Akira Live Action movie

June 15, 2009 - If you were hoping to see that live-action, big screen version of the anime classic Akira, well, stop hoping.

According to Bloody-Disgusting, director Ruairi Robinson has parted ways with the project. The site adds that they have heard the Leonardo DiCaprio-produced remake is “dead as a doornail.”

Warner Bros. reportedly hoped to make two live-action Akira films based on three of the books in Katsuhiro Otomo’s six-volume series, updating the action from Tokyo to New York City.

Dead…for now.
How many times was Speed Racer and Dragonball dead? Countless of times, but eventually they were made. So it doesn’t mean diddly now if the movie isn’t coming out soon.
Eventually another “hot” actor will be interested, and with his box office “charm” will convince another studio to pony up the cash.

I hope the plan for turning Ghost In the Shell into live action isn’t gone, too. I think that would have a lot of potential. You could probably do it without massive amounts of CGI.

I don’t know if they could pawn that one off though. Successfully, that is.

Less Akira is always a good thing

I saw that coming, I mean, Neo-Manhattan…? (tykes…?)

I say the ending could have been pulled off pretty nicely.

I’m one of those bastards who was actually looking forward to this… if just to see how they’d do. No longer, now it’s just going to drop from director to director, until someone finally has the balls to make it. And that person will be ignorant as f**k as to what they’re getting into, and fail.

Agreed. I can’t believe people don’t want mainstream publicity for the anime industry.

I was never a big fan of the anime, but I do think a live action film could have been a good thing. Akira in 2 or 3 installments would have probably been worth the effort. To me, the movie felt rushed. I think they needed to develop the story a little, then it would have been a true masterpiece.
Slick

NOOOO!! I was really excited about it now my dream isnt coming true :angry:

This was the one movie adaptation I wasn’t too worried about because it looked like Leonard Di Caprio might have been a good director for it. It doesn’t phase me either way though since I was never a big Akira fan.

Just picture Leo as Kaneda for a few seconds and realize this might not be such a bad thing.

Report: Book of Eli’s Hughes Brothers in Akira Talks

posted on 2010-02-10 13:54 EST
Menace II Society directors in reported talks over Katsuhiro Otomo’s manga

“Ghost in the Shell” Writer, “Akira”'s DiCaprio Interviewed

posted on 2010-02-18 12:08 EST

Live-Action Akira Film Plans Get New Writer

posted on 2010-06-18 11:52 EDT
Albert Torres writes for Book of Eli helmer Albert Hughes; visual artists in pre-production

Book of Eli’s Albert Hughes: Warner Wants PG-13 Akira

posted on 2010-06-22 21:01 EDT
Director to only do 1st film; project in development with next script in September

Efron Not Starring in Akira, Mandate Nixes Oldboy Rumor

posted on 2010-11-11 07:33 EST
Hollywood reps address recent casting rumors for manga film adaptations

[size=20]Live-Action Akira Plans Get Harry Potter Scriptwriter[/size]
posted on 2011-02-18 08:05 EST
Steve Kloves also wrote Wonder Boys, wrote/directed The Fabulous Baker Boys

The producers of the planned live-action film adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo’s Akira science-fiction manga have hired Steve Kloves to polish the latest draft of the scripts. Kloves wrote the screenplays for all of the films based of J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter novels except the fifth one. He also wrote the Wonder Boys film, and he wrote and directed The Fabulous Baker Boys film.

Albert Hughes (Menace II Society, From Hell, The Book of Eli) is attached to direct the project for Warner Brothers. The project’s cast and release date have not been established yet.

Screenwriter Gary Whitta was previously attached to the project, which actor Leonardo DiCaprio (Titanic, Inception) is producing through his Appian Way production company. According to ComingSoon.net, Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby also worked on the films’ scripts before another writer, Albert Torres was hired to script the most recent draft last year.

Mad Chance’s Andrew Lazar, DiCaprio, Appian Way’s Jennifer Davisson Killoran, Hughes, and his brother Allen Hughes will produce the project. Otomo directed his own animated film adaptation that premiered on July 16, 1988 — the same day that the story has the fictional Tokyo being destroyed. Otomo will serve as an executive producer of the live-action version through a deal signed by his publisher, Kodansha.