium is awash in green lights and WUG is cheered on by one and all. I couldn’t tell if Shiraki was pleased or not. He has such a poker face. But at least Hayasaka smiled. Nanase decides to do her jump, but it doesn’t go well. The girls try to cover it up, so she didn’t fall, but she was still seen.

The audience is still cheering and I-1 is watching a monitor backstage. The girls agree that it must be Haysaka’s song, but others says they can see how much work WUG has put into their performance. I think Shiho is secretly pleased that they are doing so well and she still swears not to lose. After the song, the auditorium erupts with cheers and applause. The WUG fans begin a chant of “Wake Up Girls!!” and the entire audience picks it up. That must have felt amazing, and the girls are stunned. This is going to be a tough act to follow as the I-1 Club is announced.

Once WUG is backstage, the girls begin to cry. It’s the only way to deal with the amazing and emotional performance they just gave. Even Tange tears up, and it looked like Matsuda wanted to as well. After the I-1 performance, the winner is announced. And it isn’t WUG! The Akamiso All Stars from Chubu take the prize. Hayasaka makes a face. Was this result fixed too? And now Tange has to avoid the realtor. She never should have counted her chickens before they hatched! LOL But when Matsuda answers the ringing phone, it’s a well known record label in Tokyo, and they want to sign WUG! They are on their way now!

I really enjoyed this anime. I liked that they focused more on what it really means to be an idol. It’s a lot of hard work, blood, sweat, tears, and disappointment. But sometimes it pays off in the end. I’m glad this show had a happy ending. The girls deserved it and it really felt good. Sometimes there really is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

2nd Wake Up, Girls! Blu-ray Delayed 3 Weeks

posted on 2014-03-31 23:57 EDT

Anime Central to Host Wake Up, Girls! Singing Group, Producer, & Director

posted on 2014-04-14 09:00 EDT
7-member voice actress group listed as musical guest

Anime Expo to Host Wake Up, Girls! Director Yutaka Yamamoto

posted on 2014-05-16 10:00 EDT
Convention also hosting Kill la Kill staff, Japanese band Angela

“Crunchyroll x Tokyo: Wake Up, Girls! Interview”

April 15, 2014 7:05pm CDT
The latest episode of Crunchyroll’s new series

Wake Up, Girls! Anime Gets Animal Mascot Spinoff Shorts

posted on 2014-08-10 02:30 EDT
Wake Up, Girl Zoo! reimagines cast as mini animals starting in September

Wake Up, Girl Zoo! Anime’s 1st Episode Previewed

posted on 2014-09-05 10:30 EDT
Idols are turned into animals that work at zoo for series of anime shorts

Wake Up Girls Spinoff’s Episode #1, 2 Slated for October 22

posted on 2014-10-12 23:57 EDT

Crunchyroll to Stream Wake Up, Girl ZOO! Spinoff Anime Shorts

posted on 2014-12-02 18:45 EST
Also schedules live-action Iryū - Team Medical Dragon season 2, A Taste of Honey

Wake Up, Girls! Anime Gets New Film in 2015

posted on 2014-12-14 07:41 EST
Staff to return to produce continuation of January anime, 1st film

“Wake Up, Girls!” Anime Theme Song “Tachiagare!” PV Posted

February 11, 2015 12:30am CST
Best album “Wake Up, Best!” hits stores March 18

Next Wake up, Girls! Anime to be Split Into 2 Films

posted on 2015-03-18 09:17 EDT
1st, 2nd films serving as epilogue to original TV anime premiere in September, December

Wake-Up Girls! Cast Cheer On Sendai Baseball Team

posted on 2015-05-27 18:15 EDT by Carlos Cadorniga

Wake Up, Girls! Re-broadcasting Program - short movie by members June broadcast.