ADV cuts prices on future DVD sets

Actually, it’s cheaper to keep a current customer than to create a new one. Something that was pounded into my head in all of my marketing classes.

As for cheaper Anime, I’m all for it. I just hope that the packaging doesn’t suffer too much. I know that I definitely was not pleased with the packaging on the Blu-Ray version of Samurai 7 (not an ADV show, but it’s the only example I can think of right now). I’d rather pay a few more dollars and get solid packaging.

Like how the Nanaka 6/17 and Clannad Part 1 had only some on-disc extras and not even an insert or booklet of any kind? Even Funi at least puts some kind of catalog flyer in the ones that don’t come with a book of any kind.

The packaging unfortunately is the first casualty of cheaper.
Funimation went with thinpaks in paper thin boxes , Media Blasters and Bandai with multi-disc liteboxes , and ADV with the Stackpak.

All inferior to the days of chipboard artboxes and M-lock multi-disc cases.

We went back in time in terms of packaging back to the days of paper thin and Alphapak bricks sure we are not paying a high dollar ,but the value of the product has gone down to the point they are forced to cut corners to make a profit. Even cutting corners some titles just won’t make a profit.

It also does not help that in general the loudest spoken anime fans seem to have a schizophrenic attitude. So our voice is a confusing heap.

I doubt we will ever get back to the way it was only 2 years ago and probably things will get worse before they get better.

I don’t think we will lose anymore anime companies this year.
Next year though if something good does not happen by the end of this year. I’d say we will see a even bigger change and loss.

Yeah it’s a shame but extras and packaging are the first things on the chopping block. They have to cut corners some how. I’m just glad the price has dropped as that helps me in the long run. Of course I enjoy a nice looking DVD package as much as the next guy, we gata play with what we are dealt. It’s like a game of poker…or something.

While extras are nice, it’s the anime that I want to see. As long as that isn’t compromised, I’m good.